Stotts Is Mediocre

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by blue9, Jan 31, 2015.

1. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

I'm starting to see a fair bit of posts questioning the coaching our team is receiving. (Finally.) Here's a thread to capture all of it.
    Go!

2. Daweez04

Daweez04 Well-Known Member

Senior Buyer
    Crabbe either starts or doesn't play. Makes perfect sense.

Batum is clearly hurting and not helping this team, continue to play him.

Letting Wright to continue to play when pump fake, drive and turning it over is the reg for him. I would pull his ass the second he pump fakes either a wide open 3, or when standing 6 feet behind the arc.

That's all I have for now.

3. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

I still have faith in Stotts, you've gotta be forgetting how he out coached McHale if you don't have some faith in him. That said, I do hold some skepticism regarding the adjustments(or lack of) he has made this year.

I don't understand why Crabbe isn't seeing more time on the court. I don't understand why he doesn't force Nic to sit out for some time. I don't know why he didn't add more plays that feature the ball going into Wes on a post up. It would help free him and his team mates up from three, exploit the opponent, tire them out, and take some pressure off of LA in the block. Stotts is above average if you look at the rest of the coaches in the NBA. Only a pessimist would say otherwise, seeing how 1/2 the other teams in the NBA aren't even in playoff position.

4. Kontrarian

Kontrarian New Member

My biggest problem with him this year is his rotations while RoLo and Joel are out.
    Why are we starting Kaman?
    Blake and Kaman have great chemistry on the second unit.
    I would rather see Leonard start and keep the Blake/Kaman combo intact.
    Depending on your opponent you might even go small with Wright or Crabbe and put LMA at the 5.
    Kaman doesn't bring enough to the starting line up to justify what we lose by having him on the second unit.

5. Daweez04

Daweez04 Well-Known Member

Senior Buyer
    While I haven't lost faith in Stotts, a monkey with a clipboard can out coach McHale.

ChadWick likes this.
  6. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

Stotts is not the problem - and this is coming from someone who originally thought he was an awful hire!

Given what Stotts has to work with, he has done a very fine job. The starters are busted up and the bench is still a liability.

7. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

Reminds me of a quote from the TV show Frasier.

"My god a cockatoo with a strong beak could do what you do"

"Yeah, I heard your show. What's the matter, the cockatoo want too much money?"

8. Duvalier

Duvalier Active Member

Most of the posts are from you...go back in your archive and look.

9. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Huge mistake. Kaman is a vet and knows the speed of the game coming out of the gate. As much improvement I have seen in Meyers, he is absolutely not ready to start against other starting centers in the league. We will get worked in the paint. We already struggle coming out of the gate and this, in my opinion, would only exacerbate it.
    Also, you put LMA at 5 and we will be worked by most power forwards in the league. LMA has been candid about not wanting to play the 5.

I think Stotts is doing the best he can considering all the injuries going on. Crabbe was getting minutes, then he stopped producing. The line on him a game or two ago when he started for Nico? Wasnt it like 2 pts, 0 rebounds and an assist?
    In no way has Crabbe showed me that he will provide anything more than an injured Nico on the court.

To me this isnt a stotts thing. This is an Allen/Olshey thing. How many threads are there about trades or potential trades?
    The longer we let our bench sit and not prove themselves, or get on the floor and then lose stock (CJ or example) the harder it will be to find and get that missing wing player without giving up too much.
    We have a solid 7 man lineup, 8 if you throw Meyers in there ( obviously when healthy). We need one more solid bench player. a solid wing to compliment kaman on the inside, blake running the show, and Meyers outside shooting. They need a guy who can create his own shot, drive to the lane with consistency and know how to kick it out to Meyers.
    I dont know who it is, but I have to believe that Crabbe, Claver, Trob and a draft pick gets us that? These are all expendable players if we do have the right 9th guy off the bench.
    I think Barton has more upside to his career than any of the others. Id like to sit on him another year and see how his development might be. Maybe he is this slasher we need? Right now he is just too inconsistent, but a year or two from now with some better decision making? He has a good outside shot, he can drive to the hole and has decent hands. Just sometimes empty in the noggin.

To me Stotts is doing what he can with all the injuries and inconsistent play from the bench. He has tried many different rotations and is quick to yank you if you are not performing. What more could we ask of our coach while going through this season? Almost everyone on the bench has started this year at one point or another, so to say that Stotts isnt doing anything in my opinion is just wrong.

BigGameDamian likes this.
  10. OneLifeToLive

OneLifeToLive Well-Known Member

This. I have seen some blemishes in his coaching game this year. Things I didnt really see last year.

Ironically, it's coming from the offensive end. Everything is outside. I know that's the offense. But if it's not fallin. You better do something else.

11. adrenalize74

adrenalize74 I cant hear you over the sound of how awesome I am

What i blame Stotts for is the way the offense has been operating lately.

There has been little to none plays run, everything is iso with a poor outside shot taken. Stotts needs to get the offense back in control, playing TEAM basketball.

Also, Batum needs to sit, its rediculous that he is playing right now.

UKRAINEFAN and Strenuus like this.
  12. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    I agree with you completely. If Stotts had proper control of this team we would see more fundamental basketball and less Damian playing out of control.

UKRAINEFAN likes this.
  13. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

It's just stupid, all of it. It almost feels like Stotts doesn't have control of the team in some respects.

14. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Stotts is a great coach

Orion Bailey likes this.
  15. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    Thibs could be available this summer...

He wouldn't let this Batum coast go on for too long.

If Thibs were the coach Nic would be nailed to the bench by now.

16. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    There's just no hustle.

17. OneLifeToLive

OneLifeToLive Well-Known Member

Less inclined to think it's a problem with Stotts. It might be an Olshey problem. Interestingly, he just received an extension.

Only time will tell on all.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  18. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Right now, it's Stotts. After this year? Then we could talk about Olshey,

19. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

I find this hilarious. We sure are in an instant world with zero patience and understanding of "X" factors.

Okay, so Meyers started last night against a smaller center. How did that work out?

Stott's is playing the cards he is dealt. You cant magically pull a royal flush out of your ass when your missing high value cards from the deck.

Pull Nico. I agree he needs to rest, but who on this team is able to give a better effort than the INJURED Nic? Crabbe hasnt done it. CJ cant, Wright is darn near worthless, because we have enough 3pt shooters(maybe too many). Victors game has been fairly error free, but nothing glamorous or volume output.

Most people in this thread read like you think Stotts should be sitting Nico because he has LBJ on the bench ready to come in. Okay, we rest Dame, who is starting in his spot? CJ? Barton? Blake? You really think that is going to help this team get more wins?

Stotts is a players coach for sure and this might be his only slight in my opinion so far. Letting guys play hurt, when maybe they shouldnt, but as far as replacing players to get better output? Where are you gonna get it from?

This is a magical year because of what Stotts is doing considering all the issues he has had to deal with. He is looking at tw0 50+ win seasons in a row as long as we can get back on track when full staffed. This is with a young and still budding team and his first true stint as a long term head coach. Stotts is not the issue we have.

20. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

Please help understand the X-factors that we seem to be missing.

Nobody (including Stotts, Hughes, Vanterpool and the rest) has any idea because he never came back in after his initial stint.

I think the problem here is that people think (and I'm tending to agree) that Stotts doesn't realize that Kaman is a Jack of Spades that's usually pretty useful (6th man) but doesn't work if you're in a hand that's a wheel and heart draw (starting alongside Dame and LMA). And that Dorell is a 3 of clubs. He has peeked enough at CJ and Crabbe to see that they're both red, and that's about it. He hasn't even flipped Claver over yet.
    Crabbe has. CJ hasn't had a ton of chances, but the effort, if not the results, is there. Wright is darn near worthless. Victor's game can't be volume output or glamorous because you need to be on the court to produce those things.

Nope, most people are saying Nic should be sitting because he's injured and plays like absolute (expletive adjective) (expletive object). It's only a slight exaggeration to say that most people think a trained monkey could play better and/or with more effort than Nic is playing right now. He doesn't need LBJ on the bench. He doesn't even need Aaron Afflalo or Jeff Green. Yet when you're pulling minutes, starting one night and completely sitting the next 4, racking up the DNPs, you can't possibly know what you have

I think that you might be better if you try to stay focused on the arguments at hand, which have to do with Nic's ineptitude and the big man rotation, rather than a strawman about how Dame needs to sit.

I've spent longer than I should on this.