Stotts vs Doc

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Pinwheel1, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I love Stotts as a coach and I hate Doc as a coach. But when is Terry going to fucking learn that when he goes up against him he can't wait until the game is practically over before he shows his frustration with the refs. Get in their fucking face and start working them early....because Doc sure does.

There are a lot of things that costs us the game. It was not one thing. But come on man figure it out, Doc wears them down all game long. It works! Those two flagrant fouls broke the Blazer's spirit. They were bullshit calls and although he did not have the benefit of the replay, he should have been going berserk. After that the frustration level with the players was evident. They looked beat.

2. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Just to piss you off.

I had hoped that Terry would have cleared up his mistakes from last season (a lot more of them than anyone here cares to admit), but he still uses dumbass rotations that clearly don't work, he still switches PG/SGs on to PFs, and he refuses to call the appropriate time outs to stop the other team's momentum and to regather his team and make adjustments.

I laugh when people tell me that he should have been COTY last season. We got to the playoffs because of Dame, not because of him.

I'm calling it now: we'll lose 7 games this year because of Stotts.

WillG likes this.
  3. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

If you think being up in a ref's face all game whining:
    1. Endears you to the official.
    2. Gets you calls.
    You would be sorely mistaken.

4. Pinwheel1

Well I go to quite a bit of Clipper games (as I get the tickets for free) and while the refs clearly do not like him..... he still gets calls that he shouldn't. Every game he is working them. When it starts working against him.....I will believe you.

blue32, noknobs and BlazerBeav like this.
  5. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    Selling your soul for an extra 1% chance to win isn't worth it. I'm glad we don't have a coach that's a complete dick.

6. Pinwheel1

I am glad we don't either. But when we play the Clippers he needs to be more assertive. He was in the playoffs last year ....starting in game 3. He doesn't have to be a dick, he just has to be proactive with the antics the Clippers are known for. Like FLOPPING

blue32 and Wizard Mentor like this.
  7. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    It's tempting to nitpick on a lot of little things. The plain truth is that our starters soundly beat their starters, but our reserves were completely killed. That will happen from time to time.

BBert likes this.
  8. Pinwheel1

Like I said, there were a lot of things that costs us the game. There was not just one.

But yeah I am going to nit pick on this, because I hate losing to the Clippers. Now we play them two more times this season....both in LA, and I am not liking the pattern of how those games go down here. It reminds me too much of the Jazz games in SLC back in the Stockton -Malone era. Sloan did the exact same thing as Doc does. And it worked then too.

RipCityDSCPL and Wizard Mentor like this.
  9. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

One thing that is true, due to human nature, is that a whiny coach brings about awareness. But just because you see a bad call doesn't mean whining got him that call. Ref code is:

You don't reward "chipping".

chip
    /CHip/

verb

To complain, whine, suggest a call be made, or make calls from the sideline whilst coaching.

10. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

This will not get us more calls. Plain and simple.

11. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

What makes you think a ref wants to make a call for a coach being a whiny asshole? Refs dislike coaches as much as they dislike us. You make the call you see regardless of who's whining. You do this because someone's gonna whine when you blow your whistle or not, even on no-calls.

It did not work. You were imagining it.

H.C. likes this.
  12. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

With you 100%

My only frustration last night was on Stotts. Get a T!!!! Its the only way to force the refs league to start reviewing these things that I know of.
    When Blake bearhugged Plums and nothing was called but then Plums tapped him in the back for seconds later and Griffin did his flop, Sotts should have come unglued. At the LEAST got a T.

13. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

That only helps get the team fired up. It doesn't do one thing to garner more/correct calls.

14. Pinwheel1

So how does super star status work? Is Napier going to get the same benefit of the doubt that CP3 does when he reaches in? Did MJ (Michael or Magic) not get away with traveling a little more than a rookie might have? Do certain teams and players not get a way with fouling just a little more because they have a reputation for playing tough defense? Do refs ever blow the whistle just to "even things up" ? Or are all the calls made based purely on how the refs sees it at that specific time?

IMHO refs in the NBA are different than refs at other levels. Not sure if you ref games or not, or at what level, but if you do......do any of the players or coaches call you by your first name like they do in the NBA? I am guessing very few if any. I think there are a lot more factors that come into play at this level.

That all being said, I never believe a refs roots for a team or a coach over another. But like you said "due to human nature, a whiny coach brings about awareness." This is all I am asking for against the Clippers. He doesn't have to do it every game. And then when a bad call occurs....get pissed and let them know they missed the call badly. Because make up calls will occur.

Again I appreciate how professional Terry is during games. But against certain teams he might want to tweak his style just a bit.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  15. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

I wasn't thinking so much about the in game effects, but I thought when T''s are called the refs league reviews them? Maybe I am wrong. I am thinking of an outburst that causes the league to review things after the game and then hopefully start to clamp down.

16. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Doc disgusts me, he symbolizes what is wrong with his team. He is a dirty, whiny, scumbag. His team are a bunch of dirty. whiny, scumbags. Coaches are suppose to lead by example, to be a positive influence for their team. Griffin and Co were scumbags before he got there, and he has only made them lower. That the NBA allows it is disgusting. I'm glad that Stotts and the Blazers take the high ground, we win with our hearts not with our mouths and flailing bodies.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
    Orion Bailey likes this.
  17. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    I think what you say makes sense, dviss1, but I've always wondered why the refs at the NBA level let certain coaches get in their ears so much. When Doc is seen on the sidelines whining to the ref about every single call it does nothing to improve the image of the officiating in the NBA. A few times a game when there's a particularly questionable call, sure, but why let him bitch so much? I haven't been in an official's shoes, but I think my approach would be to listen a couple of times and then start pushing back by telling him to cut it out and, eventually if necessary, T-ing him up. If the refs around the league would take that approach consistently it would do a lot to cut down on the blatant whining.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  18. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I'd like to see them fight. I bet Stotts would whoop his ass

19. Chris Craig

I definately would be afraid to blow my whistle if a coach was bitchin in my ear...id give him a couple warnings too, and then if keeps whining, whistle first T. Then for the rest of the game that coach even comes near me, I'd be like, you wanna stay in this game, and point to his bench...i wouldn't take that shit all. Neither would I condone flopping...I'd call players out....nice flop and laugh at em

Orion Bailey and e_blazer like this.
  20. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I have one thing to say to the Clippers....Karma's a bitch...remember the playoffs last season when you were limping to the finish line? See how those old vets are in March....Raymond Felton will be gasping by then

Orion Bailey and Chris Craig like this.