Summer League: Game 1

Discussion in 'Cleveland Cavaliers' started by bronbron23, Jul 8, 2007.

1. bronbron23

bronbron23 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post"> Cleveland 67, San Antonio 53

LAS VEGAS, July 7, 2007 -- Through the first fifteen minutes of the game between the Cleveland Cavaliers and the San Antonio Spurs the lead changed hands six times and the score was tied on six occasions. The final lead change occurred with 5:04 remaining in the second quarter on a three-point shot made by Cleveland?s Darius Rice, en route to a 67-53 victory by the Cavaliers.

The Spurs held a one-point advantage after the first period of play, but Cleveland wound up making up the difference with a 23-to-16 advantage in the second.

The Cavaliers were paced by a Rice?s 19 points (7-13 FG). Shannon Brown followed closely behind Rice?s performance with 18 points of his own. Brown shot only 4-14 from the field, but was 9-10 from the free throw stripe.

San Antonio got double-digit efforts from James White and C.J. Watson. White pitched in 12 points (3-9 FG, 5-6 FT), while Watson had 10 (2-12 FG, 6-8 FT).

The Cavaliers lost the services of their guard Daniel Gibson in the second quarter, but not before he assisted on Rice?s game-changing shot. Gibson left the contest after receiving a right eye laceration when he was attempting to block Cheyne Gadson with 1:21 remaining before the half. Gibson did not return after receiving stitches. </div>

source

Brown and Rice had a good game, I'm sure every other Cav fan is keeping a close eye on Brown because of the increase of minutes we hope he gets next season should be earned through summer league games, if he can put up around 20ppg a night consistently then I can imagine he will be able to crack the rotation come regular season. Brown had 18 points half coming from the stripe, not too bad, but had 5 TO which isn't great but he could of done a lot worse.

I am also hoping Dijon Thompson can put up some good performances as well he's only 6'7" can rebound he had 9 points and 9 rebounds in game 1.

2. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

That's what I'm talking about Shannon! Hopefully he gets that rotation spot based off of his play in Vegas this summer, because I can't take another year of watching his talent rot on the bench when he could be a major contributer on most other squads.

Hopefully the Cavs will be seeing a lot of this next season -

Invalid Video Link

and this...

Invalid Video Link

3. Master Shake

Master Shake young phoenix

<div class="quote_poster">Voodoo Child Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">That's what I'm talking about Shannon! Hopefully he gets that rotation spot based off of his play in Vegas this summer, because I can't take another year of watching his talent rot on the bench when he could be a major contributer on most other squads.

Hopefully the Cavs will be seeing a lot of this next season -

Invalid Video Link

and this...

Invalid Video Link</div>

I would cream my jeans. He was so good in College. I want him to play like that, so he can become a great player for the Cavs.

4. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class="quote_poster">Master Shake Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I would cream my jeans. He was so good in College. I want him to play like that, so he can become a great player for the Cavs.</div>

I've seen guys like Tim Duncan, Dwyane Wade, Jason Richardson, Carmelo Anthony, and recently Kevin Durant play college ball, and none of them impressed me the way Brown did. This sounds overly dramatic, but it really hurt me to see him sit on the bench last season, because I knew what he was capable, and I knew he was exactly what the Cavaliers needed. I'm sure it was a problem he had with LeBron James or Mike Brown, because in any other situation, he would have been given his fair share of playing time, or at least a chance. Cleveland didn't even give him an opportunity. When he finally did get consistent playing time in a stretch early in the season, he had a few decent outings, and then out of nowhere they benched him for the rest of the year.

His line tonight - 26 points (11-16 FG), 3 assists
    His summer league averages - 22.0 ppg, 2.5 apg on 50% FG in 31.0 mpg

5. umair

umair "Never underestimate the heart of a champion."

LOL! The cavs finally beat the spurs.. [​IMG] Too bad it wasn't a finals game.

6. bronbron23

bronbron23 JBB JustBBall Member

After watching the summer league Highlights game 2 I think I love Shannon Brown

7. Master Shake

Master Shake young phoenix

<div class="quote_poster">Voodoo Child Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I've seen guys like Tim Duncan, Dwyane Wade, Jason Richardson, Carmelo Anthony, and recently Kevin Durant play college ball, and none of them impressed me the way Brown did. This sounds overly dramatic, but it really hurt me to see him sit on the bench last season, because I knew what he was capable, and I knew he was exactly what the Cavaliers needed. I'm sure it was a problem he had with LeBron James or Mike Brown, because in any other situation, he would have been given his fair share of playing time, or at least a chance. Cleveland didn't even give him an opportunity. When he finally did get consistent playing time in a stretch early in the season, he had a few decent outings, and then out of nowhere they benched him for the rest of the year.

His line tonight - 26 points (11-16 FG), 3 assists
    His summer league averages - 22.0 ppg, 2.5 apg on 50% FG in 31.0 mpg</div>

I think that he came into a team with a "phenom" at his position, and hit was hard for him. I think, trade Hughes for a PF or a better PG, and give Brown time at the SG position, and he can take advantage using his athleticism. With Maurice Ager and Drew Neitzel they were one of the top back courts that year.

What makes me kinda angry was he only averaged only 3.2 PPG this year...how? He can score with ease. He is so athletic, like Tony Allen with a jumper almost. Before Allen was injured. He has strength, body control, tenacity and outstanding vertical leap. He shot 39% from behind the arc as a junior and he is a very good passer for a SG. ( He can actually play the PG position, a type of Baron Davis strength.) He is always in his opponents grill and dictating where he wants to go. He is very easy to coach, and is a good guy overall.

Some things I want to see him work on, past his major athleticism is his mid range jumper. He can go past his man, or pull up for a 3, but I never really saw him make his own space and hit a mid range shot, which I want to see him get. Being 6'3 he is in between sizes, but is so explosive, that once he can develop his mid range shot, wow, watch out. He just needs to be consistent. One night he is amazing, the next, silent. He is a very in you face defender, which I like. Just one thing that stood out to me to prove a theory of his inconsistency, is the game against George Mason. 5 points, 2/11 and he fouled out, not a Shannon Brown night.

Here are some stats from his Junior Year:

17.2 PPG, 4.4 RPG, 1.5 steals and 2.7 assists compared with 2.5 turnovers. He shots a solid 47% from the field, 39% from behind the arc, and 83% from the free throw line.

Solid stats, all across the board, he just needs the chance. I just hope Mike Brown can see this and play him a lot at the SG position.