Summer League Thread

Discussion in 'Cleveland Cavaliers' started by bronbron23, Jul 9, 2007.

1. bronbron23

bronbron23 JBB JustBBall Member

I thought I'd start I thread dedicated to the summer league teams performances rather than start one game after game. Discuss!

Please also post any links to game highlights [​IMG]

2. bronbron23

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">
    Game 2 Recap

Team China Basketball 85, Cleveland 84

Las Vegas, July 8 -- Yi Jianlian’s turnaround jump shot from the right corner with 0.4 seconds left gave Team China an 85-84 win over the Cleveland Cavaliers on Sunday.

With Team China down one, it set a pick and roll with Yi to create a mismatch. When the mismatch happened, they fed Yi on the low post and he put home the game-winner.

Cavs’ Matt Walsh nailed a 3-pointer with 18.3 seconds left to give Cleveland an 84-83 lead before Yi’s heroics.

Yi struggled in the first three quarters, missing all six of his shots. His first field goal did not come until the 9:45 mark of the fourth quarter. However, Yi had a monster fourth quarter, scoring 17 of his team-high 20 points (3-11 FG, 14-17 FT) in the quarter. Yi also grabbed four rebounds and collected eight fouls in the win.

Wang ZhiZhi accounted for 18 points (5-9 FG, 5-6 FT) and seven rebounds for Team China.

2006 first round pick Shannon Brown had a game-high 26 points (11-16 FG) in 32 minutes of action for the Cavs, while Daniel Gibson produced 14 points (2-4 FG, 10-11 FT) in just 17 minutes of play. Gibson suffered a left ankle sprain in the second quarter and did not return.
    </div>
    source

Game Highlights

3. bronbron23

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">
    Game 3 Recap

Cleveland 93, Phoenix 89

Las Vegas, July 9 --Marcus Banks returned to the gym where he once honed his skills as a collegiate athlete. The former UNLV guard set a new summer league record with 42 points, but it wasn’t enough. Banks and the Suns were edged 93-89 by the Cavaliers in the nightcap at Thomas and Mack Center.

Banks' record-setting performance took flight in the final period, where Banks netted 23 points and nearly won the game for Phoenix. During several stretches of the final period Banks became a one man show.

“I just wanted to come out and have fun,” Banks said of his return. “I had a lot of family and friends here and I was glad I was able to put on a show.” Banks shot 68% from the field (13-19 FG), 80% from long range (4-5 3FG) and 86% from the charity stripe (12-14 FT).

“I want to prove to everyone that I can still play,” Banks said. “It’s been a rough road but I just keep on working hard. That’s all I can do.”

Forward Darius Rice led a balanced Cleveland attack which saw four Cavaliers score 15 or more points. Rice had 21 points, Dwayne Jones 18, PJ Tucker 16 and Shannon Brown added 15.

It was the Cavaliers improved to 2-1 with the win. Phoenix dropped to 0-1 in the 2007 NBA Summer League. </div>

source

4. bronbron23

Now I've been looking at Shannon Brown's performances so far in the summer league but I was thinking is he doing enough this far to catch coach Browns eye and potentially replace somebody in the starting lineup?

5. bbwchingy0007

bbwchingy0007 BBW Member

He really needs to break into the rotation first. He will almost certainly not start at the beginning of the regular season, but hopefully he will be able to force more and more minutes with his play.

6. bronbron23

I was thinking maybe Brown will never start him mid season but then again Gibson did it so it's not like he doesn't play rookies/young players