Suns vs Showtime Lakers

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Flow, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Flow

Flow ATLiens

Studdying
    I can hear the protests right now. How can you compare the two teams? One of them is immortal; the other one has never even been in the Finals. You must be nuts.

I hear you. Hey, I agree with you. (Well, not on that last thing -- studies show that I'm only half-nuts.) But simply for argument's sake, let's take a look at how the Phoenix Suns, today's version of Showtime, stack up against the real Showtime, the 1980s Los Angeles Lakers, whose run-and-gun quality can be measured by Magic Johnson's tenure from the 1979-80 season until 1990-91, the season after which he first retired from the NBA after announcing he had the HIV virus.

The comparison makes some sense. (Except for, you know, that championship thing.) The Suns, like the Lakers, are far and away the most entertaining team to watch in their era. The "Showtime" Suns have led the league in scoring the last two seasons (since Steve Nash arrived as a free agent and Mike D'Antoni took over full-time as coach) and are atop most offensive categories right now. They are clearly the best in a league that doesn't score much.

The Lakers were the best in a league that did score a lot. In fact, though the Lakers averaged 114.1 points per game in that 12-year Magic era, they led the league in scoring only once, in 1986, one of the years they didn't make the Finals. Still, any observer with half a brain knew that they were the best and most efficient offensive team in the league. And even as the Showtime Lakers earned five titles (1980, '82, '85, '87 and '88) and lost in four other Finals (to the Philadelphia 76ers in '83, the Boston Celtics in '84, the Detroit Pistons in '89 and the Chicago Bulls in '91), they were criticized, believe it or not, for being too offensive-oriented and not tough enough, the two negatives attached to the Suns.

So, for what's it worth, here's how the teams stack up, based on a 10-point must system for the superior player.

James Worthy vs Shawn Marion

Small Forward
    I always considered Worthy, who played on the last three Showtime championship teams, the most underrated Laker starter. He was a great finisher (important when you're getting dished by Magic Johnson), had decent perimeter range (though he was not a three-point shooter), made big shots and was a more than adequate passer when double-teamed. Marion is nowhere near as polished an offensive player as Worthy, but he has three-point range, which is important in the Suns' everybody-can-shoot-it offense. He is a much better rebounder than Worthy and more versatile on defense (though Worthy was not bad). Worthy is in the Hall of Fame, but this one is closer than you might think.

Kurt Rambis
    Bob McAdoo
    A.C. Green
    Maurice Lucas
    M. Thompson vs Boris Diaw

Power Forward
    As you can see, this position underwent some transition in the Magic years. The point is, the Lakers always got something out of it -- points from McAdoo, toughness from Rambis and Lucas, rebounding and shot-blocking from Mychal Thompson, and a little of everything from Green, the most famous self-professed virgin in Los Angeles. (Maybe the only self-professed virgin in Los Angeles.) Diaw hasn't been around long enough to put himself in esteemed power-forward company, but his obvious potential makes this a virtual dead heat. He has become a good defender, and his passing ability from the four-spot gives the Suns two legit unselfish see-the-floor distributors. That is a huge advantage that the Lakers never really had.
    Boris Diaw

Kareem-Abdul Jabbar vs Amare Stoudemire
    Center
    Now how is Stoudemire supposed to win this one? A-J is the greatest scorer in NBA history and was still averaging 23.4 points per game when he was 39 years old. Further, his low-post presence was the perfect complement to a Showtime offense. The break wasn't there? Big deal. Throw it into the Big Fella with the shot clock going down and let him finish things off with a sky hook. But Stoudemire can do something Abdul-Jabbar never could: Join the break. He is part of Showtime, not a complement to it. But he has a long, long way to go to match Abdul-Jabbar, as smart a player as ever walked on the court, as a defender and all-around presence.

Byron Scott
    Norm Nixon vs Raja Bell

Shooting Guard
    Nixon was already a fixture in L.A. when Magic came along; it took him a while to cede backcourt supremacy. Scott always knew what he was -- an outlet for Magic -- and I considered him underappreciated. He was a good leaper and an athletic alternative on the break. I was surprised to find that he had never made an All-Star team. Bell is an atypical shooting guard, frequently the last option in the up-tempo offense and a player who doesn't often create his own shot. But he has become a feared 3-point bomber, and his hard-nosed defense gives the Suns whatever nasty edge they have. (Sort of like what Rambis did for the Lakers.)

Magic Johnson vs Steve Nash

Point Guard
    This harkens back to the Abdul-Jabbar-Stoudemire comparison. Magic is, in my opinion, the greatest point guard in NBA history, one whose size, brains, competitiveness and leadership abilities propelled the Lakers to the top. Nash, at least eight inches shorter, is not and never will be Magic, who won an NBA championship in his rookie season and was at the apex of his sport for well over a decade. Nash didn't make an All-Star team until his sixth season and was not added to the '04 squad. So, if the question is, does Steve Nash belong among history's greatest point guards, right there beside Magic, Bob Cousy, Oscar Robertson, John Stockton and Isiah Thomas, my reply is: Not if the standard is longevity. But right now -- right now -- Nash is performing as well as any point guard who ever played the game. His playmaking and leadership speaks for itself, but no lead guard has ever shot as well as he, both from inside and outside the three-point arc.

Michael Cooper vs Leandro Barbosa
    Sixth Man
    With the exception of the '90-91 season, Cooper was a third guard throughout Magic's Showtime tenure in L.A. He was perfect for the role, able to generate energy on offense (he usually led the team in 3-point makes and attempts) and defense (he was aggressive, long-armed, and, like Bell, somewhat the smiling assassin.) Barbosa is just coming into his own but has been an important part of Phoenix's success this season. He's not as good a defender as Cooper, but he's a much better offensive player, even as a run-the-team quarterback. Still, Cooper did it for so much longer ...

OK, so that gives the Lakers a clear advantage, 60-53 by this primitive scoring system. That is to be expected when comparing a multi-time champion to a team just trying to get out of its own conference. But I'll tell you this: Put these two teams on the court with their respective offenses functioning at max level, and it would be a helluva game.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writ...time/index.html

2. phunDamentalz

phunDamentalz JBB JustBBall Member

lol, I thought you wrote that, I was like "I Thought this kid was still learning English, he seems to have come a long way!"

3. The Dream

The Dream mama there goes that man!

Lakers > Suns.....I really think it would be an interesting matchup, but Kareem > Amare is the biggest difference maker imo....plus the Lakers were better defensively and Magic's length would be advantage at the point....