Super Bowl massacre averted at last minute

Discussion in 'NFL General' started by Dissonance19, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Dissonance19

Dissonance19 Member

<a href="http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/108361" target="_blank">link
    </a>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>A distraught Tempe man was within sight of the Super Bowl on Sunday with an assault rifle, but a change of heart kept him from unloading 200 rounds of ammunition on the crowd, court records show.

Kurt William Havelock, 35, turned himself in Sunday to Tempe police and the FBI at the urging of family and confessed his plan, which he hatched in retaliation for the Tempe City Council rejecting a liquor license application for a restaurant and bar he owns.

According to court records, Havelock is charged with mailing threatening communications in the mailing of eight copies of a “manifesto” explaining the planned massacre.

“I will test the theory that bullets speak louder than words ... I will slay your children. I will shed the blood of the innocent, No one destroys my dream. No one.”

Magistrate Judge Edward V. Ross said in a hearing in U.S. District Court on Tuesday: “I haven’t read more chilling words, and I’ve been doing this a long time.” Ross found Havelock was a danger to the public and ordered him held without bail.

Havelock on Sunday mailed copies of the manifesto intended for friends and media from a post office at 59th and Peoria avenues in Glendale, but authorities were able to intercept them.

In the letters he says his family has been attacked and the futures of his children have been destroyed.

In October, Havelock was before the Tempe City Council to get approval for a liquor license application for a restaurant called The Haunted Castle, a Halloween-theme bar where horror-theme bands and actors could gather to promote themselves, according to city records.

Liquor licenses are typically rubber-stamped by city councils, whose votes are only advisory.

The State Liquor Board makes the final decision.

Council members, however, got word from a blog written by Havelock that the business would be called Drunkenstein’s and questioned him about it.

Havelock said there would be a sign with that name but would be only one corner of the business at 6463 S. Rural Road.

The council voted 6-1 to deny the application, which is still pending before the liquor board.

“Alas, this all boils down to an econopolitical confrontation. I cannot outvote, outspend, outtax, or outincarcerate my enemies,” Havelock wrote in the manifesto. “But for a brief moment I can outgun them.”

According to court testimony by FBI Special Agent Philip Thorlin and Havelock’s father, Frank Havelock, he bought an AR-15 assault rifle on Jan. 29 from Scottsdale Gun Club.

Thorlin described the rifle as the U.S. military’s weapon of choice.

Havelock began Sunday by going back to the gun club for target practice, but there was a private function and he couldn’t get in. Besides the rifle, Havelock was carrying at the time six 30-round magazines and 20 loose rounds.

Thorlin said Havelock’s original destination was Desert Ridge Marketplace in northeast Phoenix. It’s unclear according to court documents why Havelock changed his mind about Desert Ridge and headed for Glendale instead.

He drove to different post offices in the West Valley to obtain the envelopes and postage for his copies of the manifesto and mailed them before he went to the parking lot of Jobing.com Arena, which can be seen from University of Phoenix Stadium, where a host of activities were happening before the 4:30 p.m. kickoff.

“He waited about a minute and decided he couldn’t do this,” Thorlin said.

Havelock then called his fiancee and met his parents at his Tempe condominium.

“He was very upset, he was sobbing hysterically,” Frank Havelock said. “He said, ‘I’ve done something terribly, terribly wrong.’ ”</div>

2. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Thank god he came to his senses and didn't kill 200 innocent people over a freakin' liquor license ruling. I hope he finds peace for himself.

3. cpawfan

cpawfan Monsters do exist

Since nothing actually did happen, I'm willing to make this joke

This is nothing compared with what Suns fans will do if the Shaq deal doesn't work out

4. ghoti

ghoti A PhD in Horribleness

He would have ruined one of the best days of my life!

5. DolfanDale

DolfanDale Active Member

Ironically, he would have missed his target audience. The fat cats that he wanted to pay back were probably the types that could actually get into the Super Bowl. I'm sure the folks, that were participating in the other attractions that the NFL had set up, were people who couldn't afford Super Bowl tickets and had no political pull to get in. It would have been folks that were probably headed to a sports bar or back home to watch the actual game. I bet a lot of the dead would have been kids. I'm glad he didn't pull the trigger and I really hope that he gets the help that he needs to put his life back together the best that he can.

6. GMJ

GMJ Suspended

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cpawfan @ Feb 7 2008, 07:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Since nothing actually did happen, I'm willing to make this joke</div>

Now you guys finally know how pissed I was about the Cowboys not making the Super Bowl...and my planned restauraunt.

7. Денг Гордон

Денг Гордон Member

To be fair, that was a BS vote on the liquor license.

8. downunderwonder

downunderwonder You have now entered area 51!

Co-sign Avril. who gives a shit what its called. They serve alcohol. Do people go to bars to drink low alcohol beer and have quiet civilised conversation? eeeh no.

9. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    Sounds like something that happens at a Euro soccer game or when Detroit wins the NBA championship.

10. Big Frame

Big Frame Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Denny Crane @ Feb 7 2008, 10:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Sounds like something that happens at a Euro soccer game or when Detroit wins the NBA championship.</div>

My god, that is not right...No one dies at Euro Soccer games.

11. TheBeef

TheBeef Commish of FUN!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Big Frame @ Feb 8 2008, 05:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Denny Crane @ Feb 7 2008, 10:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Sounds like something that happens at a Euro soccer game or when Detroit wins the NBA championship.</div>

</div>

yeah, no one....
    http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...;pagewanted=all

12. Thoth

Thoth Sisyphus in training

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Big Frame @ Feb 8 2008, 05:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Denny Crane @ Feb 7 2008, 10:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Sounds like something that happens at a Euro soccer game or when Detroit wins the NBA championship.</div>

</div>

We all know soccer players and the fans are the most civil & low key on the planet.

13. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    Don't you hate it when the cop tells you to stop bleeding all over his car?

14. Petey

Petey Super Sized Sexy, The Bulls Fan Killer! Staff Member Administrator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (blackadder @ Feb 8 2008, 11:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Big Frame @ Feb 8 2008, 05:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Denny Crane @ Feb 7 2008, 10:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Sounds like something that happens at a Euro soccer game or when Detroit wins the NBA championship.</div>

</div>

We all know soccer players and the fans are the most civil & low key on the planet.
    </div>

Not only violence w/ fans; but pretty sure there have been more on field-deaths in soccer than any other sport this year.

-Petey

15. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

16. Hudge

Hudge Active Member

What a loser. Oh no I didn't get my liquor license. Instead of appealling against them or trying to improve my case I'm going to kill 200 innocent people.