Politics Supreme Court Rules That Civil Rights Act Protects Gay and Transgender People

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Minstrel, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
  2. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

How long since we've had good news?

Not naive, race and sex discrimination have been illegal for decades and still happen but enormous victory. Very clear decision. A big weapon in fight for equality.

Roberts and Gorsuch are not moderate, they are hard right but believe in rule of law. Alito, Thomas, Kavanaugh pure ideologues.

3. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

First good news of 2020, definitely. Of course I fully expect the court to balance this decision out with a horrible one in the next few days.

barfo

4. Minstrel

User Interface Designer
  5. Sedatedfork

Sedatedfork Rip City Rhapsody

This is huge news. I'm curious to see if this changes Romer v. Evans (the Colorado "special rights" case). Not sure if there will be any tests to this queued up, but it would seem to create a strict scrutiny standard for any laws that treat LGBTQ differently. Also, this is really a landmark decision as it would protect LGBTQ workers particularly in any states that don't have a state law protecting them, which are a shockingly large amount. Texas for example is a large state with several large cities and has no LGBTQ anti-discrimination laws on its books.

6. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Landmark! Not expected from such a conservative SC. It seemed they were stacked right to vote for conservative values, i.e keeping gay and transgender people down. Glad they set politics aside and dealt with law like they are supposed to.

7. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

If I remember correctly when Gorsuch was confirmed there was speculation that he might be open to gay rights as an exception to his otherwise ultra-conservative ideology.

barfo

8. Minstrel

User Interface Designer
    In general, Gorsuch seems to be more sympathetic to the rights of workers than most conservatives, based on his judicial record. That seems to be what separates him from him the Scalia-like wing: Thomas, Alito, Kavenaugh. They will always go ultra-right on every issue.

9. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

This also strengthens fight against Trump administration's antigay executive orders. From banning trans service members, to allowing medical personnel to deny service, to HUD saying Section 8 housing and homeless shelters can discriminate (the one and only thing Ben Carson did). If employment discrimination is illegal, how is housing/health care discrimination legal?

10. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

It's not. Trump is very unhappy

11. Stevenson

Stevenson Old School

Writer
    John Roberts has proven himself to be an excellent Chief Justice.

He is conservative, yes, but fair. Not doctrinaire. He voted in favor of this with Gorsuch and the libs, and he voted to uphold Obamacare too. He gave Kennedy the gay marriage opinion to write, knowing that Kennedy was very in favor of that. And he is not in Trump's pocket. Impressive guy.

12. SportsAndWhine

SportsAndWhine Dumbass For Hire

Definitely so happy about this today. Absolute landmark ruling, with a definitive 6-3 vote, and it can be used as precedence for the definition of sex and gender legally going forward in other discrimination cases, such as those surely to come against the administration’s stripping of trans and disabled health care coverage.

13. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

It's good to see that unlike the spineless GOP senate, we still have one branch of government that is ruled by law and decency...

Lanny and Stevenson like this.
  14. SportsAndWhine

SportsAndWhine Dumbass For Hire

The trans woman who’s case the SCOTUS heard didn’t live to see the judgment.

Every bit of progress in the government only comes after years of struggle and fighting, often real. They only gave us rights because we gave them riots. It’s possible they ruled this way to prevent more intense protests, which is a victory the protesters should take.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  15. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    Cross your fingers, barfo.

16. Lanny

I'm certain that Trump's stupid executive order on health care discrimination will soon be negated as will all other discrimination covered by federal law.
    My wife and I were overjoyed about this ruling.
    Yes, a bright spot in an otherwise dreary Trump world.

SportsAndWhine likes this.
  17. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

Bigots having a sad. Some rightists said this is the day the Trump re-election died. He had promised to fill courts with judges who would get rid of gay rights and give all white men guns and get scary brown people out. In one day supreme Court ruled in favor of gay rights and refused to hear cases on sanctuary cities and guns

I'm just afraid they will balance this with really horrible decisions on upcoming cases, including DACA, enforced religion, women's rights.

SportsAndWhine likes this.
  18. Lanny

I look on this as a sign of an intellectual court paving the way for more intellectual decisions.

I'd like to add that my wife and I feel like homosexuals can do whatever other people do as long as they don't otherwise interfere in our lives. Of course this is so basic that there's really no meaning in mentioning it. Like you guys (male, female, whatever) usually do just ignore my post.

19. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

What would I want to interfere in your life? And why do I need permission or approval for mine?

My gay agenda for today, go to store before senior hour ends. Living my life.

20. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

All due respect I have to disagree. Legal scholars have said the Roberts court has overturned more precedent than any court in history, from voting rights to equal pay to campaign finance. And all in one direction; police power over citizens, corporations over consumers and environment, employers over workers. Roberts was nominated by Bush due to his long history of judicial opposition to voting rights. All the voter suppression and hyperpartisan gerrymandering are direct consequences of overturning voting rights act. I thought Roberts might support marriage equality because he is so pro-corporate and business tended to support it - not because companies love gay folks but because of the headache of having employees who were married on one state and not in another, but he opposed marriage equality. And he never met a women's right he didn't oppose.

Citizens United was unique in American and Western jurisprudence; for the first time corporations were defined as people and money as speech, so to limit the amount of money corporations could give in elections was a restriction on free speech. So elections became more corrupt. In Hobby Lobby the court determined corporations also have religions, and a company's "religion" takes precedence over the view of employees. So companies can deny birth control if it's against their religion, regardless of the beliefs of the employee. They ruled companies can deny people service if it violates their "religion". I see little to admire in Roberts.

SportsAndWhine and Minstrel like this.