T.J. Ford: Face of the team?

Discussion in 'Milwaukee Bucks' started by Ice, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Ice

Ice JBB Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting :</div><div class="quote_post">Each time the Milwaukee Bucks go on the road this season, coach Terry Porter is asked by reporters about one player more than any other.

Would it be Michael Redd, the team's leading scorer? Or Tim Thomas, who has been with the team longer than any other player? Maybe Desmond Mason, the resident high-flyer?

No, no and no.

The one who invariably draws the most attention is rookie point guard T.J. Ford, who slowly but surely is becoming the face of the team.

"He's a young man who wants to get better," Porter said. "He wants to learn as much as he can and increase that learning curve where he can get better. He asks a lot of questions to me but Erick Strickland and Damon Jones, he talks to them quite a bit, too, about the position. I think he has a good support group around him as far as players on the team and myself who have played that position."</div>

Full Story

2. starman85

starman85 JBB JustBBall Member

That's something that sounds encouraging, a coach and the veteran teammates standing behind a young player like that, especially in Ford's case.

Ford, IMO, can be one of the top 5 points of the next decade with his quickness and passing ability. With such a great point as Terry Porter as his coach, the bank is open for withdrawals. I was worried how Jones and Strickland would respond to all the attention Ford gets, but its good that they seem to be cooperating.

3. Crossover

Crossover JBB JustBBall Member

I'm enjoying seeing him rise to fame. Last year, I was stuck between who I'd favor in the Texas/Syracuse matchup, and I went with Carmelo. However, TJ Ford is a great young player, and always tries his hardest.

And if you watch the games, a lot of Redd's buckets have an assist tag that says "Ford" on it.

4. Rave

Rave JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Crossover:</div><div class="quote_post">I'm enjoying seeing him rise to fame. Last year, I was stuck between who I'd favor in the Texas/Syracuse matchup, and I went with Carmelo. However, TJ Ford is a great young player, and always tries his hardest.

And if you watch the games, a lot of Redd's buckets have an assist tag that says "Ford" on it.</div>

I myself hadn't heard much of him or Zach Randolph or him till I came here, I'm yet to see them play but I'm as hyped as I was when I first saw Butler, Wade and Crawford. Hopefully he'll make it big like Kirilenko or Boykins and stick with some greats like Redd and Mason.

5. TimFlem

TimFlem JBB JustBBall Member

Watching him out of High School I said to my cousin he's going to be a good NBA Player. Looks he's proved me right. with the strive to win and the will to play this boy is going to be so hot the next couple of seasons IMO.

6. BRockwell

BRockwell JBB JustBBall Member

I think TJ Ford is a saavy player and if he can learn to shoot it a bit he'll be a good one. If that's the case he and Mike Redd will be a fantastic backcourt for the Bucks over the next several years.

However, if his shooting doesn't improve drastically, he could be in for a Jamaal Tinsley/Brevin Knight type of career. Which is Ok, but he's capable of so much better.

7. bbwAce

bbwAce BBW Member

Yeah Ford will be incredible...I see him averaging 14 ppg/9 apg as career numbers...once he develops a killer jumper he'll be literally unstoppable...I used to love watchin him at UT...