Tau Vitoria Fire Coach Spahija, Extend Splitter 'till 2012

Discussion in 'International Basketball' started by kobimel, Jun 8, 2008.

1. kobimel

kobimel Hapoel

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Tau Ceramica has announced that All-Euroleague center Tiago Splitter has extended his contract for four more years, until the end of the 2011-12 season. Soon after that, Tau also made official that head coach Neven Spahija will not be with the team next season, as the club will not exercise its option to extend his contract. Splitter (211, 23) was under contract for one more season but has the chance to buy out his contract for an affordable amount of money this summer.</div>

http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/32889/180/item

Spahija has won 3 straight championships (Lietuvos Rytas, Maccabi Tel-Aviv, Tau Vitoria) in 3 different leagues (Lithuanian, Israeli, Spanish) , and been fired from/left all three teams. Interesting, I wonder which team'll pick him up this season? Efes Pilsen have already signed Atamaran, Blatt went to Dynamo Moscow. Unicaja Malaga need a coach, and Spahija looks like a right fit given his recent success in the ACB.

As for Splitter, looks like he won't be joining the NBA anytime soon. Maybe he'll go in his late prime like Parker, Scola and Jasikevicius?

2. Kid Chocolate

Kid Chocolate Suspended

Anything that hurts the Spurs is music to my ears. I figured Splitter wouldn't be coming over, as it looked bleek the past couple months.

3. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kobimel @ Jun 8 2008, 04:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Tau Ceramica has announced that All-Euroleague center Tiago Splitter has extended his contract for four more years, until the end of the 2011-12 season. Soon after that, Tau also made official that head coach Neven Spahija will not be with the team next season, as the club will not exercise its option to extend his contract. Splitter (211, 23) was under contract for one more season but has the chance to buy out his contract for an affordable amount of money this summer.</div>

As for Splitter, looks like he won't be joining the NBA anytime soon. Maybe he'll go in his late prime like Parker, Scola and Jasikevicius?
    </div>

It seems like more and more players are becoming reluctant to leave their homes and come over to the NBA to play the sixth man role. Guys like Scola and Jasikevicius led the way, and now guys like Vasquez and Splitter are taking their lead. It's not a huge loss for the league, because neither of those guys were going to be that big of difference makers, but the league is still missing out on some decent role players. Sometimes I think these Euroleague teams pay significantly more attention to the wants and needs of their NBA prospects than they would their 30something year old veterans, almost like an act of bitterness.

4. Kid Chocolate

Kid Chocolate Suspended

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Voodoo Child @ Jun 8 2008, 07:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kobimel @ Jun 8 2008, 04:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Tau Ceramica has announced that All-Euroleague center Tiago Splitter has extended his contract for four more years, until the end of the 2011-12 season. Soon after that, Tau also made official that head coach Neven Spahija will not be with the team next season, as the club will not exercise its option to extend his contract. Splitter (211, 23) was under contract for one more season but has the chance to buy out his contract for an affordable amount of money this summer.</div>

</div>

Sometimes I think these Euroleague teams pay significantly more attention to the wants and needs of their NBA prospects than they would their 30something year old veterans, almost like an act of bitterness.
    </div>

Uh what? There's absolutely no evidence of that. I have no idea where you're getting such a crazy idea from.

5. pegs

pegs My future wife.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kid Chocolate @ Jun 8 2008, 06:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Anything that hurts the Spurs is music to my ears. I figured Splitter wouldn't be coming over, as it looked bleek the past couple months.</div>

My sentiments exactly.

I want to Spurs to suck as much as possible. Hate hate hate!