Teams that will surprise (in a good OR a bad way)

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Rastapopoulos, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Teams that I think will be surprisingly good:
    Utah (I think this will not be a surprise to many people, but I hear people writing them off because they lost Hayward and I don't think they'll slip much at all)
    Sacramento - basically Mike Malone is re-shaping them into the Grizz, and they've got an intriguing mix of good vets (Z-Bo, George Hill) and rookies (Fox, Bogdanovic) and young guys (their 3 young 7-footers).
    Lakers - I don't like saying this, and I don't think they'll be as good as their jock-riders think, but they've also got an intriguing mix, with BroLo and Bogut and Caldwell-Pope and Deng along with the young guys.

Surprisingly bad:
    Celtics - don't get me wrong, they'll still probably have homecourt in the playoffs, but I think it'll take them a while to sort things out, and I don't know that Kyrie is a Brad Stevens style player
    Houston - again, same as Celtics. They're going to be good, but maybe not as good as they were last year.

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  2. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Hope its my Blazers!

theprunetang likes this.
  3. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Mike Malone coaches the Kings again??

4. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Looked it up. Kings fired Malone 3 years ago. He coaches Nuggets now.

trailblazer18 likes this.
  5. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    To answer this thread, if we pick which team will be surprising, well then it's not a surprise.

6. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    My bad. SOMEBODY'S turning the Kings into the Grizz - and it's the ex-Grizz coach Joerger. D'Oh.

7. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    I also think the Wolves are again going to disappoint. KAT had this amazing defensive reputation in college, as did Dieng, and it just hasn't translated, even with Thibs as coach.

8. theprunetang

theprunetang Shaedon "Deadly Nightshade" Sharpe is HIM

Surprises:
    Miami Heat with home court advantage.
    Clippers will still find a way into the playoffs.
    Blazers will easily beat the Las Vegas betting line.

Disappointments:
    Celtics. I don't think they are as good as last year.
    Minnesota. Outside shooting will be their Achilles heel.

dviss1 likes this.
  9. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    So Trump winning wasn't a surprise because his crazy followers always believed it. That is a specious argument. If you like, "a prediction that goes against the popular trend" - is that better?

10. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    And your Lakers?

11. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    Also: about 3 or 4 teams playing Golden State will massively surprise by beating them.

12. Charcoal Filtered

Charcoal Filtered Writing Team

No surprise if Miami does well. After a historical bad start, they were really good last year.

13. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

FTFY

theprunetang likes this.
  14. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    There will be a surprise but it will surprise you because you didn't pick it. You'll see. Save this thread. We don't see it coming.

15. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    But now you've warned me, so I won't be surprised.

16. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Suprises:

WEST

New Orleans: With Rondo and Ian
    Clark in the backcourt and a healthy Holiday, along with a full year of Boogie and Davis, I think the Pelicans are going to be better then most think.

Utah Jazz: Even with the depature of Hayward and Diaw, the Jazz add compelling guard Donovan Mitchell as well as Ricky Rubio and veteran Thabo Sefolosha. They also retained Joe Ingles. And have Dante Exum, Rodney Jood, and Gobert to boot. They are going to play well enough to make the middle of the pack.

Blazers: The Blazers are underestimated as always. With a full year of Jusuf Nurkic, returning players, and an intriquing rookie in Caleb Swanigan look for them to be in the mix, even without a Carmelo trade.

Minnesota: The Timberwolves couldn't figure it out last year, but with the additions of Butler, Teague, Crawford, and Gibson they are going to be a team to look out for this season.

Clippers: LAC will find away to keep winning even without Chris Paul and JJ Reddick. They added Danilo Galinari, Milos Theodisic, Patrick Beverly, Lou Williams, and Willie Reed to go with Griffin and Jordan. Too Young Rivers will probably take a step up.

Sacramento: The Kings will do better than expected having added Veteran ( Randolph, Hill, Carter) and rookie (Fox, Jackson, Giles) pieces that will compliment each other well with what Sac already was sitting with. (Buddy Hield, Willie Cauley Stein, Skal)

EAST:

Miami:
    The Heat struggled to start the year, but got hot and finished the season strong. Look for them to start where they left off.

Philidelphia: The 76ers are going to win a lot more this year. If they can stay healthy look for them to make a run for a low-mid seed playoff spot.

Skunks - Bad Apples:

WEST:

Lakers:
    Maybe next season with Lebron and George join if that happens. This year though even with Ball, the Lakers on the outs. They will be at the bottom of the stack ahead of the lowly suns.

Rockets: Its going to take more than Paul and Harden to form a goid team. With Melo, should the trade miraculously happen ( Milwaukee does like to trade for over expensive white bigs for sone reason then trade them away because how could they not be good) anyway toi much ball hogging in Houston, even with Capela's help. The Rockets are deep as a shallow person.

EAST:

Boston:
    The Celtics lost 4 of 5 starters from last season along with the heart of their bench. Even with Irving, Hayward, and promising young blood, Boston is going to struggle to begin the season. Ultimately though in such a weak east they will make the playoffs, probably with home court.

Pacers: Yeah the loss of George is going to hurt. They weren't great last year with him, but without him, even with Sabonis and Oladipo, its going to be raining tears in Indiana.

Usual Suspects:

WEST:

Warriors, Spurs, and Thunder: All will be good, Warriors and Spurs as usual. Thunder because with George alongside Westbrook equals wins.

Grizzlies: Grizzlies are getting old and battered. They will take a step down this season but still be in the mix gor a low seed playoff spot.

Dallas, Denver, Phoenix: Bottom line Suns are going to be the worst team in the west. Dallas has a chance to surprise, but I see a rebuild and a lot of losses. Denver is a wildcard. They lost their best player in Gallinari, but signed Milsap. They haveca lot of youth and unknown. They could surprise, but realistically they will probably be towards the other end of the spectrum

EAST:

Cavaliers, Tornonto:
    Once again they will be top seeds in the East. Not hard to do though

Wizards, Hornets, Bulls: Middleground teams. The Wizards will probably round out home court in the playoffs with the Hornets and Bulls taking the 5th and 6th spots. The Wiz and Hornets will be at above .500 ball for the season. Chicago probably won't but with a weak east it doesn't matter.

Hawks, Magic, Nets, Pistons, Knicks:
    This goes to show how weak the east has gotten. Any of these teams could vie for a low play off spot. The Nets are the worst, and will be the worst team in the east. None of these teams will be .500 teams.

stampedehero likes this.
  17. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

KAT was an offensive machine in college, and solid defensively. Are you sure you're not thinking of Stein?

18. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Is Ben Simmons healthy?

19. theprunetang

theprunetang Shaedon "Deadly Nightshade" Sharpe is HIM

I think he is ready to go. Embiid on the other hand is still not cleared for basketball activities.

20. jonnyboy

jonnyboy Well-Known Member

I expect OKC to underwhelm. As long as Westbrook is padding stats that team is going nowhere. Yeah, PG, I know. Remember KD on that team? He's better than PG and they still fell off. Alot of speculators are expecting single players to tip the scale this year but I just don't see it happening. LeBron is the only player in the world right now that can carry a team on his back IMO.

Wizard Mentor likes this.