The 2013-2014 Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Portland Timbers' started by ehizzy3, Nov 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ehizzy3

ehizzy3 RIP mgb

Figured it would be worth it to have one thread with all the news/roster moves in the offseason.

What position would you guys like upgraded? I wouldn't mind a replacement for Jewsbury, as I feel Powell won't be ready to be a full time starter for a few years. Some fresh wingers would be nice as well, I think. Having Zizzo(no offense to him, I am a fan) as your first option off the bench is a little weak.

2. Wheels

Wheels Is That A Challenge?!?!1! Staff Member Global Moderator

my Guess on who could be on the chopping Block to go... Ryan Johnson, Gleeson, Zizzo, Horst, Piquionne, Rincon, Ring, Ryan Miller, Mckenzie, Richards, possibly one of Futty/Kah (though I love both dudes)

3. ehizzy3

ehizzy3 RIP mgb

I would be fine with loaning Gleeson but I hope they don't get rid of him. I don't want Ryan Johnson and Piquionne to go either. Maybe one of the two(but i like both). That would leave us pretty thin up top. Rincon on loan too.

4. Wheels

I like Piquionne too, but I'm not 100% sure he was viewed as more than a stop gap when they signed him, and that was before Urruti was brought in. Piquionne wouldnt be a bad 3rd striker though for sure. Ryan Johnson seemed to be in the dog house the last 1/4 of the season. With those 4 though of Urruti, Trencito, Piquionne and Johnson, thats 4 dudes who deserve to be in the 18, but duplicate what the others do. Thats why I was thinking Johnson, he is duplicated (though at a less consistent pace) by Trencito. Piquionne at least offers an aerial threat tha the others dont, so maybe he can stay as a 3rd cheap striker

5. ehizzy3

ehizzy3 RIP mgb

Yeah I guess I can see that. I'm a big fan of Valencia. Speaking of, rumors of him going on loan to Argentina. He retweeted a tweet about it, and timbers have tweeted that he isn't on loan yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. ehizzy3

ehizzy3 RIP mgb

So Valencia is out on loan with option to buy. They must have a replacement in mind. Good luck to him, although I don't know if the Timbers officially confirmed it yet?

Also, do you think this next season will be Nagbes last before heading to Europe? It may be. I'd like to see him go to Holland for a few years then Spain. What you think? He may stay 2 more year too.

7. Wheels

Nagbe has expressed high interest in getting his US citizenship, and thats part of the reason why Vancouver passed on him in that draft, because he wouldnt go there. If that is still a priority for him, I believe I read that the earliest he could get it is Fall of 2015. Not 100% sure, but that might help.

8. ehizzy3

ehizzy3 RIP mgb

so at least 1 more season. he married an american so he gets citizenship, but I don't know how the process works. He should be leaving to Europe after next year imo, for the sake of his career. Maybe he'll play with us for all of next year and then till the summer transfer period of the next year.

9. ehizzy3

ehizzy3 RIP mgb

Sal zizzo traded to skc for allocation money. Good luck Sal!

AJB traded to Chivas for Jorge Villafana and the 2 pick of re-entry draft then picked Steve Zaukani.

Merritt says all trades are done but 2 singings left.

Rodney Wallace tore his acl against RSL in playofds

10. porkchopexpress

porkchopexpress Well-Known Member

How does the re-entry draft work? I assume his contract was up w/ Seattle. Is there no free agency in MLS? I never know what hell is going on in MLS. Allocation money, DP slots, Int'l slots and now a re-entry draft. I need to start paying more attention I guess.

11. ehizzy3

ehizzy3 RIP mgb

it is confusing. I think some/most players have a team option every year, and if the team declines they go to the re-entry draft. or something like that. Seattle had no room so they declined his option. That's my understanding because we declined Horst option and he was eligible to be drafted (not sure if he was)

12. GriLtCheeZ

GriLtCheeZ "Well, I'm not lookin' for trouble."

Gleaming the Cubicle
    In the first round of the reentry draft, the drafting teams can choose a player if they are willing to pay the player at his present salary. If a player is selected in the second round the selecting team has a certain amount of time to negotiate a contract at a lower rate of pay. If no agreement is made the players' original team can then negotiate a new contract with the player at a lower rate. Or, if the player wasn't selected in the first or second round they can negotiate a new deal with their prior team. I think if a team still can't come to an agreement the player is screwed as far as playing in MLS goes, like what happened to Kevin Hartman a season or two ago.

I think my understanding is accurate still, MLS changes this stuff so often it's hard to keep up with.
    Hope you guys are doing well!

13. ehizzy3

ehizzy3 RIP mgb

Same to you Baracuda! Thanks for the help clearing it up.

FWIW- the timbers still haven't confirmed Valencia going on loan.

14. ehizzy3

ehizzy3 RIP mgb

Valencia loaned out...Piquionne officially resigned.

15. porkchopexpress

Not directly Timbers related, but apparently Michael Bradley is close to transferring to Toronto FC! Supposedly between him and Defoe, TFC will be paying $100M in transfer fees and salary. Not sure how much stock I put into that number.

This could be really good for the MLS in the long run, but it is shitty has hell for the USMNT right now. At least he ins't going to Seattle/Galaxy/NYRB.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...erge-signing-usmnt-midfielder-michael-bradley

16. ehizzy3

ehizzy3 RIP mgb

Our best midfielder coming back to MLS? All I can say is why

17. Wheels

Its good for notoriety I guess... but is Bradley going to help ink a big tv deal for MLS (Where the big money is to invest in clubs) I wouldnt think so, the major thing holding that back is Quality of Play.

There is a chicken and the egg deal going on. MLS says they cant afford higher salary without bigger TV deal. Networks probably wont give huge TV deals without better players which obviously would need higher Salaries.

I.E. Dempsey's salary alone is equal to about 8 Contracts the size of Diego Valeri. Can you imagine the quality of a team if they had 8 players that quality, to add to the rest of their squad? Quality of play would go up tremendously.

Its a critical time for the growth of the league, I hope putting so many eggs into baskets of about 2 players doesnt come back to bite team.

18. GriLtCheeZ

GriLtCheeZ "Well, I'm not lookin' for trouble."

Gleaming the Cubicle
    I'm thinking that after the World Cup we'll see some big names come to MLS. I'm thinking there will be a few stars playing in their last WC that might come to play here. Hopefully the Timbers snare one of them.

19. Cryptkeeper

Cryptkeeper Forum Bourgeoisie Staff Member Global Moderator

S2 Hurrdurrator
    Thread changed to sticky. I think it would be good to keep it updated for this section.

:)

20. porkchopexpress

Draft day. I had no clue, but it's on ESPNews right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.