The Day the Movies Died

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Da_O, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Da_O

Da_O Abe Vigoda lives!

http://www.gq.com/entertainment/movies-and-tv/201102/the-day-the-movies-died-mark-harris?_r=true

2. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Its more the peoples' fault for not going to see new movies IMO. Check this link for all the releases in 2010:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_in_film

Obviously there's plenty of sequels but its not like there were no other original movies released in 2010 except Inception. A lot of the drama type movies are based on books but that isn't a recent development and they don't have the following of a Girl With the Dragon Tattoo or Harry Potter series. Still a lot of the cheap shitty sequels on there probably earned as much or more then something like Book of Eli which was an original movie, not even a drama per se but had the kind of action and star power (Denzel and Mila Kunis) and advertising to get the attention of the masses. It earned a fraction of Sex and the City 2, Robin Hood, Percy Jackson and the Olympians, etc. Lets not even compare it to Iron Man 2, Shrek Forever After, etc. etc. Can't find the numbers for Black Swan (its still in theaters I think) but I would imagine its also a fraction of most of the aforementioned movies.

To me one of the most depressing things was after Inception the number of people who were furious that (SPOILER ALERTTTTTTTTTTTTT)

the top didn't fall. Obviously that ending does titillate and tease but the point of it was to force you to think. Which, I gather from their reactions, people don't want to do. They want a tidy ending and to go home and forget about it. But the movie really did make a lot of people reflect, look back, talk, discuss what is and isn't real, both in the movie and in real life. Had the top fallen or obviously kept spinning forever, the masses would have gone home and forgotten about it in 10 minutes. Comfortable and aesthetically pleased. But the fact that Nolan went with that ending really made people think like no other movie has in a while. Nolan almost forced people to look back and analyze, question, wonder, etc. Seems like the old practice of viewing art and interpreting what it may be trying to say is gone. And that sounds tremendously douchey of me but damn people are so pleased with these movies of zero depth and music that has no meaning (let alone artistic talent or skill). I'm 20 years old too its not like I'm an old fart complaining about the new generation. Its alright to get mindless entertainment too but isn't there any joy in art/entertainment that makes you think?

And IMO there really isn't for the most part in my generation. Maybe the mainstream has always been like that. I theorize that its cyclical. Just sucks to be young during a shallow period (lots of people who grew up in the 80s say similar things with the hair metal bands before grunge tore that scene down). I give props to Nolan for being able to please the masses and drop a little thematic knowledge. I've had a lot of good discussions about the themes from The Dark Knight but just as many people react with a "yeah....Heath Ledger was crazy in it though!". Most people just want to scream "shots! shots! shots shot shots!" or "getting some head I was getting some head. Getting some head I was getting some head" at the club. Which is fun. But its weird to see people bumping shit like that all day every day to me. I mean I don't think I even listen to anything deep or tremendously artistic but shits so shallow these days its pathetic.

[/End elitist rant.]

3. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Last note, how fuckin funny would it be if Nolan made Batman 3's ending similarly ambiguous as Inceptions? I'd fucking LOVE it if he ended the series like that. Studio execs would never let him though lol.