Merged: The Draft Thread For Stuff About The Draft Including Thoughts About The Draft

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by TBpup, Apr 25, 2017.

1. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I like him too, but what happened to him last year concerned me. How does a 27-year-old NBA player suddenly get significantly worse at every aspect of the game? Are we banking on him returning to the form he showed in 2015-16? If he performs like he did last year, we are undoubtedly better off even with a rookie filling his spot.

Eastoff and THE HCP like this.
  2. PtldPlatypus

Can't speak for anyone else, but my view on him--no defense, below average wingspan, and looked mechanical offensively. I question whether he'll be able to score effectively at the NBA level.

620am afternoon host Travis Demers loves him and wants the Blazers to get him at 15, but I'm not a fan.

3. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

We need 3 legitimate centers on the team, since they tend to get injured. Whether we take one at 15, 20, or 26.....we need one more IMO. Defensively Leonard is not cutting it so dump his 9 million and groom someone else. Ed is great to keep on the team. Good locker room guy and plays hard. But he is not enough.

PtldPlatypus likes this.
  4. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    He does have the top PER in the draft and was the top offensive rebounder. But he scores almost exclusively on postups, which is not what Blazers are looking for, I think. And a really bad defender.

5. chzbrgr

chzbrgr Well-Known Member

Well I guess that's why opinions are like assholes...

The only reason Collins wasnt a 15+PPG scorer is because Mark Few is a bad basketball coach. Collins was the best big on his roster and he came off the bench most of the season. Not only that, was made to be a traditional PF and bang down low. Which to his credit they were able to exploit to make it to the final four but that is not the sum of his game. He is a PURE shooter from NBA range and beyond and will be the perfect compliment to Nurk. Good timing with help side defense pretty agile for a guy his size moves well and can cover guards on the perimeter. Great attitude, in interviews surrounding the draft handled it all well and looks to be a gym rat team first guy like the rest of our squad. The more I watch the more impressed I become. He is the american Porzingas.

(I was an athlete at Gonzaga I got close with a couple of the basketball players while I was there they HATED few. Said he was a shit coach, from what Ive seen over the years I believe them.)

Darkwebs and Wizard Mentor like this.
  6. trailblazer18

trailblazer18 Well-Known Member

Give me Jeanne! Hope he is there at #26 or early second round.

7. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I can't help keep going back to this 6'10 225 freshman PF. He will fill the stat sheet playing next to Nurk.

"strongest attributes are his high basketball I.Q. and his motor ... He has also proven to be a clutch player who doesn't get phased by a big moment or crowd ... moves well without the ball allowing him to get high quality shots ... He’s also an excellent and willing passer for his size ... Rarely does he force the issue, and he is almost always under control ... He plays with consistent effort and regularly makes hustle plays, particularly on the offensive glass ... is a terrific rebounder, which has a lot to do with how relentlessly he pursues the ball on both ends of the court ... his size, versatility, feel for the game, and motor make him a prospect with a high floor ...

Weaknesses: The biggest area of concern at this point is he is his lack of strength ... He needs to add leg and core strength to better absorb contact and maintain balance ... The good news is that he is only 19 years old and that there’s plenty of time for his frame to fill out."

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/tj-leaf

8. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

9. Destroyer of Worlds

Destroyer of Worlds Active Member

The Pacers should give up on Paul George and trade him to the Lakers for the #2 pick. Why do the Lakers do it? They could risk losing George to the Celtics at the 1 spot and with the team they have returning, Id say they'd have a great shot at keeping him as a FA, but mainly as trade bait and it's an easy cop out for the Lakers if they have any worries about Lavar or Lonzo in LA.

10. UKRAINEFAN

un-retired
  11. UKRAINEFAN

un-retired
  12. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

I was scanning several of the mock drafts for their post lottery updates. Several have us taking Leaf at 20, and one or two even have us taking him at 15 (which seems like a big reach to me).

BNM

13. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Wow, Oden career cut short by injuries and Durant good. Thanks for sharing that news. I wouldn't have known otherwise.

BNM

bodyman5000 and 1 and BonesJones like this.
  14. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

15 is a big reach, he should still be there at 20. I like him too from the mixtapes. I think at 15 we will get a proper big talent like Anunoby, Z. Collins or Patton. The later two picks will be more speculative so Leaf fits the bill.

OG is dropping to 19 in some mocks. That's very close to our second pick. If Collins dropped to 15 and OG dropped to 20, I would probably to mental at this point. Then top it with Leaf, Patton (almost impossible but some mocks have him in 21-30 range) or Hartenstein and you got yourself perfect draft.

I am all on OG Anunoby bandwagon now. Boy looks athletic, looks like he can develop his shot to a respectable level and will be a very good defender.

When our three 2017 draft acquisitions are knocking it down in 2020 NBA Finals I am going to quote this post.

TBpup and BonesJones like this.
  15. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

Seen some mocks with Milwaukee taking Diallo. Surely if they reach for him at 17, and he turns out to be properly good, they should be banned from future drafts? I mean, they got Giannis, Brogdon and Maker already with not so high picks (in Brogdon's case it was deep into poor draft!).

16. Blazer4ever

Blazer4ever Finding a Way BANNED

Agricolture
    The player I want is Dennis Smith fron NC State, currently ranked #8 to the Knicks according to draftexpress.

17. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

not high on Hartenstein, but would prefer workouts to get feedback how these guys are doing

18. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

Good player. We have no need for him and no way to get him as he doesn't fall to 15 and is not worth trading up for because of his position. Players worth trading up for are Isaac and Markkanen IMO (not even sure about the latter though) because they fit in instantly.

BonesJones likes this.
  19. PtldPlatypus

Don't forget Middleton.

Think about that--a Brogdon/Diallo/Middleton/Giannis/Maker starting 5 could be scary good.

20. Blazer4ever

Blazer4ever Finding a Way BANNED

Agricolture
    I disagree. He reminds me very much of Russell Westbrook, you don't discount a player like this to pick according to need.
    Also I think it is a need. We need the 3rd combo guard to create the monster Dame/CJ/Smith backcourt.
    Can you imagine if we had a 3rd player on their level and could play with 2 such players not just for 20-24 MPG but for the entire game?!