Merged: The Draft Thread For Stuff About The Draft Including Thoughts About The Draft

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by TBpup, Apr 25, 2017.

1. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

Lol. Get the popcorn out....

Anyways, I think Frank Jackson is criminally underrated. Didn't get to handle the ball much this year with Allen, Kennard and Tatum on that Duke team and sure, his lead guard skills skills / situational awareness needs work, but he has electric burst off the dribble and although he doesn't have much side to side shake to his game, change of speed / deception is really all you need at that point. People also worry about the fact he's a two foot leaper but we've seen guards that lack pop off one still become extremely effective finishers. He'll just need to continue to develop his speed finishes and floater game, much like we've seen with our guy Dame (also a two foot leaper).

Add that to his ability to already shoot off the dribble w/ range and you have the makings of a really dynamic lead scoring guard in the mold of....gasp....Damian Lillard.

It's obviously not likely he reaches that ceiling but he has the tools/skills/playstyle required to have the opportunity to be that type of player.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  2. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

So what you're saying is that if a particular poster (not naming names) thinks we need a third combo guard to form a three-guard rotation with Dame and CJ, that poster should be advocating the Blazers trade down to obtain additional assets and draft Jackson, rather than trade up to draft Smith?

Not a terrible plan.

3. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Interesting...same school as Vonleh, do they play the same position? OG is a little shorter with a slightly shorter reach. Can he play SF?

Edit: Ok I just watched his video. He looks pretty damn good. Looks to be able to be the type of pF who can guard the perimeter and battle down low just enough to be effective. Poor mans Draymond Green?

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/OG-Anunoby-93246/
    http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Noah-Vonleh-6471/

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  4. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

I honestly wouldn't be against that at all. But ultimately I think people we'll see his talent shine in workouts and he'll go inside the top 20. And at that point, I'd value better fits closely enough to look elsewhere.

5. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

bodyman5000 and 1 likes this.
  6. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

I see him going to MIL at 18. They need a PG and his skillset fits them well

7. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

After watching his video and looking at his measurables....he reminds me of Draymond Green. With a longer standing reach and maybe better hops.
    I think he is a combo forward for sure. Especially with all the small ball being played

8. BonesJones

I think her have a great chance of reaching his ceiling here. I rally want a young 3rd guard for Lillard and CJ to mentor.

I don't want to consolidate a ton of assets for one though. Jackson, Dozier, or Sumner will do.

9. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    I thought Ed's diminished performance was related to his injury, which ultimately shut him down later in the season? No?

lawai'a, Wizard Mentor and BonesJones like this.
  10. BonesJones

No you don't. Not even close. It's more far fetched than your idea of bringing back Greg Oden last year.

What's the highest level you've played at?
    How much basketball do you watch?
    Have you ever coached?
    Have you ever worked out with an NBA trainer?
    How is it you "understand" basketball better than everybody, when you're probably not qualified enough to be a high school assistant coach?

That's the type of crap I have a problem with. You coming on the board and insulting everyone by saying you "understand" and "know more basketball" than anyone on here then coming up with ideas such as "Bring back Greg Oden". Other people probably don't care, but it annoys me. You say we should trade up for a prospect that you don't know anything about. You didn't know he injured his ACL his senior year. You've likely never watched any full game action of his. Hell, you don't even watch Blazer games, and you admitted it! And then you try to tell everyone else what "positions" each player is, but it's not even based off a decent sample size of observation, cuz you don't watch games!

You said you understand and know more basketball than everyone here, and then consistently prove those statements wrong. That's on you.

Obviously he doesn't have an ACL injury when he's playing...
    Lmao. Crap like that from a dude that suggests we bring back Greg Oden, sign Warren Gillis, doesn't watch games but thinks he knows more than everyone is why you get called out.

11. BonesJones

As well as the added weight. He's biggest strength was his quickness and energy. The added weight diminished that, and the weight isn't a strength for a player that plays the way he does.

12. Blazer4ever

Blazer4ever Finding a Way BANNED

Agricolture
    Yawn.
    You watched Warren Gillis?
    You didn't even watch the highlights of Dennis Smith I posted.
    I know basketball better than most people here and "most" is when I don't even watch the games. The Blazers went downhill when I stopped watching.
    You want us to select 3 scrubs and Dennis Smith to become an All Star for me to prove I know more basketball than you? It would be unfortunate but whatever.
    What's annoying to you isn't my problem, if you're jealous of me being a badketball genius this is once again your problem, not mine.
    Stop replying to my posts if they're annoying you. Put me on ignore but don't waste my time. I can share with you that I too am frustrated by having to explain myself and convince people who are far inferior to me in terms of basketball knowledge.
    I'm frustrated that TRob isn't a Blazer, frustrated that this team doesn't win without me, frustrated that we would probably waste our picks on 3 scrubs instead of using them to draft an All Star.
    But my frustrations are my own problem, I don't blame them on you or anyone else in particular.
    If you wish to continue this discussion be my guest, but since I'm going to sleep you'd have to wait a few hours to my response, so you can just use your disrespect for my opinions to put me on ignore

13. Blazer4ever

Blazer4ever Finding a Way BANNED

Agricolture
    And to answer your question about my basketball experience, I'm a great playground player but an even better soccer player. The few people in the world better than me in Soccer are millionaires

14. BonesJones

Are you insane? I've watched him in full games. Have you? No. You're the type of person to decide a HS player will be good in the NBA based off of his "BallisLife" mixtape.

Lmao. You one of the least knowledgeable posters on this board. Didn't want to say it but because you keep acting like you're far and away better than everyone here.

Based on previous posts, I'm leaning towards you being serious with this crap. If you are, then your out of your god damn mind.

15. BonesJones

Lmao. You have no organized basketball experience but you think you understand basketball better than everyone here. Meanwhile there's people here that have played organized ball for years, probably a few that have played college ball (I have). But you're telling all these people that you understand basketball better than them, when you're basketball experience is "playground basketball", you judge prospects based off highlight tapes, and make judgements based off games that you don't watch?

Lmao. You're a very funny dude. Notice the absence of green font. This shit is comical.

16. BonesJones

Draft Predictions:
    1.) Boston takes Fultz
    2.) Lakers trade 2nd pick, 2020 1st, Julius Randle, and Luol Deng to Chicago for Jimmy Butler
    Chicago takes Josh Jackson
    3.) Philadelphia trades 3 and 50 to ORL for 6, 25, and 33. PHI wants Monk or Smith
    Orlando takes Jayson Tatum
    4.) Pheonix takes De'Aaron Fox (another Kentucky guard)
    5.) Sacremento takes Lonzo Ball (LOL).

TBpup and PDXFonz like this.
  17. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

I would say those are "bold" predictions.

I wouldn't expect two of the top 3 picks to be traded. I'm not sure any of them will be traded. If one of the top 3 are traded I think the Lakers make the most sense. Philly is full of young players with the next step being making the playoffs. A fresh out of college potential star would fit their trajectory.

BonesJones likes this.
  18. BonesJones

I think it makes sense for Philadelphia to trade down, because they don't need another SF and Fox doesn't provide the shooting they need.

I think the Lakers will go after Butler, while trying to shed Deng or Mozgovs contract. That will still allow them to pursue a star like Griffin this summer, and then look torwards George next summer.

19. BonesJones

Justin Jackson says he wants to looks forward to growing a family with his soon-to-be wife in the place he gets drafted, and he wants to change the world and make it a better place.

Portland is perfect for you Justin.

Pridan, TBpup and PtldPlatypus like this.
  20. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    Knowing that LaVar is going to get his wish - Lakers - makes me want to club baby seals ...with golden retriever puppies.