Merged: The Draft Thread For Stuff About The Draft Including Thoughts About The Draft

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by TBpup, Apr 25, 2017.

1. damianlillard

damianlillard Well-Known Member

even though he's not in this draft, the blazers should take borisa simanic in next year draft. that kid has a sweet shooting form, good post moves, and has no fear while playing good defense

2. rotary111

rotary111 Well-Known Member

Real Estate.
    If Ball goes anywhere but the Fakers i'm gonna die laughing. The farther he drops the better.

3. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

Ugh. Hopefully Jordan falls in love with him and takes him at #11. Taller Matt Barnes with less bounce but more shooting versatility is his top end outcome imo.

tester551 and PDXFonz like this.
  4. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

I kinda want him to land there though, he could set them back.

rotary111 likes this.
  5. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Lol. A 1st round prospect you don't like? Shocker.

6. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

I like Justin Jackson, just not at #15. I've made numerous posts making the same point.

Not enough wings and too many forgettable bigs have pushed him up media draft boards. I think most teams understand that he doesn't return great value until the mid 20s, but too many teams are looking for playable wings right now for him to fall into that range most likely.

What do you think his upside is?

7. BonesJones

A high volume 40% 3pt shooter with an efficient in between game (his floater is good). I also think he'll offer solid defense with above average ball handling and passing for the SF position..

8. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

I guess I'd just like to see a bigger splash be made. Finding a rotation wing is fine at #15, better than expected even, but I think his shaky tools and just so so production doesn't make that a super safe bet to me.

BonesJones likes this.
  9. BonesJones

So so production?

He was ACC POY.

If Crabbe was bigger and could dribble, pass, defend, and drive better, he'd be extremely valuable. That's Justin Jackson.

10. Trackjack

Trackjack Well-Known Member

We have to look for players that fits the offense system that also can play D. To me Jackson fills that need. He is a 3 that can make the 3 point shot something that our 3's have problems with right now. Plus he can shoot off the dribble that what we need right now. One thing he needs to do is to get stronger. He has got better every year in college due to he work at his game. If he there at 15 I would draft him. Plus Olshey has the habit to draft a player with 3 or 4 years in playing college than some younger player. Remember when he draft young he got ML that hasn't gone to well. Not saying he wont but his success been with older college players. Looks who he his bring in Thorwell 4 years Dillion 3 years Rabb 2 years Ferguson 1 year overseas Pro.

PDXFonz, HailBlazers and 1eyejack like this.
  11. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

Crabbe was the Pac 12 POY his Junior year as well with a very similar shot distribution + %'s + FTA rate profile.

http://hoop-math.com/NorthCarolina2017.php
    http://hoop-math.com/California2013.php

Crabbe actually had better physical tools for his position from a height/wingspan perspective too (unless you view Jackson as a 2 more than a 3) and was a more fluid athlete, especially moving side to side. Jackson is much stiffer in comparison, but has the decent edge in open court speed and one-foot jumping.

Strength is negligible. Both are weak one position defenders who offer little versatility although I think that could be a bigger issue for Jackson if his lack of lateral quicks forces him into primarily guarding the SF position. There's a lot more bulk around the league at that position. Probably doesn't matter much though since I don't think Jackson will ever be a guy tasked with guarding big and skilled wing scorers.

I also think you are overstating the handling/passing/driving edge Jackson has. I do think he plays with a little more feel but neither got to the rim or drew fouls much at all so I don't think the gap is considerable.

Do I think he can be a better player than AC?...sure. I think I trust Jackson's pedigree+intangibles+competitiveness a bit more, but even if he is better, it's hard for me to envision it being by that much.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    tester551, PDXFonz and HailBlazers like this.
  12. Trackjack

Trackjack Well-Known Member

Justin Jackson has great mid game and better handles than Crabbe when he came out. Matter fact he has better handles and mid game then Crabbe now. He shot 51 percent inside the 3 point last year and 37 percent from the 3.

TBpup likes this.
  13. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I see a lot of Rip Hamilton in Justin Jackson. But JJ is bigger and could end up being better.

14. AFully22

AFully22 Well-Known Member

I like Justin Jackson. Great size at the 3 and has a polished shot both outside and in the midrange. Need to add some strength to his frame and improve his playmaking ability but as a junior I think he's a lot closer to being able to contribute right away than others available around 15. Crabbe does have a longer reach but Jackson has better bounce, Crabbe can barely dunk...

I don't see the lack of lateral quickness and see a higher ceiling than a poor mans Matt Barnes. Also seems to have good character. I also really like that he would make trading Crabbe for cap space a lot easier. We could do a lot worse.

TBpup likes this.
  15. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

Justin Jackson arguably has better upside than any small forwards we currently have, I'd be all for that if Anonuby is not available. If we can take OG, given his defence and athleticism, go for him and then maybe also take Jackson if he is still there at 20, and trade Harkless for a pick in 21-30 range to acquire two bigs.

Jackson is probably more ready to contribute now than OG is. He is already 22 and has experience, would not be surprised if he has similar impact in his first season as Brogdon has had in Milwaukee (that's optimistic but possible).

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    AFully22 likes this.
  16. Blazer4ever

Blazer4ever Finding a Way BANNED

Agricolture
    You bring up experience in organized basketball like being obviously much more knowledgable, smarter and having better logic than your (for example) lets-draft-3-scrubs campaign isn't enough.

And I tried to get a diploma to become a basketball coach a while ago. A basketball tutor is maybe the more precise definition because to become a coach you need another course after that.
    You know what happened? In one of the classes we were going to hit the floor and start practicing but there was this teacher/coach of us that went on and on trying to show us his superior basketball experience and I was feeling sick after watching a playoff game (the Bulls against someone) that night. When we *finally* went on the court to start dribbling he *again* called us up to continue talking. I took my basketball and kicked it to the ceiling of the gym. Raised one of these woods that make the ceiling.
    Got kicked out of this course for doing that.
    So no, no organized basketball experience for me

17. BonesJones

Cool story bro.

Blazer4ever likes this.
  18. Pridan

Pridan Active Member

WTH? Can we go back to discussing the draft and stop with the pissing contest?

Eastoff, Aly and SwissBlazer like this.
  19. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    But the pissing contest is so funny to read.

20. trailblazer18

trailblazer18 Well-Known Member

This is fantastic troll level story telling! Very entertaining!