Merged: The Draft Thread For Stuff About The Draft Including Thoughts About The Draft

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by TBpup, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

between the combine and then workouts there is a lot of time and there will likely be significant movement in the 10-26 draft order especially

2. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Certainly hope so.

3. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Yikes. Trade the pick then. Anigbogu is nothing special.

If Giles knees check out then maybe him?

4. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    Anunoby was around 8-10 before he went down with an injury. If he checks out, I expect he will go around 10-12. Jarrett is one of those players who should get attention with his pre-Draft measurements but his 'motor' is a bit suspect to me. I think he goes just before Portland picks. As happens every year, someone parlays a good run in the NCAA tournament into moving up a few spots and this year I think that is Jackson. He's already jumped quite a bit from where he was just a couple of months ago to right around where Portland selects. He will be close.

Collins
    is one I can't wrap my head around. He has done so well in college but I'm wondering if a 2" shorter wing-span than height works at the NBA level. I love his work ethic but when I watch him, he gets so many of his shots off by just an inch or two and that won't happen in the NBA against better competition. He reminds me a bit of Adam Morrison who would score at will in college but was doing so by barely creating space and I thought had little chance in the NBA. I get a similar feeling about Collins although he plays a different style and position. I also don't think he measure out very tall at pre-Draft though he is listed at 6'10".

5. PtldPlatypus

Just to be clear, I'm talking about Zach from Gonzaga, not John from Wake Forrest. I don't like John Collins at all.

BonesJones likes this.
  6. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Okay, that helps. Wasn't sure so picked the one I think will be available when Portland selects. I think Zach will be gone.

7. PtldPlatypus

That's why I mentioned those guys as being picked between 10-14, because I don't think they will be available at our pick either.

8. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    And that's assuming the reporters reporting it know the difference. ;)

BonesJones likes this.
  9. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

No one has really talked about Leaf, who could play next to Nurk nicely and he may be available around 20-26.

Boise Blazer likes this.
  10. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    Those measurements posted on his DX profile were taken when he was 15 years old.

11. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    Cliff Alexander was a similar physical freak: 6'9" with a 9'2" reach.

12. BonesJones

Undersized, unathletic, not a good defender. We need a two-way PF. Hopefully Vonleh can be that guy be Leaf definitely won't.

dviss1 likes this.
  13. BonesJones

I wouldn't mind trading 15 to Atlanta for 19 and 31. Maybe you could trade 31 to a team like Brooklyn to shed Leonard. If not, it still gives you a 3rd pick if you trade 26 instead. 19 would be a good spot to pick Giles and 20 would be a good spot to look at someone like Anigbogu or Patton.

TBpup likes this.
  14. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

Idk, I think Leaf has a lot of similarities to Saric, he's young and needs to grow into his body though.

15. AFully22

AFully22 Well-Known Member

I like that Justin Jackson played 3 years college ball. Has a game similar to Crabbe but is 2 inches taller and is already better at creating his own shot. Has some defensive potential as well. I'm hoping he slips to 15.

TBpup and BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 like this.
  16. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

This is the guy I want if he's there at 15, but I doubt he will be.

PtldPlatypus and TBpup like this.
  17. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

Justin Jackson is definitely a safe pick and I think his biggest appeal would be opening up a Crabbe trade. I don't think he's ever a starter, but he's one of the only non-top 10-11 prospects that I feel fairly confident about being able to stick as a rotation player while also having a chance to return some value early on during his rookie deal.

Great pedigree, seems like a smart kid from both interviews and on-court play--shows some passing skill and has always been a low to% guy--and just have a positive gut feeling about him. Still think he has work to do as a shooter and still not sure he totally understands his limitations as a scorer, but I like the progress he made this year and I think he'll at least be able to hit open spot 3's at a decent clip pretty early on, attack a closeout and be a ball mover. Might be able to run some secondary pnr stuff with him as well but it wouldn't be a big part of his offense.

But from a value perspective, he's still pretty low on the board for me and would rather package #15 w/ another pick to trade up or trade down. I don't like many of the prospects past the top 10-11 but there are 5-6 guys that I think have a chance to return similar value at pick 25-45 as positive rotation players (Johnathan Motley, Caleb Swanigan, PJ Dozier in particular)

I've already talked about Dozier at length, but Swanigan (if he continues to improve his body and commit to the defensive end) could be a better Patrick Patterson and for Motley, a more offensively inclined Taj Gibson.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    BonesJones likes this.
  18. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Through about 13-14 depending on who falls where is intriguing. Then I'm not as high on about 14-19 (projections) but like some possibilities at 20-35. Odd, I know and that is just looking at what a summary of Mock Drafts are projecting but in some ways I like what might be available with the last 2 picks more than the first one unless someone of intrigue falls.

19. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    Uh, this leads me to believe you haven't watched him. He has an array of post moves and is great at finishing at the rim. He has a silky smooth jump shot out to range. His arms are plenty long, in a couple weeks will get some true measurements to go on.

This guy is going to be special.

20. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

People, people! I believe he is talking about the "other" Collins. But some of that is on him. Full names would be helpful from here on out.