The Draft Day Thread

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Custodianrules2, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

I'm pretty indecisive about this year's draft. I suppose if we get any one of these guys I'd be somewhat happy. I'd prefer any player we can get in the top 10 that falls, but if it doesn't happen, I'll settle for drafting for need or players less likely to share POB's fate.

at #14:
    1.) Kosta Kofous (C/PF) - Very skilled for his size and position. Good potential to be an inside/outside player. Will he be an effective rebounder and inside finisher at some point? We already got a guy named Kosta.
    2.) Donte Green (SF/PF) - Very bad shot selection and he's a Lamar Odom/Antwan Jamison tweener stuck between forward positions. Very huge upside. He could possess tremendous offensive capabilities as a guy that could shoot 3's, block shots, and post up. Enough ballhandling skills and defensive ability on the perimeter? He's already pretty skilled offensively when he's not bombing away. Short wingspan compared to most 6'10 small forwards that are stars in this league.
    3.) Roy Hibert ? - Very huge, great work ethic, kind of slow and maybe prone to the injuries that people that big usually get after playing 82 games a season. Has a low post game.
    4.) Maresse Speights - Inside Out type of PF/C who can rebound. Bad defense.

If trading down:
    Chris Douglas Roberts (if guard) (SG/PG) - A very effective college SG who could easily fit in a run n' gun lineup. Could he be a Rip Hamilton clone with greater ballhandling skills, less free throw effectiveness? Many think he'll be a role player and nothing more.
    Jason Thompson (if power forward) (PF/C) - Looks to be an all-around inside/outside player with potential (more of a finesse guy) He's a late bloomer and a mid-major guy so Nelly might not be so easy on him if he's missing some things but he's got some Webber like skills... He's got scoring skill + rebounding + passing ability + ballhandling ability. Keep an eye out on this guy). He could be the impact big man that many teams might miss out on because he didn't go to a top collegiate basketball program or play in Europe. Plus, he's senior class.
    JaVale McGee (if center) (PF/C) (can shoot, very coordinated and athletic as hell, great upside, really raw. Think Brandan Wright potential but without the big man skillset)

I really have no idea who we should pick because we have to consider Nelly will be coaching again, but we don't want to add more of what we already have. Adding to a one-trick pony won't help us get further to the playoffs. What we need is a key difference maker in defense, rebounding, and inside scoring. If it ain't there, then we need a guy who can take over games and score from everywhere including post-ups and doing damage at the foul line. If that ain't there, then we need a good role player that can be a starter on a bad team or a key bench guy on a good team.

The art of free throw shooting is really lost on all these guys that I like. This really is a crappy draft because nobody seems to be a finished product with upside. But I believe one of these guys could be the underrated pick...

I think it's CDR or Jason Thompson. I just got the funny feeling that the best guys will be at the bottom while the lotto picks could end up with a huge number of busts. Plus, I'm not even sure if Kevin Love or Brook Lopez will find the nba to be a rude awakening when the speed/quickness is 10x what they thought it'd be.

My gut feeling makes me think that if we're trying to solve for need we go for Jason Thompson at a lower pick, although I really like Kosta Koufus because he's bigger, younger and already has some good skills in his box of tools. If there's a 7'1 guy that could be a post threat, is solid defensively, and can bomb from 20 feet, you can't pass that up. It's a hard pick since Thompson seem to have more quickness and better ballhandling/passing skill which could be a better fit for Nellie who wanted somebody like Chris Webber back. Thompson is 6'11 and 250 pounds and could play center. You gotta love those stats too. As a senior year player he should be readier than most and could come in right away to help us rebound and circulate the ball while adding to the scoring and shotblocking.

2. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    I think you guys know I want Brandon Rush. Or else trade the #14 pick and AL and move up in order to get OJ Mayo or Kevin Love. Or trade for Elton Brand.

3. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

We've also got a general discussion thread in the Draft forum, so you guys can head out there if you're interesting in reading more opinions (link). It should be a good night.

Now that the Raps have moved out of 17, I think the Warriors should go with Brandon Rush. He's proven at the college level, has a pretty well-rounded skillset, and he's been universally impressive during the workout stages. I think he'd fit in well with this team's style.

4. Custodianrules2

I don't want Brandon Rush at #14, I wouldn't mind him, though. He's solid. 13ppg scorer with his minutes is kind of weak, though. It's telling me he's not really a go-to player, he's not having the ball in his hands a lot. If we're going for a swingman I'd want a player who can score in the 16-17's ranges.

5. Legacy

Legacy Beast

I want Brandon Rush!!

6. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

No surprise so far: Rose, Beasley and Mayo...

7. Custodianrules2

Westbrook at #4, anybody agree with that? I thought Love would have been better if they wanted a PF, or if they wanted to continue with combo guard take Jerryd Bayless.

8. Kwan1031

Talk about full of surprises after 3. Westbrook at 4? 6th? Or, any reason to draft Alexander after getting Jefferson? Not complaining though. Hope somebody good will slip to 14th...

9. MosDefinitely

MosDefinitely Member

WOW the Nets got a steal with Brook Lopez at #10, they are starting to build a strong core of young players with Harris, Lopez, Yi and whoever they draft at #21 today

10. Custodianrules2

Yeah, I'm totally surprised. Guys are getting steals. Milwaukee getting Alexander was surprising to me. The Nets picked it right. They had to pass up another guard because they already got two good ones. Why take Bayless when the need is a center that can score. So now with that lineup they can use Devin Harris, VC, Bobby Simmons, Kristic, and then Brook Lopez.

OH and Sac gets Jason Thompson. Damn I knew some team was going to grab that guy possibly before we do. Let's see who Portland gets. I hope they're getting a small forward.

I bet #14 we get a huge surprise maybe we trade for thompson. Actually, I bet we're getting Kosta Koufous or Speights. I don't know about Randolph.

11. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

Looking a lot like Koufos. I wasn't looking forward to the W's drafting him, fingers crossed he's not a stiff. He looks like one, but in his case, maybe not accurate, he can move. Oh well, whoever it is will peobably sit the bench all year under Nelson anyway.

12. Kwan1031

Please no Koufous. Randolph anybody?

13. Custodianrules2

Ah shit we picked Randolph.

14. jason bourne

Law enforcement
    oh noes. rush is gone. trade the pick mully!!!

15. jason bourne

Law enforcement
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Custodianrules2 @ Jun 26 2008, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Ah shit we picked Randolph.</div>

at least we got a guy for nellie to pick on [​IMG].

16. Doctor Kajita

Doctor Kajita Active Member

Finance
    Wow, we have a player that's skinnier than Wright! LOL

17. Ryan

Ryan BBW Member

Has anyone really seen him play. They said he has some skills, can he become a 3. He looks like he could be similar to Prince. Or is he going to be a 4 or 5. if that's the case it'll be 3 or 4 years before he's ready to play.

Wasted pick, I hope we make a trade

18. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Am I the only one who's happy here? Randolph is great value at 14. Hes a huge project, sure, but this draft fuggin BLOWS. We got a top talent here and as far as potential goes Randolph is probably top 5. He averaged 15.6/8.5/2.3 bpg as a 18 year old freshman. Very athletic and long. People compare him to Wright but IMO hes a SF. His handle is already pretty good for a guy his size, jumpshot needs work though his mid-range J is ok right now. He can rebound and block shots. Hes a big time project but I'm glad we got him.

eSPN profile:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=36181

19. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ryan @ Jun 26 2008, 07:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Has anyone really seen him play. They said he has some skills, can he become a 3. He looks like he could be similar to Prince. Or is he going to be a 4 or 5. if that's the case it'll be 3 or 4 years before he's ready to play.

Wasted pick, I hope we make a trade</div>
    Yeah I've seen him play and hes more of a 3 IMO. Tayshaun Prince is a good comparison, could be like a Tayshaun, Gerald Wallace, etc.

20. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

In ESPN's profile for Randolph:

"Similarities: Brandan Wright"

LOL

They may have the lankiest front court in the NBA with Biedrins, Wright, and Randolph.