The End of the War Machine Saga: 36-years-to-life sentence for assault of Christie Mack

Discussion in 'MMA - Mixed Martial Arts' started by speeds, Jun 5, 2017.

1. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

http://mmajunkie.com/2017/06/war-machine-sentence-christy-mack-assault

Former UFC and Bellator MMA fighter War Machine has been sentenced to 36 years to life in prison with the possibility of parole after serving 36 years for the brutal beating of his ex-girlfriend, Christy Mack, and her boyfriend, Corey Thomas.

Machine, born Jon Koppenhaver, will be 71 years old when he becomes eligible for parole.

In March, Machine was found guilty on 29 of 34 charges after two days of jury deliberation. The charges included sexual assault, kidnapping and coercion, though the jury deadlocked on the most serious charges of attempted murder.

Clark County District Judge Elissa Cadish denied last-minute motions filed by Machine’s defense attorneys for a new trial, claiming there was evidence the fighter was unconscious during the beating and thus not fully aware of his actions.

While Cadish expressed sympathy for the traumatic upbringing described by Machine and his attorneys during a sentencing hearing, she indicated that a strong punishment was necessary.

“I don’t think you’re a monster – I think you’re a human being,” she said. “I don’t discount those, but there also have to be consequences for what happened, and I have to look out for the well being of the community as I consider the appropriate sentence. I do think a substantial amount of time is warranted, not only for punishment’s sake, but avoiding danger to the community.”

[​IMG]

2. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

Bet you he kills himself in prison.

3. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

His fight with Jared Rollins was one of my all time favourites. Hard to believe it was ten years ago. J-Rock never fought again, for whatever reason.