The Future of Tracy McGrady

Discussion in 'Orlando Magic' started by Ice, Apr 15, 2004.

1. Ice

Ice JBB Member

Magic left wondering if McGrady will stay or go

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Will he stay or will he go?

"I don't know," he said.

That's the only answer you're going to get, and certainly the only one that could have been expected Wednesday night. What was not expected was why McGrady was answering questions instead of watching the season finale.</div>
    Full Story

2. TimFlem

TimFlem JBB JustBBall Member

I think he'll stay for another season then leave.

3. TracyMcWizzle

TracyMcWizzle JBB JustBBall Member

he stays for next season sure. and i hope for the future. but stay in orlando, if they have a much better season... i wanna see t-mac winning. i wanna see magic winning... so build a perfect team around tracy this summer and then he stays hopefully.

4. YaoMing03-04

YaoMing03-04 JBB Banned Member

T-Mac to dictate the trade

Tracy McGrady will be able to dictate where he goes this season and its going to a good good team, cuz no bad team wants to give up a lot for him and then not be able to resign him. Tracy would most likely go to Indiana because they are very deep. I really think we could see Tracy and Ron Artest swap teams, obviously the Pacers would have to fill the cap diffrence and give some draft picks to get T-Mac

5. Mez

Mez JBB JustBBall Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nba&id=1782360

^ just for all those people who always want sources for everything..

Indiana would actually sound like a legit chance to me, but I just can't imagine a superstar like T-Mac in a small market like Indiana... eventhough Orlando isn't much bigger as a market. I think he will be staying in the end, and hopefully he'll have some more help around him next season.

6. Premium

Premium JBB I'm kind of a big deal

t-mac doesnt seem like a good fit for indiana. he's not exactly what they need. although there is no question that he could help the team, i just think that he'd shake up the chemistry with his attitude and couldnt handle being the 3rd or 4th guy on the team. not necessarily the 3rd option, but its certainly jermaine, reggie and ron's team. indiana should be trying to get someone like dampier to solidify their front court, not make a trade for a player like t-mac

i could see t-mac going to the lakers in a sign and trade with kobe, considering t-mac's relationship with shaq. or maybe even san antonio, the idea of pairing him up with duncan would have people down there drooling.

7. flight42

flight42 JBB JustBBall Member

yeah... only... i cannot see Tmac playing in a west team... i dont know.. his playing style doesnt fit in a good tittle contender team

8. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    Mcgrady would not fit in Indiana, where Ron Artest has molded himself into a good scorer and excellent defender. T-Mac would not fit under Rick Carlisle's style of defense. I agree with flight42 in the sense that he is more suited to playing an Eastern Conference style. How's this for a trade: Jalen Rose and Donyell Marshall to Orlando, and McGrady to Toronto. The Raptors' GM will obviously be looking to shake things up, and McGrady has been quoted as saying wanting to come back to Toronto. And besides, the thought of Vince and T-Mac back together is enticing....

9. hagrid

hagrid JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">^ just for all those people who always want sources for everything..</div>

I'd be one of them, so thank you. [​IMG]

This is a slight tangent on the subject, but I really don't like the recent precidents that big name Players are putting forth by "settling thier own trade terms".

IMO, you can respectfully request that you go somewhere, but if it ain't happening, then it simply isn't happening. Be a professional and deal with it. Filing lawsuits, blaming paperwork mistakes, etc. is ludicrous and lacks personal responsibility, IMO.

10. DontOPToutTMAC

DontOPToutTMAC JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trip:</div><div class="quote_post">Mcgrady would not fit in Indiana, where Ron Artest has molded himself into a good scorer and excellent defender. T-Mac would not fit under Rick Carlisle's style of defense. I agree with flight42 in the sense that he is more suited to playing an Eastern Conference style. How's this for a trade: Jalen Rose and Donyell Marshall to Orlando, and McGrady to Toronto. The Raptors' GM will obviously be looking to shake things up, and McGrady has been quoted as saying wanting to come back to Toronto. And besides, the thought of Vince and T-Mac back together is enticing....</div>

No, that was taken out of context... The media made is sound like he wanted to go back to Toronto, but he later clarified that he didn't...

11. Ice

Ice JBB Member

This is the big question as we head into the offseason. Will McGrady stay or will he go?

Magic may put McGrady on trading block
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The Magic may trade Tracy McGrady if he fails to convince them that he wants to stay in Orlando. Magic GM John Weisbrod told the Sentinel's Brian Schmitz that he has "no intention of starting the season with an 'I don't know' [from McGrady]". </div>
    <font size="1">Full Story courtesy of FoxSports</font>

Tracy McGrady says the future of the six-time all-star is key to whether he stays.
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">But Hill's value to the Magic never has been greater, nor has his last-chance recovery ever been more crucial.

T-Mac says that "Grant's the key" to him staying with the Magic.</div>
    <font size="1">Full Story courtesy of Orlando Sentinel</font>

Uncomfortable with his Team Role
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Tracy McGrady on being a vocal team leader: "I'm not the type of guy who likes to speak out and rub people the wrong way. That's a role I'm not comfortable with."</div><font size="1">Full Story courtesy of Orlando Sentinel</font>

McGrady's future in Orlando rests on team's moves
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">"On one hand, it's as though the Orlando Magic are in as dire straits as their hideous 21-61 record suggests. Superstar Tracy McGrady is contemplating a possible departure, the team has little salary cap room to make improvements and the defense this season was historically bad."</div>
    <font size="1">Full Story courtesy of Florida Today</font>

Three-way deal would help Sixers
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">"You could get on the phone, B.K., and work out a three-way deal that would send Iverson to New York, Allan Houston to Disney World, and McGrady right here to Philadelphia."</div>
    <font size="1">Full Story courtesy of Philly.com</font>

This topic will be up for the entire offseason, so we can add updates as the story lines progress.

12. jbbKing James

jbbKing James JBB Banned Member

Does not look good in my book for him staying. I would not put any faith in Grant Hill either, I don't care how nice a guy he is.

13. TimFlem

TimFlem JBB JustBBall Member

If he stays the fans will be happy. If he leaves the Franchise is over IMO.

14. jbbCourtVision

jbbCourtVision JBB JustBBall Member

What I find surprising about one of the comments is this:

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">"I'm not the type of guy who likes to speak out and rub people the wrong way. That's a role I'm not comfortable with." </div>
    Has he been listening to himself during the whole season?? For him to say this is like OJ saying, "I'm innocent".

BTW being looked to as a leader is the price of being a superstar. They need him to step up and speak out because his teammates look up to him and respect him.

Okay enough comedy for now.....

Will TMac stay in Orlando? I say No. Why? How are the Orlando magic going to get a firm idea of whether or not he will stay or not? His word? I don't think so.

I look for Orlando to deal him in the summer for another superstar (Iverson in Orlando? I can't see it but its possible). IF they want to max out his value now would be a good time to do it considering his contract situation. Vince Carter for Tracy Mcgrady? Only in a perfect world.

15. crazytown

crazytown JBB JustBBall Member

LIke I said in another thread, Grant Hill is the key. From what I've been reading he's supposedly "looked good" so far and is at the best he's been.

I hope he comes back and surprises everyone cause he's a class act, a nice guy, and was one of the Top 5 best players in the league about 6 years ago. (Man, that was a long itme ago.LOL)

If Ilgauskus can do it then anyone can. =)

16. jbbCourtVision

jbbCourtVision JBB JustBBall Member

^Do you know how many times this has been said about him. I don't expect him to be back ever. How can Mcgrady count on him coming back? If 3 surgeries didn't do anything for his ankle, I don't think this season will be it for him

17. ReRun

ReRun JBB JustBBall Member

t-mac wouldnt fit in the west or in indiana, which is loaded as it is, and indiana woulkd not trade artest for mcgrady ne way. a good place for him would actually be miami or even new york, which is willing to spend money. in miami they could trade jones, or even buy out mcgrady and have him play Sf. or in New York he could play the 2G, but houston would factor in.

18. crazytown

crazytown JBB JustBBall Member

Hey, Ilgauskus had 2 major surgeries and now he's an All-Star. I'm not saying the same will happen to Hill but you gotta have faith. What am I supposed to do? Just give up? I'm a fan. I'd like to have him back. nothing wrong with that.

And yes, I know how many this has been said about him. Magic management recently said they know people have heard this over and over again but this was most intensive surgery Hill has gotten and it' "should" work. If not, then we move on. No biggie. =)

19. jbbShortyC20

jbbShortyC20 JBB JustBBall Member

No biggie, yeah right. Tracy is the base of this team. If the magic lose him then were gonna have to wait for a while to get another great player like him. Unless we get an unbelievable trade for him but he just needs to be patient with the magic. It was only one bad season. I mean think about it, the magic are also going to get a high draft pick. He needs to be patient.

20. YaoMing03-04

YaoMing03-04 JBB Banned Member

aint no way magic make significant changes this offseason

-----
    <font size="1">Thanks for that quality post [​IMG] -Ice</font>