The good news? We finally have a bench.

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Shooter, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Shooter

Shooter Unanimously Great

advertising
    If there's a silver lining to this dark playoff cloud, it's that we finally have a legitimate bench. The emergence of McCollum and Leonard, to go along with Blake and Kamen, is a very good sign. If Matthews can come back strong, and everyone else comes back period, we'll be pretty good next year. And if Olshey drafts and/or trades intelligently, we could be very, very good next year!!

Don't stop believing!

Draco, riverman, dviss1 and 2 others like this.
  2. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Blake and Kaman will not be around in another year or two. I would not consider them solid bench players.
    As our current lineup stands, I only see three true solid bench players. Afflalo, CJ and Meyers. Everyone else is expendable in my book. Even Afflalo if the right trade is there, but he may opt out knowing we already have Wes and an emerging CJ.

3. Shooter

Shooter Unanimously Great

advertising
    Kaman isn't a solid bench player?? Surely you jest. The guy has been big for us this year.

kjironman1 likes this.
  4. Schilly

Schilly Well-Known Member

Kaman was huge for us off the bench until Robin went down then he had to start and log more minutes he ended the season very beat up and broken down.

5. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Nope. Kaman was great, and exactly what we needed....key word. needed. He helped Meyers a lot, mad respect for how Kaman took on a player/coach type of mentality and he didn't sign on for starter minutes, but thrust into the spot anyhow. Understood.
    With that said, he is older and broken down. Do you really see him as a solid bench player for the next 3-5 years? I don't. If he is around next year, it will probably be his last year, especially if we keep all of our bigs and Freeland gets more time.
    Don't get me wrong. Got mad respect for Kaman and what he brought to us, but the fact remains, he isn't a long term future bench player for Portland. Hence my earlier post.

6. PCmor7

PCmor7 Generational Poster

Saying this for years
    We need a backup 3. And maybe even a starting 3. I've been tough on Batum and I've been lining up replacements in my mind. But I want to find out more about this injury and I was pretty impressed to read his taking responsibility for the Blazers' losing to Memphis.

7. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I think most of the guys will be back and I liked what I heard from all of them. Next season is a contract season for Batum and he very well may have a career year. I sure hope so. If we're healthy, we're pretty deep.

8. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

A lot of excitement deservedly so for CJ and Meyers. How awesome does Neil drafting look now? Crabbe has a lot of upside and is still young. Kaman was great off the bench. He got hurt in the playoffs and was overtaxed as a starter but I'm excited about having him for one more season. He allows Meyers to play PF on defense. Blake is fine as a 3rd PG but I wouldn't consider him a good bench player anymore. It'll be interesting what we do with Afflalo if he opts out. Who do we target with the MLE? Do we bring back Wright and Freeland?

9. PCmor7

PCmor7 Generational Poster

Saying this for years
    Does Freeland want to be back?

10. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

The bad news is, we no longer have the starters. =P