The Grizzlies draft?

Discussion in 'Memphis Grizzlies' started by Voodoo Child, Jun 5, 2003.

1. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

Who do you think they will draft and what do you think that they need?

I have said it before and I'll say it again, the Grizzlies need to draft a Shooting Guard with their 13th pick. Everyone is expecting Michael Dickerson to come back, but he won't be back until the end of the season. We need a backup for Person until then. Earl Watson just won't cut it any longer. Sure, we could play Battier at SG, but that isn't where he belongs. As for who to draft with the 13th pick, I think we should draft Dwyane Wade, Mikael Pietrus, Jarvis Hayes, Boris Diaw, or Reece Gaines in that order. I know that some of those guys that I listed won't be around for the Grizzlies' 13th pick, and that is why I listen them in order.

For the Grizzlies' 27th pick, I think they should draft a backup Center. We are pretty much set at every other position. I would take Zaur Pachulia or Kendrick Perkins, but I wouldn't take James Lang. He is listed at only 6-8. I wouldn't risk it with him. So then the Grizzlies would look like this (barring trades) in 2003/2004 -

C - Lorenzen Wright/Kendrick Perkins/Czezary Trybanski/Robert Archibald
    PF - Pau Gasol/Stromile Swift/Ryan Humphrey/Chris Owens
    SF - Mike Miller/Shane Battier
    SG - Wesley Person/Dwyane Wade/<font color="red">Michael Dickerson</font>/Earl Watson
    PG - Jason Williams/Brevin Knight

2. snownation

snownation JBB JustBBall Member

dickerson is done, he'll be lucky to ever play in the nba again, much less be halfway good, which im kinda sorry to say cause i liked him. he's lucky he signed that $40 million contract b4 he got hurt. the grizzlies better hope that jerry west does something really good in this draft, since he made that stupid trade for miller, giving up two good young players for the worst rookie of the year of all time.

3. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Mikael Pietrus will be the guy if West can't find a way to trade up and get Melo.

4. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "shapecity":</div><div class="quote_post">Mikael Pietrus will be the guy if West can't find a way to trade up and get Melo.</div>West may like Carmelo Anthony, but he also likes Mike Miller and Shane Battier. They all play the same position. Miller is the second or third best player on the team and West just traded for him. Battier is the valuable guy who dives for loose balls, sets picks, and does the dirty work. No GM wants to lose that. I am sure that West made comments on how much he like Anthony, but he couldn't possibly fit him on the Grizzlies.

5. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "snownation":</div><div class="quote_post">dickerson is done, he'll be lucky to ever play in the nba again, much less be halfway good, which im kinda sorry to say cause i liked him. he's lucky he signed that $40 million contract b4 he got hurt. the grizzlies better hope that jerry west does something really good in this draft, since he made that stupid trade for miller, giving up two good young players for the worst rookie of the year of all time.</div>That makes me mad. Bryant Reeves did the same kind of thing. With any luck we'll be able to drop his contract early like we did with Bryant Reeves. I think that GM Billy Knight was a terrible GM. He signed Jason Williams, Michael Dickerson, and Lorenzen Wright all to like 7 year MAX deals.

6. go_duke21

go_duke21 JBB JustBBall Member

to solve the SG problem why not go

PG - Williams
    SG - Mike Miller
    SF - Pau Gasol
    PF - Stromile Swift
    C - Lorenzen Wright

depending on who they are playing miller might not be as quick as the opposing shooting guard but in a lot of cases he will be taller

7. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "go_duke21":</div><div class="quote_post">to solve the SG problem why not go

PG - Williams
    SG - Mike Miller
    SF - Pau Gasol
    PF - Stromile Swift
    C - Lorenzen Wright

depending on who they are playing miller might not be as quick as the opposing shooting guard but in a lot of cases he will be taller</div>Miller just isn't a Shooting Guard. He can play there, but he wouldn't be that good. He would back up Person, by the way. It is easier and more probable to get a backup SG in the draft. And Pau Gasol is a PF/C, not a SF.

8. go_duke21

miller is better than person, and Gasol can learn to play SF like Dirk granted that he doesnt have the same touch from outside, it was just a short term solution for the SG problem until they can trade for someone they like

9. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "go_duke21":</div><div class="quote_post">miller is better than person, and Gasol can learn to play SF like Dirk granted that he doesnt have the same touch from outside, it was just a short term solution for the SG problem until they can trade for someone they like</div>Person is the second best three point shooter in the league next to Ray Allen. People underrated him. He is our third option. On the Grizzlies it goes Gasol, Williams, Person, Miller. Check out his stats next time that you are at nba.com. You'll be suprised. Gasol was placed at SF when he first came in, but after one preseason game, he was moved to Power Forward. He is tall and skinny and European, but that doesn't mean he would be a good SF. He can't shoot well and his strengths are under the basket.

10. Voodoo Child

Ok, we need to get this back on topic. Go_Duke21, who do you think the Grizzlies should draft?

11. GatorsowntheNCAA

GatorsowntheNCAA Omaha Bound 2010!

hopefully they won't draft wade, hopefully he'll fall to the magic. do you see the grizz making any deals to move up spartanfan?

12. go_duke21

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "Spartanfan2003":</div><div class="quote_post"><div class="quote_poster">Quoting "go_duke21":</div><div class="quote_post">miller is better than person, and Gasol can learn to play SF like Dirk granted that he doesnt have the same touch from outside, it was just a short term solution for the SG problem until they can trade for someone they like</div>Person is the second best three point shooter in the league next to Ray Allen. People underrated him. He is our third option. On the Grizzlies it goes Gasol, Williams, Person, Miller. Check out his stats next time that you are at nba.com. You'll be suprised. Gasol was placed at SF when he first came in, but after one preseason game, he was moved to Power Forward. He is tall and skinny and European, but that doesn't mean he would be a good SF. He can't shoot well and his strengths are under the basket.</div>

like i said before it was just a short term solution for the SG problem to put gasol at sf cuz his 3 point % is somewhere around .100 or .200 and that is horrible, i wasnt insinuating that he play there forever....if given the chance Miller can light it up although as u pointed out wesley person is a great 3 point shooter so can also light it up, i just like miller better its a personal preference and JWill isnt much of a 2nd option when Miller scores just as much as him in 10 fewer minutes

13. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "sportsrock37":</div><div class="quote_post">hopefully they won't draft wade, hopefully he'll fall to the magic. do you see the grizz making any deals to move up spartanfan?</div>I doubt that the Grizzlies will make a trade to move up. Billy Knight did it a lot when he was the GM. You never know with West though. The Grizzlies have been building their team since they started out in the league and it is almost the playoff team that they have been working for. They have a good player and a great backup at every position. They only need a Shooting Guard to play the roll of first backup until Dickerson comes back. They are really lucky because most of the players worhy of the #13 pick that will still be around are Shooting Guards. West will sure have his pick with Wade, Gaines, Diaw, Pietrus, Hayes, etc., and I just don't think moving up is nessicary.

14. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "go_duke21":</div><div class="quote_post"><div class="quote_poster">Quoting "Spartanfan2003":</div><div class="quote_post"><div class="quote_poster">Quoting "go_duke21":</div><div class="quote_post">miller is better than person, and Gasol can learn to play SF like Dirk granted that he doesnt have the same touch from outside, it was just a short term solution for the SG problem until they can trade for someone they like</div>Person is the second best three point shooter in the league next to Ray Allen. People underrated him. He is our third option. On the Grizzlies it goes Gasol, Williams, Person, Miller. Check out his stats next time that you are at nba.com. You'll be suprised. Gasol was placed at SF when he first came in, but after one preseason game, he was moved to Power Forward. He is tall and skinny and European, but that doesn't mean he would be a good SF. He can't shoot well and his strengths are under the basket.</div>

like i said before it was just a short term solution for the SG problem to put gasol at sf cuz his 3 point % is somewhere around .100 or .200 and that is horrible, i wasnt insinuating that he play there forever....if given the chance Miller can light it up although as u pointed out wesley person is a great 3 point shooter so can also light it up, i just like miller better its a personal preference and JWill isnt much of a 2nd option when Miller scores just as much as him in 10 fewer minutes</div>Miller scores just as much as Williams, but Williams is in the top 5 in assists. He is also a very vocal team leader now and he doesn't fool around. Your situation doesn't fit well with me mostly because of Gasol, not because of Miller at Shooting Gaurd. I think that Battier can start. He started all this year until we traded for Miller. Anyway, why not just draft a SG? Come on, who do you think they will pick?

15. go_duke21

Battier does an adequate job starting but he is not the best offensive option but for hustle, leadership and defense he is a good choice to start....as for drafting a SG i think we should take Wade or Pietrus, both are slashing scorers and with already having a great 3 point shooter in Person i think thats what we need.