The hockey coach who will shoot for the impossible in PyeongChang

Discussion in 'PyeongChang 2018' started by truebluefan, Jan 3, 2018.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

upload_2018-1-3_17-1-55.png
    In 1980, the U.S.men's hockey team brought home Olympic gold -- and it hasn't happened since.
    Now 38 years later, Tony Granato hopes to do the same as head coach at the 2018 Olympics in
    PyeongChang.

Tony Granato was a 15-year-old rink rat from Downer's Grove, Illinois, when he first heard ABC's Al Michaels ask, "Do you believe in miracles?" As he recalls from that night in 1980, "I watched the game on the floor of my parents' bedroom. Seeing the Americans celebrate that night made me want to succeed in hockey."

Now, 38 years and 10 Winter Games later, fans of the U.S. Olympic men's hockey team are being asked, "Do you believe in Tony Granato?"

The former Wisconsin and NHL star and current Badger head coach has been tasked with shepherding a loose-knit collection of European players, minor leaguers, collegians and hangers-on to PyeongChang for the 2018 Olympics. They hope to bring home a medal, preferably -- albeit improbably -- the first gold one for America since 1980.

Read more http://www.espn.com/olympics/story/...n-hockey-coach-shoot-impossible-2018-olympics