The impending changes thread

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Mediocre Man, Jun 3, 2021.

1. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Some of you may have noticed and frankly have probably enjoyed my posts are a little less frequent and a little less lengthy. I’m having some trouble organizing my thoughts a bit, so bear with me as I try this hopeful conversation starter.

I think as a forum, we all believe and or hope that some changes need to and will be made to the coaching staff/front office

So my questions are these.

Do you think changes will be made?

Will you upset if one goes and not both?

Which to you is the “must go”?

Finally the team

Can this team be playoff successful with CJ as Dame’s back court mate?

2. Fairly-Hard

Fairly-Hard Former Member Gone New!

I think I'm going to wait until the season is over. Until then maybe i'll just root for the team to win.

3. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

1) change is always in the wind with everything
    2) No
    3) Id like to see the team trade valuable assets for a dominating forward, if it involves CJ ok. Could involve Nurk, Cov, Ant or and/or others. If Neil leaves then the new Pres/GM will make whatever changes he/she wants.
    4) I do think they could be successful with in playoffs with CJ. Championship, doubt it. Even with just Dame as the lone star!

4. Hoopguru

The one other question I would add is....Would you like to see Jody sell the team? I would

5. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    All we need is to remove MKS (Melo-Kanter-Stotts). With a good coach, we are contenders.

6. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    That would be a good start, and if there is no reasonable deal available for CJ, I would be content with waiting and seeing how those changes affected the team.

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  7. Hoopguru

Any suggestions on what coach would make us a contending coach?

Tince likes this.
  8. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Only if the team stays in PDX

Phatguysrule and THE HCP like this.
  9. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

Some poeple are setting themselves to be really let down next year after Stotts is gone and we're still a 1st/2nd round team.

I expect there to be plenty of spin about players having to adjust to a "real system" or needing time to adjust the roster for a coach that actually value defense as the reason we aren't contenders. Of course, I strongly believe no coach or bench player is good enough to elevate the core of this roster to be a contender.

10. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

There is always some kind of change during the offseason. The question real is, will it be enough change to mitigate the holes in the roster and the shortcomings of the coach? Will it be simply cosmetic (switching out role players for other role players in the hopes we find the right chemistry) or real necessitated change?

Stotts is likely gone. I don't expect Neil to be fired just yet, but we will see. I would be fine with just Stotts going.

It hasn't worked in the past 9 years. Dame and CJ together won't work without a another star level player. We can't get a other star level player without trading CJ. So, no it hasn't and likely won't work.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  11. Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    not totally sure.
    However, I liked Thibs, was practically booed off of s2, and was shown right.

Right now, I like Vander Pool. He has a lot of experience, both here and elsewhere, is highly respected by the players (and many members of s2), knows the organization, and we seemed to regress when he left.

There are others that are intriguing: Becky Hammon (NOT because she's a girl), Ime Udoka, Kenny Adkinson, ...

Media Rumors: Not interested at all in Jason Kidd. I'm lukewarm on Billups, but like Joerger.

Of course, there are coaches I like who won't be available (like Erik Spoelstra)

12. Chris Craig

I think many will just be happy change is happening even if it sets the Blazers back. I don't think most of us are expecting a quick change act where we get a new coach, trade CJ, and are suddenly the champions next season.

Phatguysrule and Jade Falcon like this.
  13. Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    You could very well be right, and in fact, more likely are. Being a curmudgeon is usually correct, and s2ers like to look smart.

I am saying that we could contend via addition by subtraction. However, adding more pieces makes sense, but it's not obvious the right deal is out there. Hopefully, it is, and CJ is gone.

Tince likes this.
  14. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

In theory, both Olshey and Stotts should go. In reality, it will most likely just be Stotts.

In theory, CJ should most likely be traded because it has been very obvious that the Dame/CJ pairing just isn't working. In REALITY I think Stotts will be the fall guy and the team will make some minor tweaks during the offseason and try things with a new coach.

For sure, these people need to be gone next year:
    Stotts
    Melo
    Kanter

Hopefully Collins is healthy finally so we can see if he can fill that PF/C off the bench role.

15. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

I'm not really seeing a scenario where Melo isn't back unless he doesn't want to be back.

16. Natebishop3

That would cement the fact that Neil doesn't give a shit about winning.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  17. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

I hope that's what most people think. However, there have been a lot of posts saying Stotts is holding us back, he's the worst coach in the league, and that this current roster is a contending roster. If people really believe that, then it's only reasonable to expect they assume a new coach will likely vault this contending roster into the WCF immediately.

18. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

That I can't speculate.

Given how much it appears Melo is loved by his teammates and Olshey, why would we think Portland wouldn't bring him back on the minimum if he were willing? We give guys 5 times as much to get DNPs and while Melo has massive flaws, he's one of a few guys who have actually outplayed their contract.

19. Natebishop3

We have no idea what this team is capable of. Especially Dame and CJ. Go watch that clip where Beverley talks about Dame and our shitty coaching. We have never seen Dame or CJ with a different coach. Their entire careers have been with Stotts. How can I really say what this team is capable of until we see what they can do in a new system? How do we know what kind of defense this team could play until we have a coach who understands defense?

Is this team a contender with a new coach? Probably not. I have never loved the Dame/CJ pairing. But again, we have no idea.

20. Natebishop3

Melo's contract is irrelevant. He might be paid the minimum, but he is played like he's being paid $10 million. And while he has his moments, overall he has been a net negative.