The INDISPUTABLE Truth about Michael Vick

Discussion in 'NFC South' started by DolfanDale, Jul 2, 2005.

1. DolfanDale

DolfanDale Active Member

Michael Vick is one of the most exciting runners in the NFL today. In fact, he may be the most elusive runner since Barry Sanders. Michael Vick has one of the strongest arms in the NFL. Big deal. Arm strength is overrated. Ask Jim Druckenmiller what he's doing these days. A quarterback needs to be accurate with his passes.

Michael Vick has NEVER broken the 3,000 yard passing mark in any of his four seasons. Vick has NEVER thrown more than 16 touchdown passes in any of his four seasons. Vick has only completed more than 55% of his passes once in his four seasons. (Last year, he completed 56.4% of his passes. woohoo.) Vick hasn't thrown for more than three hundred yards in one game since 2002 against the Lions and that was his only three hundred yard game that season. Vick and Jay Fiedler have the same career passing rate of 76.9. There will be arguements that Vick makes up for his passing with his feet. I say he's supposed to be a quarterback, not a halfback, so when he starts averaging 250 rushing yards a game then we'll talk.

The TRUTH is that when a team, like the Eagles, shuts down Vick's running game, he isn't a good enough passer to help win a ball game. The TRUTH is that Michael Vick has had enough time in the NFL to become a decent passer, but has failed to do so. The TRUTH is that Michael Vick is Kordell Stewart with better running skills. The TRUTH is that I've grown weary of arguing with people who do not have ears to hear or eyes to see that the art of Quarterback is more than being able to heave a football eighty yards downfield. What does it profit a Falcons organization to start a halfback at quarterback and forfeit a legitimate passing attack? Heed my words, Vick-o-lytes! Turn now from this false idol and rebuke Coach Mora for leading the Falcons into the wilderness. Tell the godfathers of football industry, that pimp Michael Vick at every turn, that you will not bow before their golden calf or buy Vick replica jerseys. Tell the whores of media, who spread the heresy of Vick like herpes symplex three, that you want to remain clean and free of Vick facing 3rd down and long. There will be unbelievers who will try to dispute my inspired words. I shake them off my feet like dust. So sayeth DolfanDale!

Chutney likes this.
  2. Bearsfan1

Bearsfan1 2 Time Defending FF Champion

Praise the Dolfan!!! Hallelujah

3. porky88

porky88 King of Kings

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DolfanDale)</div><div class='quotemain'>Michael Vick is one of the most exciting runners in the NFL today. In fact, he may be the most elusive runner since Barry Sanders. Michael Vick has one of the strongest arms in the NFL. Big deal. Arm strength is overrated. Ask Jim Druckenmiller what he's doing these days. A quarterback needs to be accurate with his passes.

Michael Vick has NEVER broken the 3,000 yard passing mark in any of his four seasons. Vick has NEVER thrown more than 16 touchdown passes in any of his four seasons. Vick has only completed more than 55% of his passes once in his four seasons. (Last year, he completed 56.4% of his passes. woohoo.) Vick hasn't thrown for more than three hundred yards in one game since 2002 against the Lions and that was his only three hundred yard game that season. Vick and Jay Fiedler have the same career passing rate of 76.9. There will be arguements that Vick makes up for his passing with his feet. I say he's supposed to be a quarterback, not a halfback, so when he starts averaging 250 rushing yards a game then we'll talk.

The TRUTH is that when a team, like the Eagles, shuts down Vick's running game, he isn't a good enough passer to help win a ball game. The TRUTH is that Michael Vick has had enough time in the NFL to become a decent passer, but has failed to do so. The TRUTH is that Michael Vick is Kordell Stewart with better running skills. The TRUTH is that I've grown weary of arguing with people who do not have ears to hear or eyes to see that the art of Quarterback is more than being able to heave a football eighty yards downfield. What does it profit a Falcons organization to start a halfback at quarterback and forfeit a legitimate passing attack? Heed my words, Vick-o-lytes! Turn now from this false idol and rebuke Coach Mora for leading the Falcons into the wilderness. Tell the godfathers of football industry, that pimp Michael Vick at every turn, that you will not bow before their golden calf or buy Vick replica jerseys. Tell the whores of media, who spread the heresy of Vick like herpes symplex three, that you want to remain clean and free of Vick facing 3rd down and long. There will be unbelievers who will try to dispute my inspired words. I shake them off my feet like dust. So sayeth DolfanDale!</div>

If you have grown weary about arguing with Mike Vick than why post this. Plus Vick has only been a starter for 2 Full seasons. Now granted he is marketable which is why he sells jerseys. I have never heard someone in my life compare him to the likes of a Joe Montana or Tom Brady. If so I would probably get frustrated a lot like you guys seem to be. I have said before this season being his 2nd in the west coast offense will tell you a lot about Mike Vick.The last I saw the Eagles have a good defense. So lets not assume Mike Vick is a bad "QB" but the Eagles had a great defense. In the playoff game the Falcons won Mike Vick went 12 of 16 with 2 TD's and that is a 75 pct of his passes completed. So he has played nice in big games. Every time a team loses usually a QB doesn't play that well. Vick is like any other QB in when his team loses he plays bad but when he plays great his team rolls. hmmmmmmm. Yet Mike Vick is a "BAD" QB. His numbers may not be great all the time but until Mike Vick goes 6-10 or 5-11 as a starter I am not going to say he is a "BAD" player. I am sure you made this post feeling like you would inspire someone sounding like some kind of preacher.

4. JustBry07

JustBry07 The Underdog

Ok. I have come to the conclusion that some of you are getting almost ignorant with your views of Mike Vick. Could it be bitterness or jealousy maybe? I know it must suck to watch other team?s have success when your team is getting the L each Sunday. Anyway, we all know his stats and what has happened up until this point, and there is no reason to argue it any further. The past is the past and it won't change so let?s get out of Vick?s past and talk his future now.

I for one don't see the problem with believing this guy can improve. Call it blind or whatever you want to call it but having a belief doesn?t make you blind. There?s no fact to believing in something you don?t know will happen, but I am hoping for the best. Vick is only 25, going into his 3rd FULL year starting at QB, and he is going into his 2nd year in the WCO. I like to be optimistic when thinking about the QB who is going to be at the helm of my team?s offense for years to come. Is that so wrong?

There's critical and then there is just ignorant, some of you are flirting with the line between the two. For example, calling him a HB or RB is ignorant. If you want to dwell on what Vick has done in the past and assume that it won't change that?s your issue but things can/do change in this world. It?s pretty cynical to think that things or people can?t change or improve though, that too would be your own personal issue. Change is a part of reality so get used to it fellas. Bottom line, regardless of if you want/believe it will happen or not, Vick could surprise you one day and if/when he does it will be interesting to see the reactions of some of you.

5. BrianWestbrook

BrianWestbrook nfl-*****s member

I am never going to say that Vick cannot be a great QB, but he isn't right now. In fact, he isn't a QB at all right now. He was 26th in passing yards this year, and here's some of the guys he beat. In order, Tim Rattay, Kurt Warner, A.J. Feeley, and Jeff Garcia. Whoa, a stellar list there if I must say so myself. Oh wait, did ANY of these QB's play at least 15 games like Vick did? No, in fact, Feeley and Garcia played the most, 11. Now let's look at a list of people who DID beat Vick in passing yards

-Billy Volek - Started 5 less games than Vick and was able to throw for more yards
    -Josh McCown - McCown, you've got to be kidding me? Started one less game than Vick, plus it's freakin' Josh McCown, and he STILL threw for more yards than Vick
    -Kyle Boller - Need I say anything else...?
    -Ben Roethlisberger - Beat by a rookie in passing yards
    -Vinny Testaverde - We all know Vinny is 85 years old and still playing, while Vick is 25 like you said, yet Vinny was able to throw 1200+ yards than Vick
    -Joey Harringtion - Frequently referred to as a bust, but he busted up Vick in passing yards

Now I'm not saying passing yards are all that matter in a QB, I'm only stating that as a QB, he currently lacks production. He may rush for 900 yards, but with that cannon he's got he could throw for 2000 more yards rather than rush for 900. That is why I don't believe that Michael Vick is a good enough QB at this time.

6. porky88

porky88 King of Kings

Outside of Big Ben who else had their team in the Playoffs. It's not all about stats. It's about being a winner and Mike Vick is a winner.

7. JustBry07

JustBry07 The Underdog

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BrianWestbrook)</div><div class='quotemain'>I am never going to say that Vick cannot be a great QB, but he isn't right now. In fact, he isn't a QB at all right now. He was 26th in passing yards this year, and here's some of the guys he beat. In order, Tim Rattay, Kurt Warner, A.J. Feeley, and Jeff Garcia. Whoa, a stellar list there if I must say so myself. Oh wait, did ANY of these QB's play at least 15 games like Vick did? No, in fact, Feeley and Garcia played the most, 11. Now let's look at a list of people who DID beat Vick in passing yards

-Billy Volek - Started 5 less games than Vick and was able to throw for more yards
    -Josh McCown - McCown, you've got to be kidding me? Started one less game than Vick, plus it's freakin' Josh McCown, and he STILL threw for more yards than Vick
    -Vinny Testaverde - We all know Vinny is 85 years old and still playing, while Vick is 25 like you said, yet Vinny was able to throw 1200+ yards than Vick
    -Joey Harringtion - Frequently referred to as a bust, but he busted up Vick in passing yards

Now I'm not saying passing yards are all that matter in a QB, I'm only stating that as a QB, he currently lacks production. He may rush for 900 yards, but with that cannon he's got he could throw for 2000 more yards rather than rush for 900. That is why I don't believe that Michael Vick is a good enough QB at this time.</div>

Mike Vick is a QB, so get used to it. As far as the list of QB's who beat him on the list go, I can't say that it bothers me. With the exception of Roethlisberger like Porky said none of them went to the playoffs. What is the point in passing for 3,000+ yards and not have your team advance anywhere past the regular season. Passing yards are one stat and as long as you pass enough to get the W at the end of each game it really doesn't matter. I will take Vick's 2313 passing yards, the 11 regular season wins, the NFC South Championship and the trip to the playoffs over a ton of passing yards.

Vick is a good QB for what was needed in Atlanta. We don't have any star WR's and what he was doing worked. Does he need to improve his passing? Yes, and I don't argue that. I would love to see him improve and become a better QB. Until then I'm standing behind what he has done so far, with the belief that things will only go up from here.

8. Bearsfan1

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JustBry07)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BrianWestbrook)</div><div class='quotemain'>I am never going to say that Vick cannot be a great QB, but he isn't right now. In fact, he isn't a QB at all right now. He was 26th in passing yards this year, and here's some of the guys he beat. In order, Tim Rattay, Kurt Warner, A.J. Feeley, and Jeff Garcia. Whoa, a stellar list there if I must say so myself. Oh wait, did ANY of these QB's play at least 15 games like Vick did? No, in fact, Feeley and Garcia played the most, 11. Now let's look at a list of people who DID beat Vick in passing yards

Now I'm not saying passing yards are all that matter in a QB, I'm only stating that as a QB, he currently lacks production. He may rush for 900 yards, but with that cannon he's got he could throw for 2000 more yards rather than rush for 900. That is why I don't believe that Michael Vick is a good enough QB at this time.</div>

Mike Vick is a QB, so get used to it. As far as the list of QB's who beat him on the list go, I can't say that it bothers me. With the exception of Roethlisberger like Porky said none of them went to the playoffs. What is the point in passing for 3,000+ yards and not have your team advance anywhere past the regular season. Passing yards are one stat and as long as you pass enough to get the W at the end of each game it really doesn't matter. I will take Vick's 2313 passing yards, the 11 regular season wins, the NFC South Championship and the trip to the playoffs over a ton of passing yards.

Vick is a good QB for what was needed in Atlanta. We don't have any star WR's and what he was doing worked. Does he need to improve his passing? Yes, and I don't argue that. I would love to see him improve and become a better QB. Until then I'm standing behind what he has done so far, with the belief that things will only go up from here.</div>

It is ridiculous to compare the QBs based solely on W/L and making playoffs. If a QB leads his team to 36 pts a game, and his defense gives up 40 doesnt mean he isnt best qb just cuz his team didnt make playoffs.

9. porky88

porky88 King of Kings

So the NFL is all about stats then. All I will say is when did any of those QB's he listed lead his team to 36 pts while the other team scored more. It's all about winning. Mike Vick wins games with Atlanta. He isn't the only reason but he is a huge part of it. I also wouldn't be surprised one bit if all of those QB's therw more than Mike Vick as well. Atlanta is a running team. Vick,Dunn,Ducket. They like to run the ball a lot. Some of you show me that you don't know how to think. Vick is not the best QB in the game today. He isn't the next Montana. Complaining about why his jersey's sell is probably the most bizarre thing I've heard on here. He has only played as a FULL time starter for 2 years. So your telling me there is going to NO way absolutly NO WAY that Mike Vick won't improve. That if he gets a solid #1 reciever. The reciever will turn into trash because their is just no way Mike Vick can improve? That is BS and you all no it. Every QB usually improves if he has the potential. The fact is Vick has a lot of potetial. You can't teach his speed or arm power but if he continues to work at his accuracy he could be a nice NFL QB. He is still 25 and was in a new offense last season. Now that he knows the offense he should do a lot better. If he doesn't then maybe their is something to worry about.

10. JustBry07

JustBry07 The Underdog

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BearsFan1)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JustBry07)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BrianWestbrook)</div><div class='quotemain'>I am never going to say that Vick cannot be a great QB, but he isn't right now. In fact, he isn't a QB at all right now. He was 26th in passing yards this year, and here's some of the guys he beat. In order, Tim Rattay, Kurt Warner, A.J. Feeley, and Jeff Garcia. Whoa, a stellar list there if I must say so myself. Oh wait, did ANY of these QB's play at least 15 games like Vick did? No, in fact, Feeley and Garcia played the most, 11. Now let's look at a list of people who DID beat Vick in passing yards

Vick is a good QB for what was needed in Atlanta. We don't have any star WR's and what he was doing worked. Does he need to improve his passing? Yes, and I don't argue that. I would love to see him improve and become a better QB. Until then I'm standing behind what he has done so far, with the belief that things will only go up from here.</div>

It is ridiculous to compare the QBs based solely on W/L and making playoffs. If a QB leads his team to 36 pts a game, and his defense gives up 40 doesnt mean he isnt best qb just cuz his team didnt make playoffs.</div>

It's also ridiculous to look at a stat sheet and then judge solely from it. Watch the games every Sunday and watch how Vick plays and how the game as a whole shapes up. Then you can tell me how bad of a QB he is. Despite what you may think the Falcons really don't have much firepower at the WR position, if any were first round picks it doesn't automatically indicate that he will be successful in the NFL. I know Vick cares about one stat, which is the W and thats what the team has been doing winning. He knows he needs to improve his passing and he is trying to do so. He isn't some arrogant idiot who doesn't recognize his faults and not want to work on his weaknesses, so give the guy a break already.

You really don't give him any credit at all. You should though, if he was such a horrible QB he wouldn't be starting and the team wouldn't be winning. A QB can make or break a team. If your offense isn't scoring points and the person leading the offense isn't doing his job, the team won't win games its simple as that. That just doesn't happen often in the NFL. If Vick is that bad then he deserves a lot of credit for leading that team to win all those games because not many horrible QB's can do what he's done.

You know you call the Eagles and Falcons fans blind but shit some of you guys need to open your eyes a bit.

11. Giantsfan1

Giantsfan1 Thread Killer

Ive said it many times and I will say it again. Micheal Vick has his ups and downs BUUUUTTTTT! The falcons with an half assed defense (no offense falcon fans) and not that great WR, he should have got it done with Price.

This is the bottomline.

The Falcons did better that atleast 28 teams last year.

12. porky88

porky88 King of Kings

well put. With Vick at QB the Falcons did better than 28 other teams last year. That isn't a bad season at all.

13. Bearsfan1

Ultimately you can vick little credit for the falcons Defensive sucess. The team was in bottom half of league in point scored, despite the fact they were #1 rushing team. Even if you take away his rushing yards they were a top rushing team. So how do you explain that a top rushing attack has so much trouble putting points on the board? Easily, the QB isnt getting it done. 4 teams with less TDs in the air. They won becuase they ran the ball well(with duckett and dunn, not cuz of vicks scrambles) they had good return man, and played good defense. The fact is they won despite vick. If you look at him in pocket when he plays he looks confused like a deer caught in headlights. He is only starting cuz he sells tickets, and that is what atlanta needed when they drafted him

14. JustBry07

JustBry07 The Underdog

Vick threw as many TDs as the team needed to win, and the team did what was necessary to win. They didn't go above and beyond what was needed to beat the teams on their schedule. Yes, they didn't get it done in the end, but there can only be one big winner in the end, which was clearly the better team. No one is going to say he plays well every game, but I think he's making strides and will improve. Does it really matter how many points were up on the scoreboard, I don't think they need to run the score up, they still won games more than not. Atlanta did run the ball well with Dunn and Duckett but Vick put up a lot of yards on the ground as well and you can't discredit that. He's starting because he has proved to be a winner, and lets face it the Falcons weren't winning before he began starting.

15. porky88

porky88 King of Kings

Without Vick the Falcons go from #1 to #22 in rushing. that is not one of the top teams. Everything you said makes no sense at all. They start him to sell tickets. Teams look to win games and you think Matt Schaub would win more games than Mike Vick at QB. You really must not pay any attention to the football then. You think he looks confused. Really you can see his face. I don't think so. In scoring Atlanta finished 16th. Right in the middle of the league. 14th in TD's. Those numbers aren't all that bad.

16. BrianWestbrook

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (porky88)</div><div class='quotemain'>Without Vick the Falcons go from #1 to #22 in rushing. that is not one of the top teams. Everything you said makes no sense at all. They start him to sell tickets. Teams look to win games and you think Matt Schaub would win more games than Mike Vick at QB. You really must not pay any attention to the football then. You think he looks confused. Really you can see his face. I don't think so. In scoring Atlanta finished 16th. Right in the middle of the league. 14th in TD's. Those numbers aren't all that bad.</div>

He sells because he runs the ball like he does. All I'm saying (and I'm assuming BF agrees with me) is if he could throw more accurately, then the Falcons would be a much better team. Rather than finishing 16th in scoring, there's a good chance they'd be higher if he could get the ball down to his WR's deep. There's nothing you can argue when it comes to Vick and his ability to read coverages and make passes. Currently, in 2005, Michael Vick does not have good passing statistics. No, we're not talking about 5 years down the road, I'm talking now. It's not like he wasn't top 10 in one of the passing stats, but he has the worst statistics as a starting QB besides rushing. For a QB, passing is much more productive than rushing, and if you don't agree with that then you need to stop watching football.

17. porky88

porky88 King of Kings

Vick has no great wideout like most teams do now. He is not the worse in passsing stats but he isn't no where near the best either. What's the big deal if the Falcons have a QB that can run. They are winning games aren't they. If Mike Vick gets a big play wideout I am sure his stats will be better. McNabb didn't have any amazing seasons until he got TO. Now Granted McNabb is a better QB but you guys are talking like the Falcons are a loosing team. They are not. Deal with it.

18. BrianWestbrook

When did I ever say the Falcons were a losing team? When did I ever even make that impression? They are a great team, I just think their only weakness is lack of a QB who can throw the ball. McNabb got TO, but before that he had Thrash and Pinkston, and I'd rather have Peerless Price over either of those WR's any day

19. Bearsfan1

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (porky88)</div><div class='quotemain'>Without Vick the Falcons go from #1 to #22 in rushing. that is not one of the top teams. Everything you said makes no sense at all. They start him to sell tickets. Teams look to win games and you think Matt Schaub would win more games than Mike Vick at QB. You really must not pay any attention to the football then. You think he looks confused. Really you can see his face. I don't think so. In scoring Atlanta finished 16th. Right in the middle of the league. 14th in TD's. Those numbers aren't all that bad.</div>

Actually, that would be accurate, except you really should go back and subtract rushing yards of all QBs for every team. See where they are then [​IMG] Also check rushing TDs where they rank once you take away Vick. [​IMG] I did my fact checking thoroughly not just skewing with vick colored glasses like some

20. JustBry07

JustBry07 The Underdog

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BrianWestbrook)</div><div class='quotemain'>McNabb got TO, but before that he had Thrash and Pinkston, and I'd rather have Peerless Price over either of those WR's any day</div>

Sure why not, Price, Pinkston and Thrash are all the same. The Eagles WR's had the better QB (McNabb) throwing to them though and yet their stats are not much different than Price's, excluding his one solid year in Buffalo when Moulds was on the opposite side. Where even in Buffalo he was still a #2, regardless of stats. All 3 of them are clear #2 WR's. Therefore ending the argument of if Price is a #1 and if he is any better than he has shown in Atlanta thus far. Which still leaves the fact that Atlanta still doesn't have a #1 star WR for Vick to get the ball too. Thank God for that TE Crumpler.