The Jazz "War Room" - Poster Mock

Discussion in 'Utah Jazz' started by KS1, Apr 24, 2004.

1. KS1

KS1 JBB JustBBall Member

Who should the Jazz draft?

I think they should take Rafael Araujo, he shows a lot of promise and I don't think he'll become another Ostertag.
    Kris Humphries, he's doing good this year.
    and Josh Childress, You know what he can do, make him play SG so he has a size advantage. or Kris Snyder.

I think these are resonable picks. We don't have great history of good big men but Rafael and Kris are promising. Give you picks.

I think the areas we need the most help in is Center, Power Forward, and Shootign Guard. If Jameer Nelson slips down that low. Do you think we take him? We really don't need anymore PGs. Also, you think we would draft a foreign player and develop them slowly just beacuse they show promise?

2. dachen33

dachen33 JBB JustBBall Member

Well acording to nbadraft.net. The utah Jazz will draft JR smith, the highschooler. i think he could be good, but i dont think a high schooler will fit the Jerry Sloan system well. I dont think those high school kids have the desire to win. Rafael Araujo could be a good pick but they could draft Ha Seung-Jin 7-3 300 C (South Korea), the first Korean nba player. That could gets many koreans to watch the jazzs game. Hey check out his picture, he doesnt looks weak to me.

3. Captain Quicks

Captain Quicks JBB JustBBall Member

Utah should draft a big man, someone to fill there front court. AK47 plays the 3 from what i know and the Jazz dont got any real talent other than AK47, Raja Bell(should have been 6th man does more for his team) and Carlos Arroyo.

If Utah can get there hands on Hakim Warrick from Syracuse or Kris Humphries from Minnesota(i think) there set. Either one of them will help them achieve new heights since both play the 4 and the Jazz dont have anyone that can play the 4 spot all that well. Curtis Borchardt is a injury prone big man , so they dont have any immense talent that could stay with them for the future.

4. Stockton

Stockton JBB

So much for my thread on this [​IMG]

Utah have the 14th, 16th, and 21st pick in the draft. They could get a top 3 pick, but the odds are 5 in a 1000. So they've got the 14th pick.
    They need size and scoring(both in one would be great), and are still in a state of rebuilding.
    The guy that probably appeals to Utah most in the draft is Kris Humphries, a 6"8' 240 freshman PF out of Minnesota. They are likely to keep a pick where they can be sure they'll get him, and trade the others on a draft day deal. Matt Harpring is on the trading block, and he could be packaged with 2 of the 3, or all 3, of the first rounders for a better pick.
    If no trades are made, they will pick Kris Humphries. With the other 2, they may go for 2 project picks, or 2 guys that can contribute straight away or one of each. They like Euro players, and if Kosta Perovic slips to they'll take him. I doubt they'll go for another PG, especially if Mo Williams doesn't go to Charlotte. They will be going for PF, C and possibly SG. A lot depends on the offseason because Utah have heaps of cap space. Greg Ostertag should be leaving, and thinking that Curtis Borchardt will be healthy all season is like thinking Earl Boykins will lead the league in blocks per game one day. So they are likely to go for a Center.
    Utah will rely on the draft to get new players rather than Free Agency, so that should play a factor in what they do.

5. KS1

KS1 JBB JustBBall Member

I haven't heard much about Ha- Seung Jin, I rather they pick a college big men instead of an foreign long-term project. I just think thats safer, but it dosen't matter till draft day.
    Also, I don't think Hakim Warrik will be a good pick for Jazz. He dosen't do the run and shoot, off screens stuff that Jerry Sloan coaches. He needs to be stonger and have long-distance connection.
    Whens the draft?

6. Rave

Rave JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting KS1:</div><div class="quote_post"> I think the areas we need the most help in is Center, Power Forward, and Shootign Guard. If Jameer Nelson slips down that low. Do you think we take him? We really don't need anymore PGs. Also, you think we would draft a foreign player and develop them slowly just beacuse they show promise?</div>

Jameer Nelson? What would happen to Arroyo? Also why a center? You guys have Kirilenko even though he doesn't play that position. Get a better scorer, rather than an overall player. Arajuo is a good bet, even though he is very capable of D, so yeah, I'd get him myself.

7. Stockton

Stockton JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Magic Johnson:</div><div class="quote_post">Jameer Nelson? What would happen to Arroyo? Also why a center? You guys have Kirilenko even though he doesn't play that position. Get a better scorer, rather than an overall player. Arajuo is a good bet, even though he is very capable of D, so yeah, I'd get him myself.</div>

We don't need another PG, that's for sure. But a Center could be really useful, Ostertag is likely to be leaving Utah. That leaves them with Jarron Collins, Curtis Borchardt and Mikki Moore. I think Collins is a FA, though he should be re-signed. Borchardt is always injured. Mikki Moore many not even make them team and Utah still want to get younger.

8. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

Araujo is a horrible defender MJ, he doesn't rotate, he gets in foul trouble and his decision making defensively leaves a lot to be desired. However he can score better than most on the low post, and has a lot of moves. His big worries are his fitness and mobility, but he could be worth a punt in the middle of the first round, around about where the Jazz will pick.

9. Rave

Rave JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Supersonic:</div><div class="quote_post">Araujo is a horrible defender MJ, he doesn't rotate, he gets in foul trouble and his decision making defensively leaves a lot to be desired. However he can score better than most on the low post, and has a lot of moves. His big worries are his fitness and mobility, but he could be worth a punt in the middle of the first round, around about where the Jazz will pick.</div>

Oh? Must simply be size that intimidates then. Thanks Supersonic. He definitely is a good scorer and rebounder though.

10. dachen33

dachen33 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting KS1:</div><div class="quote_post">I haven't heard much about Ha- Seung Jin, I rather they pick a college big men instead of an foreign long-term project. I just think thats safer, but it dosen't matter till draft day.
    Also, I don't think Hakim Warrik will be a good pick for Jazz. He dosen't do the run and shoot, off screens stuff that Jerry Sloan coaches. He needs to be stonger and have long-distance connection.
    Whens the draft?</div>
    I see Ha Seung Jin can go either way either become a Yao Ming or a Darko Milici. I believe Darko is good, but i will play him at least 20 mintues again. Do you guys remember in the begining of the season Yao was being push around block by every body, but eventurly he got better tougher and trickier because he had the mintues he needs on the court. If Utah drafted Ha Seung Jin, he will start over Ostertage or Jarron Collion, Detriot has way too many bigs to stand infront of Darko' way

11. lateralus

lateralus JBB JustBBall Member

Kirilenko is a free agent right? Do you think he's staying in UTAH?

12. Stockton

Stockton JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting lateralus:</div><div class="quote_post">Kirilenko is a free agent right? Do you think he's staying in UTAH?</div>

Yes. Whilst most other FA's wouldn't like to go to Utah or stay there, Kirilenko is an exception. He's from Russia, and isn't used to the nightlife and things the USA has to offer. He wont ask for heaps of money, and makes nothing compared to other All Stars. He has said constantly throughout the season he likes it in Utah, and he has a family there now(a wife and a 2 year old, Fedor). I can't see him going anywhere, and Utah will try everything to resign him because right now he's the franchise player.

13. InNETSweTrust

InNETSweTrust JBB Philippines' Finest

Araujo blocks less than 1 shot per game. That isn't in any way decent for Utah. Ostertag blocked close to 2 shots per game last season. AK47 can't do it all for himself.

14. kobebryant89

kobebryant89 JBB JustBBall Member

I think the Jazz will leave Borchardt (making around 1.3 mil next year, 2 mil. next year, 3 mil. year after next) unprotected and give the Bobcats a pick to get him off their books.

15. Stockton

Stockton JBB

I'll sticky this one guys. Sergei Monya is another guy worth looking at, a 6"8' SG from Russia who can score, exactly what Utah are after. He can also play defense and has a good amount of speed.

16. KS1

KS1 JBB JustBBall Member

DeShawn Stevenson? Naw...

I like the way J.R. Smith was playing in the All-star games, lets get him instead.
    Too bad he a high schooler.
    Too bad he a dunker.
    Kinda reminds you of someone huh?
    [​IMG]
    He's a better shooter though.

17. Stockton

Stockton JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting KS1:</div><div class="quote_post">I like the way J.R. Smith was playing in the All-star games, lets get him instead.
    Too bad he a high schooler.
    Too bad he a dunker.
    Kinda reminds you of someone huh?
    [​IMG]
    He's a better shooter though.</div>

Yes it does, and Deshawn has probably scared Utah from taking high schoolers. Andrei Kirilenko has probably made them more likely to take European's. They might take Victor Khryapa, a Russian with big resemblance to AK47 and let him play in Europe for a few years. But if they are to take a SG, I'd say they'd take Sergei Monya over J.R Smith.

18. KS1

KS1 JBB JustBBall Member

Hey, Tmac15, my AAU team played in New Zealand once, but yeah my teammate says shoes there are cheap, is that true?
    Let me find out more about this Sergei Monya guy. I'll get back to you.
    Just did.
    he suffered from bad coaching? He'll be fine with the Jazz then, cept I like to see some dunks once in a while.

Strengths: An athletic forward who is very intense. Has a well built body, solid fundamantaily and is a hard worker. Solid leadership abilities. Has a nice midrange jumper and is a solid 3pt shooter, but his best attribute is his team defense, he knows how to help teamates and he's a pretty good one on one defender too. He runs the court very well with good speed and quickness. His scoring abilities are a lot better than Khryapa and this is what puts him a notch above. Monya has improved his long-range shooting even though a bit more consistency would be helpful.

Weaknesses: Has to improve his rebounding and defense at times. He has suffered from bad coaching his entire life. With better coaching earlier on, he could be even further along at this point. Right now he's just a spot up shooter. He should improve his balhandling, which are ok now, but he's not comfortable on one on ones in offensive sets. His vision of the floor is suspect. He and Khryapa had no freedom in there games this year as they were both defensive role players.

19. spark22

spark22 JBB JustBBall MVP

I heard they really liked Jamer Nelson, but what I dont understand why another pg? One could think, they might be going to trade Arroyo to Orlando for a guy like Gooden or maybe to Portland for SAR? I know we would probably have to throw in some draft picks for SAR, but who knows what Kevin O'Connor is thinking?

20. Stockton

Stockton JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting spark22:</div><div class="quote_post">I heard they really liked Jamer Nelson, but what I dont understand why another pg? One could think, they might be going to trade Arroyo to Orlando for a guy like Gooden or maybe to Portland for SAR? I know we would probably have to throw in some draft picks for SAR, but who knows what Kevin O'Connor is thinking?</div>

I heard that to, and considering Utah have 3 PG's it means one of these things.

1. Arroyo will be traded and they want another PG(obviously he wont be traded for another PG).
    2. Kevin O'Connor thinks Mo Williams will go in the expansion draft.

If Utah are looking at PF's, they may go for Anderson Varej?o. A 6"10' 230 pound Power Forward out of Brazil. NBA Draft.net profile