The Jury on John Beck

Discussion in 'AFC East' started by DolfanDale, Apr 24, 2008.

1. DolfanDale

DolfanDale Active Member

I keep hearing people talk about the Dolphins need to get a QB as though it's a foregone conclusion that John Beck is a bust. I realize that Beck didn't show much in the regular season, but Trent Green and Cleo Lemon didn't do much either. Remember, when Beck got a chance, Ronnie Brown was injured and Chris Chambers was in San Diego. I still think the Dolphins may have a future QB in John Beck. Does anyone else feel that way?

2. The Return of the Raider

The Return of the Raider Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DolfanDale @ Apr 24 2008, 12:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I keep hearing people talk about the Dolphins need to get a QB as though it's a foregone conclusion that John Beck is a bust. I realize that Beck didn't show much in the regular season, but Trent Green and Cleo Lemon didn't do much either. Remember, when Beck got a chance, Ronnie Brown was injured and Chris Chambers was in San Diego. I still think the Dolphins may have a future QB in John Beck. Does anyone else feel that way?</div>

drafting that big fella from Michigan on Saturday is going to do great things for Beck's future, me thinks. Even Trent Dilfer got the job done when Johnathan Ogden was watching his back - Dilfer isn't exactly franchise QB material. It doesn't appear the Fins are going to reach too high for a QB, so this upcoming training camp and preseason will tell Sparano all he needs to know about the future of Beck with the Fins.

3. DolfanDale

DolfanDale Active Member

I think it would do a lot for John Beck if the Dolphins were to somehow get ahold of Jacob Tamme, the star tight end from the University of Kentucky. He's 6'5" and 240 pounds and the 2nd All-Time Pass Catching TE in SEC History. Those that are familiar with Tamme might think that I'm just high on him because he's from my hometown of Danville, KY. That's true, but he played for the Boyle County Rebels and my class ring says Danville Admirals. Still, I think I might giggle like a schoolgirl if the Dolphins were to draft him.

Edit - Wildcat Bio on Jacob Tamme

4. Thoth

Thoth Sisyphus in training

I've been on the bringing a top notch TE to Miami for quite sometime. Beck's 2 favorite targets, in his senior season, were the TE's.

Fred Davis of USC is my preference but may not be there. Tamme or Finley (from OU) should be there in round 3 or 4. Because, the depth chart @ TE now in S Fla is average at best.

I did read somewhere and posted here that Parcells and co were impressed w/ Beck. JB has been in S Fla for most of the offseason working on mechanics, watching film, bulking up, and doing whatever it takes get slow the game down for him.

I agree w/ ROTR that getting Jake and solidfying the line will do wonders.

5. TheBeef

TheBeef Commish of FUN!

for most people, hes either a bust or an unknown....he played like a rookie when he played last year, but he was a rookie....he also didnt have the best weapons available to him, the line was starting to give way and the defense was horribile....hes a hard worker, he always has been and hes a devoted mormon eagle scout, so you know hes not a charachter risk....those things will endear him to Parcells and company....you will never have to worry about where he is on a saturday before the big game, he will be at home with his family resting up like he should be....none of that means he can play QB at a high level in the NFL, but it does mean he should get the most out what ability he has, and I know hes got some tools....Im hoping he takes the job in the preseason and never looks back

6. Thoth

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheBeef @ Apr 24 2008, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>for most people, hes either a bust or an unknown....he played like a rookie when he played last year, but he was a rookie....he also didnt have the best weapons available to him, the line was starting to give way and the defense was horribile....hes a hard worker, he always has been and hes a devoted mormon eagle scout, so you know hes not a charachter risk....those things will endear him to Parcells and company....you will never have to worry about where he is on a saturday before the big game, he will be at home with his family resting up like he should be....none of that means he can play QB at a high level in the NFL, but it does mean he should get the most out what ability he has, and I know hes got some tools....Im hoping he takes the job in the preseason and never looks back</div>

For some, he wasn't Brady Quinn and will never measure up. I'd bet some of those are thinking/hoping Parcells and co draft

Agreed about what his play & he was surrounded with last year.

A friend of mine (we are both U of Utah grads) thinks JB will be a bust yet holds out hope for Alex Smith. I'm sorry to say that Martz will hinder any progress AS has made. Alex is closer to being the next Cade McCown than Beck will ever be.

There is hope for Beck. But, if he can't beat out Josh McCown then he should retire. lol?

7. The Return of the Raider

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (blackadder @ Apr 24 2008, 09:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>For some, he wasn't Brady Quinn and will never measure up. I'd bet some of those are thinking/hoping Parcells and co draft

There is hope for Beck. But, if he can't beat out Josh McCown then he should retire. lol?</div>

Because Cleveland decided to reward Derek Anderson, Brady Quinn will not be getting a whole lot of playing time. If there are people who think that Quinn is better than Beck, then what if they are right? To shut those people up, Beck needs to win the starting job in camp, and start all 16 games this year. Then, by this time next season, Beck will have lapped Quinn three times in terms of development and progression. As long as both guys are #2 quarterbacks, we may just be splitting hairs describing their differences.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (blackadder @ Apr 24 2008, 09:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>A friend of mine (we are both U of Utah grads) thinks JB will be a bust yet holds out hope for Alex Smith. I'm sorry to say that Martz will hinder any progress AS has made. Alex is closer to being the next Cade McCown than Beck will ever be.</div>

The niners picked Smith over the Cal Bear, Aaron Rodgers. At the time, I though Rodgers would be better at the next level. I will be keeping my eye on Rodgers progress this season, as I suspect that I was right all along.

8. DolfanDale

DolfanDale Active Member

I'm just not sure how some of the "so-called" experts on TV haven't been bright enough to point out that John Beck was in an offense that had an injured feature back and no legit number one WR or TE. That's a pretty tall task for a rookie QB. Let's compare him to some other QBs after their first year. Joe Montana never saw the field. All Brett Favre had done was drink beer and get traded from the Falcons. Tom Brady had thrown 3 passes and completed one. Tony Romo hadn't thrown a pass. Has Brady Quinn done anything yet? I just don't see how any Dolphin QB can be fairly judged until the talent on the offense is upgraded. I'm starting to feel good about the OL, but the Dolphins need help at WR and TE and I am concerned about how Ronnie Brown bounces back from knee surgery.

9. The Return of the Raider

BQ: only played in the last game of the season vs. the 49ers
    SPLIT CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT
    2007 3 8 45 37.5 5.63 18 0 0 0 56.8

JB: played in 5 games his rookie season
    SPLIT CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT
    2007 60 107 559 56.1 5.22 22 1 3 10 62.0

Edit: Even though I add spaces between the numbers, they aren't being rendered as I had intended when I submit the changes. try your best to read the stats.

10. TheBeef

TheBeef Commish of FUN!

I do believe Beck will win the job in training camp and prove to be a serviceable QB....guys like him just dont outright fail at anything they do, he works too hard and his head is screwed on too straight....he may never set the league ablaze, but he wont be a negative either and he may be a little better than some think....to be fair to his development, he needs some help though....they started to give him that help last year in Ginn and they continue this year with Long....now add a guard and complete the young O-line, use that line to stuff the ball down peoples throats and get him a TE to build a repoire with....it should be Ronnie left on 1st down, Ricky right on 2nd down, Booker in the flats on third down, rinse and repeat until one of them scores....in the already oppressive heat in Miami, that will wear on teams and it should get easier as the game goes on....

11. Thoth

2 questions; What about Drew Mormino at OLG? Will Puffy Williams flake out AGAIN?

12. Thoth

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DolfanDale @ Apr 24 2008, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I think it would do a lot for John Beck if the Dolphins were to somehow get ahold of Jacob Tamme, the star tight end from the University of Kentucky. He's 6'5" and 240 pounds and the 2nd All-Time Pass Catching TE in SEC History. Those that are familiar with Tamme might think that I'm just high on him because he's from my hometown of Danville, KY. That's true, but he played for the Boyle County Rebels and my class ring says Danville Admirals. <u>Still, I think I might giggle like a schoolgirl if the Dolphins were to draft him.</u>
    Edit - Wildcat Bio on Jacob Tamme</div>

And me... so far away w/o a tape recorder. lol.