OT The NCAA will allow athletes to profit from their name, image and likeness

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SlyPokerDog, Oct 29, 2019.

1. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

• The organization’s top governing board voted unanimously to allow college athletes to be compensated, though the NCAA’s three divisions must still craft their own rules and detail the specifics.
    • Student-athletes must be treated similarly to non-athlete students, must not be treated like employees of their respective universities, and there should be a “clear distinction between college and professional opportunities,” the NCAA said.
    • In September, California became the first state to pass a law that would allow college athletes to get paid for endorsement deals and hire sports agents.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/29/ncaa-allows-athletes-to-be-compensated-for-names-images.html

2. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Given that most of these folks are given free college scholarships I'd hope that this deal would require them to not be one and done at the expense of the school that gave them the exposure. Not sure this will turn out well. Also if it's only California schools at this point, that's a hell of a way to kill recruitment to other states.

3. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    The California deal doesn't go into effect for a couple years. This announcement will cover all schools under the NCAA.

I'm not sure why you mention the schools at all. They don't have to pay the players anything. This rule just allows them to make money for signing autographs, for appearances, or even work a regular job and things like that.

BonesJones and SlyPokerDog like this.
  4. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Athletic scholarships..that was my point. Also the one and done trend after getting a free ride in college. I'd like to see scholarships to athletes come with a 2 year commitment. No other college profession puts you in a position to be a millionaire after dropping out your freshman year. To me, it sends the wrong signal about college sports....I see U of O students working at Home Depot all the time. I wasn't aware you couldn't work while in school...I also don't follow college sports much either. Not a fan of selling autographs in any profession.

stampedehero and Hoopguru like this.
  5. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    The problem is students are allowed to work but athletes aren't really allowed to have any kind of normal jobs. If a football player wants to work at McDonalds to make some money he/she should be able to. It's not selling autographs, it's a business paying someone to sign them. If a video game company uses a person's likeness in a video game then why shouldn't that person get a little bit of that money?

As far as one and done goes, basketball is the only sport it happens in. There were 15 one and done players that got drafted this year. So out of the thousands of colleges and hundreds of thousands of college athletes you are complaining that 15 of them left? Do you know how much money a guy like Zion generated for Duke an the NCAA last year but you think he gave Duke a raw deal by leaving them after they gave him a scholarship?

BonesJones and VanillaGorilla like this.
  6. riverman

riverman Writing Team

yeah...I think any freshman on a scholarship that leaves after a year is blowing off his scholarship ...and autographs should be given freely in any profession...book signings you buy a book and the author signs it.....baskeball games you buy a ticket and the player signs the jersey you bought....etc....video companies are not colleges...that's a different subject but I do think students should be free to work their way through college on any level...and I don't think colleges should keep a student from profiting for their brand if they build one outside of their commitment to the school...how young people build value systems is an important part of higher education. Athletes should be just like all students as far as getting a second job. Did Duke showcase Zion or did Zion showcase Duke.....Duke didn't need the ink...Zion did need the ink...he went to a college showtime franchise, not Weber State...Duke put Zion in the position he is in....they are on TV nation wide

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  7. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    The ramifications for this and competitive college sports will be pretty interesting. In my opinion anyways.

stampedehero and hoopsjock like this.
  8. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    Believing autographs should be free is a completely different argument then what is happening. If someone WANTS to pay a player to come sign autographs or make an appearance at an event then who are you to tell that person that they can't pay that person? Celebrities literally cash in on this all the time. Why say that because you are going to school you can't accept money?

BonesJones likes this.
  9. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I'd really like to see basketball start developing a true minor league entry system with the G league instead of one and done college systems...let kids who want to go to college get scholarships...if they don't...go straight from high school to the G league or Overseas.....get an agent and go to tryouts.

stampedehero likes this.
  10. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I would never say that....I think autographs are like handshakes...in any profession and I think students should be able to work....I think going to school for "free" is money. College sports are functioning like "America's got talent" reality TV.....they at least put you in the public eye. In the end I just don't see economic depression for young people in the world of sports...quite the opposite. I also have always believed "stars" are grossly overpaid in entertainment period.

11. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    No one is forcing colleges to give the one and done players a scholarship. They have to be getting something out of it if they continue to do so.

In my opinion, no one should ever be held back from making money once they are of legal age. If I was on an academic scholarship and Nike (or any other business) offered me $100,000 a year to run some department or whatever after my freshman year then I would leave too.

BonesJones likes this.
  12. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

"Hey kid, come to our school and our boosters will pay you $500k to use your name and likeness."

13. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

I absolutely agree with this and this absolutely will destroy college athletics.

TorturedBlazerFan likes this.
  14. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    But this rule does nothing to change that. I could see your point if the college itself was having to pay the athlete but the school literally doesn't have any new financial burden here.

If @SlyPokerDog wanted to pay Justin Herbert $500 to become a poster here on S2 because he thinks that it would bring in new members to the forum then that's on Sly for the way he deals with his money. You don't think Herbert should be allowed to keep that money because he's on scholarship at U of O?

15. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

The only concern--and one that @Reep basically alluded to--is that it basically allows any booster to pay any player (or recruit) any amount of money for any reason whatsoever. This essentially completely removes any notion of big name players choosing a college for any reason other than how much they'll be paid to attend.

riverman likes this.
  16. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    I think we're kidding ourselves if we don't think that's already the case, lol. Just look at how many players got paid by Adidas who were actually committing federal crimes.

BonesJones likes this.
  17. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

But it's not like Adidas has a vested interest in a particular school. This opens the door for coaches to beat down their favorite booster's door and say "go buy me a linebacker", and that now be completely permissible.

As a side note, I wonder if this is going to make ivy league basketball viable? Suddenly, thousands of Harvard and Princeton alums have the means to pay players to come to schools that are historically at a disadvantage because they don't grant scholarships. :dunno:

riverman likes this.
  18. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Sly can't even get 50 bucks to ban anybody around here....500 is a stretch for S2....

19. stampedehero

stampedehero Make Your Day, a Doobies Day Staff Member Moderator

Part Time Building Inspector
    091915_milb_fresno_heineman_catch_med_xdf4erij.gif Great point...…. You deserve a great play. Go Nationals.

riverman likes this.
  20. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    I mean there's been times I thought about giving sly 50 heh. :)

riverman likes this.