The not too soon off-season Thread

Discussion in 'New York Yankees' started by Messiah717, Oct 24, 2022.

1. Messiah717

Messiah717 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Here are the notable free agents. Judge needs to be resigned, Rizzo hopefully either takes his option or is renegotiated, Sevy will get his option picked up and Benintendi will need to be resigned or left field stays a complete goddamn disaster. I don't mind Marwin as an extra but will not be a priority. Matt Carpenter's injury was a killer but at 37 I don't see recreating lightening in a bottle. The rest can go.

Aaron Judge UFA
    Aroldis Chapman UFA
    Anthony Rizzo (Player Option)
    Zack Britton UFA
    Luis Severino (Club Option)
    Andrew Benintendi UFA
    Jameson Taillon UFA
    Chad Green UFA
    Matt Carpenter UFA
    Marwin Gonzalez UFA

stampedehero and Mattingly23NY like this.
  2. BigDaddyAl1973

BigDaddyAl1973 Well-Known Member

Accountant
    they need to ship out Gleybar, put DJ back at second, resign Rizzo and Benintendi and find a third basemen that can hit for average and gets on base.

3. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

Agree with Mess and Al....and we never should have traded Gio Urshela just to get rid of Sanchez as well as taking on Donaldson and his contract in return...if that was the price we had to pay in order to get rid of Sanchez, we could have just released him and kept Gio.

4. Messiah717

Cashman's talent evaluation has been putrid.

5. yankeesince59

6. Mattingly23NY

Mattingly23NY Turning Fastballs Into Souveneir's ~

Ret. Quality OPS/Engr. Mgr.
  7. cagedlion

cagedlion "I am the problem, and I am the solution."

Yankee fans have been nickle and dimed for over a decade with Patchwork Stripes. Cashman, if he had any sense,
    should retire……the game has passed him by. And if this move comes to pass, please take your clueless manager with you.
    Change for this organization begins at the top.

Mattingly23NY likes this.
  8. yankeesince59

Well, this is just fucking great;

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/34883866/hal-steinbrenner-plans-aaron-boone-return-yankees

Steinbrenner backs Boone to return as manager
    TAMPA, Fla. -- New York Yankees owner Hal Steinbrenner plans to keep Aaron Boone as his manager.

"As far as Boone's concerned, we just signed him and for all the same reasons I listed a year ago, I believe he is a very good manager," Steinbrenner said Wednesday as he left the Yankees' player development complex. "I don't see a change there."

Boone agreed last October to a three-year deal with a team option for 2025. In his fifth season as manager, New York sprinted to a 61-23 record in early July, sparking comparison with the 1998 champion Yankees. But hampered by injuries, the Yankees went 38-40 the rest of the way.

The Cleveland Guardians extended the American League Division Series to five games before New York was swept in four games by the Houston Astros in the AL Championship Series.

"We didn't get the job done. ... It's time to get it done," Steinbrenner said. "Any time we don't win a championship, it's a disappointing year. We had a lot of good ups, we had some downs, we had some injuries like everybody else."

"But you've got to give it to the Astros," Steinbrenner added. "They're a very good team top to bottom. We just didn't bring our A-game."

The Yankees have not appeared in the World Series since winning their 27th championship in 2009.

New York was without table-setters DJ LeMahieu, who might need toe surgery, and Andrew Benintendi, recovering from wrist surgery, in the postseason.

Steinbrenner declined to address the pending free agency of outfielder Aaron Judge.

In the hours before opening day, Judge turned down a seven-year contract that would have paid $213.5 million from 2023 to '29, choosing instead to remain eligible for free agency after the World Series.

He set an AL record with 62 homers, tied for the major league lead with 131 RBIs and finished second in the AL with a .311 batting average. But he hit just .139 with three RBIs and 15 strikeouts in the postseason, going 1-for-16 (.063) with no RBIs against the Astros.

Steinbrenner spent Monday at Yankee Stadium with general manager Brian Cashman for early discussions about the upcoming offseason.

"We haven't talked about anything yet," Steinbrenner said. "Cash and I had some preliminary conversions."

Cashman, the GM since 1998, is finishing a five-year contract.

In addition to Judge, pitcher Jameson Taillon, Benintendi and utilitymen Matt Carpenter and Marwin Gonzalez are eligible for free agency along with relievers Chad Green, Miguel Castro, Zack Britton and Aroldis Chapman.

Green (Tommy John surgery), Britton (setback following Tommy John surgery), Michael King (fractured elbow) and Ron Marinaccio (shin) were key relievers sidelined during the playoffs.

9. yankeesince59

Judge "unfollows" Yanx on both Twitter and Instagram ?

Hmmmm....if true, I can't see it as good news. Personally, I still think it's less than a 50/50 chance he returns to the Yanx.

==============================================

Aaron Judge Appears to Unfollow Yankees on Instagram, Twitter Ahead of Free Agency

https://apple.news/As68-xGWjRZ-ieNPTdEZL6A

10. Mattingly23NY

Damn, this is a bummer, but exactly what I expected the spineless Hal to say.

I'd let all of the Free Agents walk, less Benitendi and, and maybe Carpenter. I'm curious if Carp can repeat catching lightning in a bottle again. He was worthless in the LCS. I also bet he's worthless on defense. If only Carp could play D at 3rd, and give the Yanx the push to eat Donaldson's overpriced contract just to move him out of the Bronx.

It's players like this, where Trashman earns his nickname. Along with Donaldson, boot Hicks out of the Bronx, and trade GT for somebody worthwhile, hopefully a starter.

Every year since BaBoone came to NY, every single year since he's been here, it always comes down to blaming injuries on the outcome of a season. Then definitely fire the entire training staff and use a whole different staff including doctors. The Yankees have never fired training staff, but they need to start, and injuries is not the reason why the Yankees can't win an LCS.

11. yankeesince59

My hope is that Hal decides that it's time for a different GM and cuts Cashman loose. That way, the new GM may decide that Boone needs to go too. Jeter GM?...Mattingly Manager?

But hey, I can dream can't I?

Personally, I think Carpenter is done and won't be resigned...and while I'd like to see Benintendi return but I'm not sure the Yanx will be willing to pay his asking price...just my 2 cents.

12. Messiah717

Carpenter was a nice story and the injury was a killer. I just don't see catching lightning in a bottle again. Benintendi I'd like to see back in left because I don't see who else.

13. Mattingly23NY

The local press chatter in tainted So-Cal is saying Frisco will not be outbid by any team.
    The Dodgers are saying- Betts would be glad to move to second base to make room in RF for Judge. Can LA steal him away like they did with Freddy Freeman? Both the Giants and Dodgers have big money decisions to make concerning several of their own players. More than likely the Angels will not bid on Judge, their goal is to sell the team, and is highly unlikely they could unload a team that's already in the red. A team that entertained thoughts only of trading their "Showtime" Ohtani. With Trout and Rendon. Arty Moreno doesn't have the cash to throw at Judge, but that may not stop him from going deeper in debt. Moreno is still trying to figure out how to sell the team, and adding a fat contract for Judge will not help the sale.
    The Oakland A's have not weighed in on the Judge topic. The only news coming out of Oakland is where are they going to move to, Las vegas?

Judge has a career defining decision to make. How many multimillions of dollars and how many years will Trashman throw at Judge?
    Will Judge be offered the honor of being named Yankee Captain?

Is Judge willing to take less? Playing in New York has advantages no other city has, rather no other ball Club has. Remaining a Yankee for an entire playing career also has his advantages.

Will the Mets be a player?

Then there is Rizzo! Hopefully a small raise can keep the Gold Glover in New York. Hopefully he stays, and has a couple of years of good health. I believe the more consistent he can stay health-wise, the better he can improve his offensive numbers as well, while remaining the solid anchor, digging balls out of the dirt at first base.

Bring on The Martian

14. mrmel29

mrmel29 Well-Known Member

I think Rizzo sees what happens with judge first. If judge gone Rizzo I believe is gone also. Also, surprised no word on trashcan yet. Hal announced Boone right away. Im hoping he decides to go in a different direction. So do all the fans!

15. Messiah717

Not for nothing but the Phillies are so far showing how bad this Yankee offense was.

16. yankeesince59

Been watching bits and piece of the WS...but the only reason for doing so was the hope of seeing the Astros lose.

17. Messiah717

I check in on the score. Have had little interest in it. The Phillies had their shot but the bats went cold now.

18. stampedehero

stampedehero Make Your Day, a Doobies Day Staff Member Moderator

Part Time Building Inspector
    If Cashman goes, Boone should be in the same taxi.

19. Messiah717

Pretty much a lock both Cashman and Boone are back.

20. yankeesince59

The more I hear and read, the less convinced I am that the Yanx will resign Judge. Cashman screwed up by not locking him up before the season began, and now it appears that Judge may very well get an offer of somewhere in the range of 10 years/$400 Mil.

Judge will be 31 before opening day and anything more than an 8 year deal is suicidal as far as building a roster than can compete in the PS. If Judge costs us $40 Mil a year that means we'll have approximately $130 Mil tied up in just 4 players (Judge, Stanton, Cole, and Donaldson) and Stanton and Donaldson are essentially "untradable". So this doesn't leave us much room to improve the roster via the FA route.

And if I'm Judge, considering how Cashman treated him before the season began and how the fans treated him during the playoffs, I see absolutely no reason for him to return. If I were him, I'm packing my bags for San Francisco or LA.