The Official Atlanta Hawks Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Atlanta Hawks' started by Buckets, May 23, 2005.

1. Buckets

Buckets JBB JustBBall Member

I saw some other teams with one and I thought people might start posting in the Hawks forum if there was something interesting to debate about. Post everything you find about the Hawks thats draft related like scouting reports/rumors/draft lottery details.

--------------

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post"> The Atlanta Hawks have the best chance of scoring the No. 1 pick, and they're widely presumed to want Bogut. They even flew Utah coach Ray Giacoletti out to meet with them last week for a personal scouting report. The Jazz also have a slight chance of landing the top choice - 11.9 percent, to be exact - and Bogut has talked about how much he would like to play for coach Jerry Sloan.

But Bogut has maintained all along that he will adjust to whatever position he encounters, though he would prefer to play somewhere warm and where he won't be expected to be an immediate savior.
    </div>

Source

2. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

The Hawks are in a great position with both of their picks in this year's draft. They are guaranteed a top 4 selection, and no matter what position they fall in, they are going to be able to draft for one of their two greatest needs ... point guard or size.

Andrew Bogut is the consensus #1 pick, but even if the Hawks are not able to get Bogut, Marvin Williams, Chris Paul, or Deron Williams are all great options to have.

With their 2nd round pick the Hawks will be able to land a player with 1st round talent, at a bargain price. With 108 early entry draftees, the Hawks will have a shot at landing an established college player or they could gamble on one of the underclassmen.

The Hawks will add two players to give them better overall depth for next year.

3. Buckets

Here's what I say they do with their second rounder. Draft Ronny Turiaf or package the pick along with someone like Diaw to Denver or someone with an early 20's pick and tak Hakim Warrick. I'd be happy with either one of these moves and with the first round pick I'm happy no matter who we take if it's out of these 4, Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Marvin Williams or Andrew Bogut.

4. 50

50 JBB JustBBall Member

I dont think that we need to trade away those guys for another big. We would already have Bogut, Harrington, and JSmith. I dont see at all why we would need Hakem Warrick. We need a PG bad.

5. duke42d

duke42d JBB JustBBall Member

Trade that Pick

If the lottery top goes like this!
    1. Atlanta
    2. NEW Orleans
    3. Bobcats

We could then trade our Number 1 draft pick for the bobcats for their 3rd and 13 pick.

1 .Charlotte Chris Paul 5-11 175 PG Wake Forest So.
    2. NewOrleans Marvin Williams 6-9 230 SF UNC Fr.
    3. Atlanta Andrew Bogut 7-0 242 C Utah So.

13. Hawks- Jarrett Jack 6-3 202 PG Georgia Tech Jr.

second rd

Salim Stoudamire 6-1 178 SG Ariz. Sr.
    or
    Wayne simien 6-9 pf

6. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting YoungGun:</div><div class="quote_post">I dont think that we need to trade away those guys for another big. We would already have Bogut, Harrington, and JSmith. I dont see at all why we would need Hakem Warrick. We need a PG bad.</div>

Well, there are rumors that Atlanta is shopping Harrington for a more legit Power Forward. As for the draft, it's pretty obvious that they'll go with Bogut if they get the #1, Chris Paul if they get the #2 or 3, and Deron Williams if they get the #4. The only thing in question right now is the second round. Since the Hawks are looking for a Point Guard, there are six players I'd have on my board at this position -

1) Jarrett Jack (6-3, Georgia Tech, Jr.) - The Hawks would love for the local kid to fall to them, and with the depth of the draft, this is a very realistic possibility. Right now, most mock drafts and scouts project him as only a late first round pick.
    2) Dee Brown (5-11, Illinois, Jr.) - Coming off an All-American season at Illinois, Brown is one of the most underrated prospects in the draft. They say that his size is an issue, but with his quickness, I think it's a nonfactor.
    3) John Gilchrist (6-2, Maryland, Jr.) - Gilchrist is one of the few Point Guards in the draft that could step right into a starting role. He's just a born leader. This would be a very safe pick for the Hawks at #31.
    4) Nate Robinson (5-9, Washington, Jr.) - Obviously his height is a concern, but Earl Boykins and Earl Watson have shown that you don't have to be 6-0 to be a successful point guard in the NBA.
    5) Monta Ellis (6-3, HSSr.) - It's hard to tell exactly where Monta Ellis' stock is. He has been very disappointing in the All-American games, yet scouts are still high on his 40 ppg season. None the less, there's a good chance that he can slip to the Hawks here. The reason I rank him #5 under Gilchrist and Robinson is because I think the Hawks will be looking for more of a true Point Guard. Ellis is just an undersized Shooting Guard who'll be forced to play the point.
    6) Louis Williams (6-2, HSSr.) - Williams is another High School tweener. However, it's more realistic that he'd fall to the Hawks at #31 than Monta Ellis. Recently in an article, the Georgia native said he wouldn't mind being picked by the Hawks at #31.

7. Shapecity

The Hawks end up with the #2 pick in the draft and will have to decide between Chris Paul or Marvin Williams. Billy Knight loves drafting 'swing players,' over the last few years the Hawks have drafted Boris Diaw, Josh Smith, Josh Childress, Donta Smith, Viktor Sanikidze, and Travis Hansen, not to mention they also have Al Harrington on the team.

The Hawks saw first hand they cannot get away with an undersized PF, even in the East. Marvin Williams should play SF in the NBA, but the Hawks already have Josh Smith as their future player at the 3 spot. Chris Paul fills an immediate need at PG and makes the most sense. However the Hawks don't always make the sensible pick and could draft Marvin Williams and then field offers for him or one of the Joshs.

8. BigBlueFan

BigBlueFan BBW Member

Yeah, they are going to have to choose between Williams and Paul because the Bucks will most likely take Bogut with the first pick. The Hawks have a lot of needs and a PG is one of them. If they went with Chris Paul, he'd probably come right in and be the floor general over the likes of Tyronn Lue and Tony Delk.

If they drafted Marvin Williams, then that would probably mean that Harrington will definitely be getting traded.

I think drafting Chris Paul would be the more appropriate pick since the Hawks already have a Harrington who had a soldi year and Josh Smith at SF who looked good at times. Marvin Williams just doesn't look like he fits in very well.

9. 50

50 JBB JustBBall Member

He wouldnt fit at all. I think that we should get Chris Paul and then go for Hakim Warrick if he is still there in the 2nd round. Or we could go for Marvin Williams (Hope Not) and then we could get Lewis Williams (Hometown Hero over here) and he would get more ticket sales for us.

Just the Hawks luck though.

10. Schaddy

Schaddy Tangerine

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting YoungGun:</div><div class="quote_post">He wouldnt fit at all. I think that we should get Chris Paul and then go for Hakim Warrick if he is still there in the 2nd round. Or we could go for Marvin Williams (Hope Not) and then we could get Lewis Williams (Hometown Hero over here) and he would get more ticket sales for us.

Just the Hawks luck though.</div>

not to be bogus, dude, but don't hold your breath on that one...

11. 50

50 JBB JustBBall Member

Yeah I wont but if we could get him then then it would be a big steal.

EDIT: It has us taking RonnyTuriaf on NBADraft.net He averages 16 and 10 at Gonzaga. He could be really good for us.

12. bbwSwish

bbwSwish Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.

If you guys can land Chris Paul and Ronny Turiaf, that would be a successful draft and I would start watching the Hawks. Think about it, Chris Paul, Josh Childress, Al Harrington, Ronny Tuiaf and Obinna. That would be good other then the C position.

13. Shapecity

I'd like to see the Hawks go small with both of their picks with Chris Paul and Louis Williams. There are plenty of free agents to go after to address their size needs and they have a lot of money to spend. They can also trade Al Harrington for a quality big man in the off-season.

I could see a sign and trade with the Wizards for Kwame or just signing Stromile Swift.

14. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">> Today's question: Wouldn't the Hawks have a glut of forwards if they draft North Carolina's Marvin Williams with the No. 2 pick?

NO

Not when you consider a few very important issues. First, Josh Childress played extended minutes at small forward during his rookie season. But he's a natural shooting guard and is considered as such by the franchise. Second, veteran forward Al Harrington, who logged minutes at both forward positions, will be a free agent at the end of the 2005-06 season. He could be packaged in a deal to secure a veteran point guard. And finally, there's Josh Smith, whose athleticism and rebounding prowess allow him to be used at either forward spot and share the floor with another forward such as Williams who can work inside-out.

That makes Williams an appealing option at No. 2, provided he's everything the Hawks (and pundits) think he is. He'll enter the league a more proficient outside shooter than either Childress or Smith at the same stage, and he's as big or bigger than all of the Hawks' current forwards. The Hawks won't get a close-up view of the pre-draft progress the high-flying, 6-foot-9, 230-pound Williams has made for at least a few weeks. They are not expected to bring prospects in for workouts until after the June 7-10 pre-draft camp in Chicago, where the projected lottery picks are measured and interviewed but will not work out. </div>

Why not Marvin Williams?

15. Buckets

Hell, I'd be twice as happy if we could draft Marvin Williams. I've liked this guy ever since I read about him in Slam and saw tapes of him on the internet. I never thought It'd work if we got him because of our logjam at the forward positions but it just might. I'm willing to take the risk.

16. bbwAce

bbwAce BBW Member

I think the Hawks should take Paul with the 2nd pick...they need a PG desperately, and with their 2nd rounder, they should take a post player...they have a plethora of young swingmen in Childress and Smith, and maybe they could package Harrington for a decent 2 guard...I think they should either consider Paul or Williams at PG...I like Williams because of his height and playmaking ability, while Paul is more established...either way the Hawks should be able to pick up some key figures for themselves...

17. 50

50 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Shooter:</div><div class="quote_post">I think the Hawks should take Paul with the 2nd pick...they need a PG desperately, and with their 2nd rounder, they should take a post player...they have a plethora of young swingmen in Childress and Smith, and maybe they could package Harrington for a decent 2 guard...I think they should either consider Paul or Williams at PG...I like Williams because of his height and playmaking ability, while Paul is more established...either way the Hawks should be able to pick up some key figures for themselves...</div>
    Yeah I agree with that. But, they could take Williams and somehow get Lewis in the second round to play PG. I think that would work out. I just think that we have way too many swingmen.

18. Buckets

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">
    Jarret Jack/Diaw to Seattle?

NBADraft.net received word late Thursday that Atlanta will likely use their (recently won in lottery) second pick in the draft on Marvin Williams and not Chris Paul as first thought. Though the team already has Josh Smith and Josh Childress, and has more of a need for PG, the team feels Williams is by far the best prospect available.

The second part to this is that they have a plan in place to add a PG later in the first round. Atlanta would like to grab Jarrett Jack in the late first round area. A trade involving the Supersonics pick at 25 has been discussed. The Hawks would give up their 31st pick, the first in the second round, plus big guard Boris Diaw, who's skills are being wasted on a team that lacks scorers. The Hawks feel they could get Jack at 25, as teams in the mid first round have not showed him much interest.

The trade makes sense for both teams, as Seattle would add a passing guard who would fit in very well with Luke Ridnour and Ray Allen.

</div>

Source

---------------

I'd love that to happen and if anyone here has read some of my previous posts's I'm really high on Jarret Jack and I think he'd be a great pick for the Hawks but I dont think he'll still be available at the 25th pick.

19. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

I'd love that too, gives us a defensive 2/3 and a non-guaranteed contract.

Dropping 25 to 31 probably won't change the quality of player we pick very much at all in this draft, but Jack won't be there at 25 I wouldn't have thought. Personally I doubt he gets past Boston at 18.

20. B.e.

B.e. The One Who Score Touchdowns and Spikes Mics

That sounds like a good idea, to draft Marvin Williams, then take Jack in the second round. But as both of you have already said, Jack will probably get picked before that. With that being said, should they address there major needs by drafting Chris Paul, or take the best player available then play the second round by ear.