The official let's DUMP MEYERS thread

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Blazinaway, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

I think it may be time for a trade or a release Meyers thread. I was onboard with giving him this year but I just can't stand seeing him on the floor! As hard as it is to believe he looks worse than last year, what a horrible pick

2. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Get in line

3. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

No point trading him when his value is at its lowest. And it's not like there are any Cs on waiver we could pick up that are far superior. My suggestion is to just send him to Boise once Joel returns.

4. BLAZER PROPHET

BLAZER PROPHET Well-Known Member

dental malpractice claims adjuster
    Geeze, how easily some of you quit on players and the team.

I still see a very athletic project player. I'd like to see him sent to the D league for a while and maybe see if we can get an actual bigs coach to give him better help.

If, after 4 years he hasn't become much of a player, then let him go.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  5. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    What is to be gained by cutting him? Send him to the D League and teach him to play the position his height says he should play.

6. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    I'm not giving up on him. He's young and he's 7-1. He got abused by D-12, but there's no shame in that.

7. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

The shame is not just not improving, but regressing from year one to year two

8. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    I think I'll save this thread along with "The official let's DUMP FREELAND" thread from last year.

9. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

It's nothing personal, but the dude can't play and it isn't going to change. I know, I know, I'm not being fair and giving him enough time, blah, blah, blah. He can have all of the physical attributes of an NBA center, but without the stuff between the ears it's never going to happen and that stuff between the ears can't be learned or taught at this late stage of his development.

10. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

I pointed out in the game thread that what Leonard needs is a mindset that Joel displayed this summer. Joel passed on the national team to work on his NBA game. It looks like Leonard spent his summer playing with his money going all GQ with his look. Leonard is young. He can add muscle and once/if the game slows down for him, he can be effective. But it's going to take a lot work on Meyers part and a lot of patience by the coaching staff.

11. illmatic99

Have we ever given thought that our big man coaching is not that great? Who's that guy we have from the Clips? Kim Hughes?

He should have shut down Leonard's attempts to practice three pointers from the beginning.

12. Nikolokolus

Myers biggest sin is that he's not tough. He plays like he's 6'3" - Andrea Bargnani without the skill.

13. Nikolokolus

This isn't a coaching error this is a scouting error. Guy can't play center and will never be a player.

We all just need to remember that there's a reason he was available when we were picking - he was a long-shot coming out of school; a low probability prospect that didn't pan out (something that happens all the time in the NBA).

14. The_Lillard_King

I agree . . and see your point about he might be hopeless.

It's hard to stand behind Meyers now (and I was extremely harsh on the Blazers about the pick). But I think toughness is something that can be learned, especially with him being so young.

Robin pretty tough these days? Has he always been. I know he sucked early in his career but maybe he has always enjoyed contact. Anyways, we all are probably hoping I am right but I admit I'm being a homer about Leonard these days.

15. The_Lillard_King

And where is Zags now. He is so quick to point out when he predicted a college player was going to be good and he must of told people that questioned the Leonard pick a dozen times that we should be ready to eat crow.

I need you now Zags . . . somehow I'm on the Leonard has hope bandwagon. :)

16. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Remember - the guy isn't even 22 yet.

He just needs to be in the dleague for a year or so, out of the NBA cycle that may allow him to coast.

17. illmatic99

IDK, man. When was the last time we saw/heard of a coach battling Leonard with those huge foam gloves in the post, like we saw daily with Kanales/Bayno and LA? All we see are practice and warmup videos of Hughes or a ball boy rebounding jumpshots for Leonard/TRob/Freeland.

18. Nikolokolus

I could not possibly disagree more with that bolded bit ... especially as it pertains to adults. If Meyers were ten years old and a pussy it might be possible to rewire him, but as someone who wrestled from the age of 10 until I was a senior in high school I feel confident in saying that toughness and "nastiness" (i.e. a willingness to fight and seek confrontation) is pretty much hard-wired into you by about age 12 or so.

As for Lopez I think his biggest liability coming into the league was lack of fluidity and skill. I don't know if he was "tough" or not, but I think he's always been comfortable with fitting into the role of a defensive minded center.

19. Nikolokolus

It really won't make much of a difference. I swear.

No biggie. Leonard was a long-shot that was probably worth gambling on, but it didn't pan out. It's fine to admit it and move on. At least we have Lopez and aren't depending on him.

20. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    It wasn't getting abused. It was actually not even following basic fundamentals. There wasn't much D-12 did to warrant such piss poor performance.