The Official Proposal For 2021-22 With Tentative Dates

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by KingSpeed, Dec 20, 2019.

1. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    https://www.nba.com/article/2019/12/20/nba-proposes-78-game-season-among-changes

The NBA has sent a proposal to teams calling for a 78-game regular season, along with an in-season tournament for all teams and a reseeding of the playoffs when the field is cut to the final four clubs.

A copy of the proposal was obtained by The Associated Press on Friday. The plan laid out for teams calls for a play-in tournament to decide the seventh and eighth seeds in both conferences - the top 10 finishers in both the East and West would therefore have a chance at the playoffs - as well as a $1 million per player prize for the in-season tournament.

The league would make the changes for the 2021-22 season on a trial basis, with an option to continue the next season. The league's board of governors is expected to discuss and likely decide whether to go forward or not with the plan in April.

The notion of adding a in-season tournament has been something Commissioner Adam Silver has talked about since at least 2016, drawing the parallel to how such events are customary in European soccer.
    Commissioner Adam Silver has long been a proponent of an in-season tournament.
    "It would need to be negotiated with the Players Association," Silver said earlier this year. "I've had very general discussions with (union executive director) Michele Roberts about the notion that these are the kinds of things we're looking at. I think she, of course, is supportive of looking at any ideas we have to build the business over time."

ESPN and The Athletic first reported on the contents of the proposal.

The NBA told teams that a study it commissioned through a third-party company earlier this year showed that 60% of NBA fans want a shorter regular season, that 68% of fans said they are interested in an in-season tournament and 75% were interested in a play-in tournament to decide the playoff field.

The same study, the NBA said, found fans liked the idea of reseeding the final four playoff teams - even though that would open the door to the potential of the NBA Finals going on between two teams from the same conference.

The NBA told teams that "fans feel it would make the final two rounds more desirable to watch."

A breakdown of the changes:

IN-SEASON TOURNAMENT
    The proposal calls for teams to play eight divisional games in the group stage of the event, which would begin Nov. 24, 2021 and continue through Dec. 11. (The NBA said the dates are tentative.) The group stage games - four home, four away - would count toward a team's regular-season total.

The six division winners and two wild cards would qualify for the quarterfinals on Dec. 13 and 14, 2021. Semifinals would be played as a doubleheader on Dec. 16 and the title game would be played two days later - with the semis and finals at a neutral site like Las Vegas. Players on the winning team would split $15 million; the winning coaching staff would split $1.5 million.

The NBA said that there is the potential for "additional prizing for players on the remaining final four teams" and that other incentives for teams and fans were "to be determined."

PLAY-IN TOURNAMENT
    The regular season would end on a Saturday, one week before the start of the playoffs - as opposed to ending on Wednesday, as has been the case for years.

The top six teams in each conference would be in the playoffs.

The teams in seventh through 10th place in the regular-season standings would play off as follows: The seventh- and eighth-place teams would play with the winner clinching the No. 7 playoff seed. The teams holding the ninth- and 10th-place regular season spots would also play, and the winner of that game would play the loser of the 7-8 game to determine the No. 8 playoff seed.

From there, the first two rounds would be played as usual. Once the playoff field is down to four teams, those clubs would be reseeded based on regular-season record.

2. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    Booooooooooooooo

Chris Craig and SIeepwalker like this.
  3. Titan

Titan Well-Known Member

If it’s just a one season thing, I would be down for it

4. blazerfan11

blazerfan11 Well-Known Member

What happens with the draft lottery? That would stink if you get the 8th seed and are out of the lottery, then lose in a "play in" and don't get a chance to play a full playoff series against a good team that people would pay money to see.

edit: and why is the 7 seed playing the 8 seed and not the 10th seed?

Chris Craig likes this.
  5. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

Nah. This is dumb. Just shake things up to make it easier for small market teams to compete...

If small market teams can win the whole country will tune in.

6. VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla Well-Known Member

Idk it actually sounds pretty cool to me.

7. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Because they are choosing two seeds. The team that loses the 7 seed matchup plays again vs the 9/10 winner for the 8 seed. Makes sense to me.

8. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Hell, i like it. The NBA as a collective is fuckimg garbage right now. Make it better. All for it.

9. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    I think the lottery should be 1 ping pong ball for each of the 30 teams. Maybe the bottom 14 get 2 balls. Anyone can win it so stop tanking.

10. DUB

DUB Da, da da, da dah!

I want each team to play every other team an equal number of times.

I want the teams with the best regular season records to make the playoffs, regardless of geographical location.

Dougnsalem likes this.
  11. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

I hate everything except the play-in games.

SIeepwalker and hoopsjock like this.
  12. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

So you calling for a 58-game season, or 87?

hoopsjock and BonesJones like this.
  13. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

What do you hate about the re-seeding?

14. SIeepwalker

SIeepwalker The lone sane poster

We heard your complain that there are too many regular season games, generating numerous back to backs and taking a toll on the players, which raise the risk of injuries. This is why we are removing 4 games from the regular season ! But actually we are adding 11 games as a pointless mid-season tournament

hoopsjock likes this.
  15. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Pointless.

16. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    I. D. O. C.

17. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

I'm in favor of all three changes.

This would help with tanking as a number or teams have shot at 10th seed. 7th has two chance to win a game at home to make playoffs, if they lose both they deserve to leave. Also makes getting the 6th seed more important. It makes the end of the regular season more meaningful for a lot of teams.

Reseeding conference finals also makes the end of season more important for NBA 1-5 teams, instead of now often they are locked in as top conference seed.

I like the single elimination midseason tourney, new teams can get hot and win. So unlikely for an underdog to win four 7 game series. 82 games is super boring so this adds a new aspect.

I hope they do this, in future years reduce games further, and allow HCA playoff teams to pick opponent.

42N8Bounce likes this.
  18. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    Uneven schedules making overall records skewed towards the weaker conference.

19. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    Seems to me having the 8th seed play the 7th seed and then the loser of that game play the winner of the 9th and 10th seed is dumb.

Have 7 play 10, and 8 play 9, and the winners move on.

SIeepwalker likes this.
  20. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Terrible

We get to watch 4 less games during the season

Players will end up getting injured during the mid season tournment. The tournament is just more revenue and ratings for the NBA. It does nothing for the teams except sone extra cash if you win.

The play in sucks....teams are already exhausted by the playoffs, so make the worst ones play more games?

Dougnsalem and hoopsjock like this.