The Remaining Schedule and the Drive for #5 (Column)

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by TBpup, Feb 12, 2016.

1. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    28 games left, 14 at home, 14 on the road. and currently in 7th place due to a tie-breaker advantage. Right now that would get Portland a 1st round mechanical-like dismissal from the Spurs and although nothing would be better than sending LaMarcus Coattails home via our Blazers, that just isn't going to happen without a major injury on their side. So what is the best case scenario?

#6 would get them a match-up against OKC and while we have had a little more success against them, if they are healthy, I wouldn't expect that series to go past 5 games either. But if Portland could climb to #5......

...that would be a match-up against the Clippers. Granted, that would be inviting the whining, complaining and constant verbal abuse that is the Clippers and their coach, Doc (Cry me a) Rivers but that series has the possibility of being competitive and at least a chance at an upset. So how do the Blazer catch Memphis?

It will be very difficult. 7 of Portland's next 9 games are against teams with a .500 record or better. Many of those are on the road where before the last road trip, Portland didn't have a single road win against +.500 teams. But its' not all Portland's schedule.

The Blazers first have to catch Dallas (who is 4-6 in their last 10) and then hope they can close the 4 .5 game gap between them and Memphis as they should struggle at least a big till Gasol gets back. Before he went out, they were one of the hottest teams in the NBA and should still win their share against mid to lower level teams.

Portland has had a soft schedule so far but Memphis's schedule hasn't been much better. But while Gasol is on the mend, 6 of their next 7 are against cupcakes. MIN, Lakers twice, Suns, Nuggets and Kings. Then the Jazz and the Suns again before they actually start playing anyone of substance. Even if Memphis played .500 ball for the rest of the season, Portland would have to finish 17-11 over a very difficult stretch to do so. A tall order indeed.

So it is going to be very difficult to catch the Grizzlies just due to how soft their schedule is as they deal with injuries but that is where I think they need to get to in order to have a shot at a competitive playoff series and actually gain some playoff experience.

It will start against the Warriors who will have had multiple players at All-Star weekend and maybe you catch them a bit out of rhythm after a week off. If that happens.....look out. Confidence is a funny thing with a young team....and right now, these young Blazer have it.

stampedehero, Spud147, dviss1 and 8 others like this.
  2. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I.

Want.

San Antonio.

rotary111, Spud147, dviss1 and 8 others like this.
  3. Eastoff

Eastoff But it was a beginning.

I'm bumping this good read.

Spud147, PDXFonz and Orion Bailey like this.
  4. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I listened to Joel Freeman and Casey Holdahl adamantly lobbying against a matchup with the Spurs....said it was their worst nightmare for coverage of the team in the playoffs....they'd have to interview LA and translate his answers...personally I think it'd make a great storyline

5. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I mean.... our chances of beating anyone in the playoffs are already slim....... but knocking off Aldridge and the Spurs, or at least have the chance to knock them off, would be a dream come true. And with our guards, I think they'd have a real problem defending us. Who on that team could stop Dame? Or CJ? Parker isn't a star player anymore. Their best player is a small forward, and I think that's our strongest position on defense. I would also pay good money to see Leonard try to get under Aldridge's skin.

chzbrgr, fumanchu, Spud147 and 8 others like this.
  6. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

I think you undersell just how dominant they've been defensively this year. Imagine how much better (worse for their opponent) they'll be in the playoffs if they're even moderately healthy.

TBpup likes this.
  7. riverman

riverman Writing Team

After watching Cleveland and Golden State destroy the Spurs this season and seeing as it took a buzzer beater for them to beat Orlando by a bucket the other night...I think age may finally catch up to the Spurs...Lamarcus was neutralized by ZBo in the Memphis series last year. I would welcome the challenge come playoff time. Beating the Spurs in the first round would be a great feeling for any Blazer fan. By playoff time, the Spurs will be even older and eventually, they're going to drop off. This could be that year. Spurs are a contender....most teams in the playoffs are going to be tough matchups...I'll take a Spurs series early instead of a Golden State series anytime

8. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

Yes age is finally catching up to the team that is 45-8.

9. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    In crunch time. Kawhi Leonard would likely be on Dame and Danny Green on CJ. Parker could guard Aminu because he doesn't post up.

As for the Spurs losing to Golden St and Cleveland, they didn't have their full line-up either night. When they have everyone, they have only lost something like 4 games.

Eastoff and Nikolokolus like this.
  10. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

San Antonio has excellent wing defense and interior rim protection. But their weakness is quick long range smaller scoring guards. Guess what we have two of?

We'd still be a massive underdog to them but in terms of having a chance at winning a few games against a higher seed I definitely like our chances against them more than the Warriors or Thunder. Not sure about the Clippers if they are healthy. An opponent being injured probably gives us our best shot though. Duncan and Manu have serious injury issues. I agree with others that LaMarcus is not good with pressure and expectations so I could see him having some horrific games in the playoffs.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  11. riverman

riverman Writing Team

It sure just caught up with Ginobli who is 45-8 and may never play again with testicular surgery...yeah...we know the Spurs have the 2nd best record going into the allstar break...got it but come playoff time, they might see some dropoff....not a popular slant when so many posters have them as unbeatable, but they are beatable...teams have been eliminated in the first round with high playoff seeds and great regular season records..

Orion Bailey likes this.
  12. noknobs

noknobs Well-Known Member

No.

The 45-8 Spurs, who've won 6 in a row, are not going to morph into decrepit old men over the next two months. Their best player is younger than Damian. Aldridge, Danny Green and Patty Mills are still in their prime. They have a very deep team so their old-timers don't have to play heavy minutes, and Pop is the master of giving his guys rest, especially leading up to the playoffs. Parker rested their last game for example. Manu is out now with a groin injury and they're 4-0 since. Duncan hasn't played in 15 games so far this season, Parker 10. They're still 45-8.

Under Pop they have a tried and true system and it works year after year. I would not look forward to playing them in the playoffs and seeing Aldridge advance at our expense.

JFizzleRaider likes this.
  13. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I picked the Spurs to win it all starting the season...they still might but beating them instead of having Utah beat them would be amazing...I'm not someone who now thinks they are unbeatable....I do think Golden State is though. The Spurs are stacked...all the more reason to rise up to the challenge in my view..but as a team, they are no longer young top to bottom. We are though with the exception of Kaman and he's about 6 years younger than Duncan.

14. noknobs

noknobs Well-Known Member

Everyone is beatable, even G.S. But I'm still not going to be rooting for the 2nd youngest team in the league to be going up against the team with the most playoff experience. And I'm definitely not going to hold out much hope in beating them 4 out of 7 times.

PDXFonz likes this.
  15. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Blazers are always an underdog...doesn't stop me from rooting for them to be a spoiler team though...it's not like we're favored across the board to beat anybody so in the words of a wise person....we've got absolutely nothing to lose...they have everything to lose

16. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Stranger things have happened

17. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

Crazier things have happened than the #2 losing to the #7 seed. I don't care if it is the world renowned San Antonio Spurs and we are just some young bucks looking to make a name for ourselves.

But there's no denying the odds would be on their side.

18. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    As always, I'm sure the refs will give it their best shot.

19. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    I'd like to win a first round, thank you. That means we need No. 5 or 6 seed.

Go Blazers!

TBpup likes this.
  20. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I'd prefer 4 wins in the first round...1 win would be a repeat of last season:)

Spud147 likes this.