The Top Imports (international first rounders)

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by BRockwell, May 17, 2003.

1. BRockwell

BRockwell JBB JustBBall Member

Here's my list and short notes of who I consider to be the top international prospects

1. Darko Milicic- Enough has been said about him already but in short 7 footer with skills simlar to Nowitzki in that he's a big man that can score effectively from any range. The difference is that Milicic plays tough as hell in the post and is plays very good post defense as well.

2. Mickael Pietrus, SG, France- An incredible athelete who utilizes it at both ends of the court. He's an agressive, skilled defender who is strong for his size. Think Desmond Mason with a sweet 3pt stroke.
    20 years old. Definite lottery pick.

3. Maciej Lampe, F, Poland- Great body for an 18 year old kid (7', 255). Has smooth, smooth shot for someone his size. Can knock-down the 3 and is more of a face the basket, high-post player, but is comfortable with his back to the hoop. Needs to improve his defense and get stronger. A poor rebounder for his size. Definite lottery pick.

4. Pavel Podkolzin, C, Russia- He's absolutely huge. 7'4, 330lbs and only 18! He has an incredible amount of athletic ability for a kid someone his size. Has good handles and a sweet, sweet shot FOR A CENTER and occasionally tries to play like he's 6'4. Tough to get a read on him b/c he's project. Doesn't use his size or defend well in the post. He's probably 3 years away but he has the most upside of anyone outside the Big '3' in this years draft. Has major buyout issues (10 million dollars right now, means he's almost HAVE to stay in Europe for at least one year). Also has a bit of ankle trouble. His upside may only be exceeded by his many, small, nagging problems. 10-15th overall

5. Leandrinho Barbosa, PG, Brazil- Good size for a pg (6'4, 6'10" wingspan) and is an explosive athelete. His speed is his best attribute, he flies up and down the court with enough burst and energy to make tony parker look stiff. Another hard guy to get a good read on because he's dominated at a slightly lower level of competition than the European prospects. Averaged 29.6 ppg, 7.8 apg, 4.2 rpg, 2.6 spg and 0.8 bpg , 57% from the field, 47% from beyond the arc and 85% from the line. 21 years old, 10-15th overall

6. 5. Boris Diaw, SG, France- Has the misfortune of playing in Pietrus' shadow. Diaw has better skills, but isn't the athelete Pietrus is. Also, Diaw isn't a great scorer. Is very smooth and one of the top 5 passers in the draft, has a pass first mentality and might make a very good point-forward (6-9, 220lbs). Upside is similar to a Scottie Pippen with a lower ppg average. 14-19th overall

7. Alexsandar Pavlovic, SG/SF, Yugoslavia- A good shooter and scorer but a swinging gate on 'D'. Think a young Peja. 6'7, 210, 21 years old. 14-19th overall.

8. Anderson Varejao, PF, Brazil- A great rebounder, shot-blocker and an aggressive athelete who struggles on offense. Could be a great player in the Ben Wallace/Nene Hilario mold, but some scouts say he's a tweener. Not big or strong enough to play PF, but not athletic enough to be a '3' (6'10, 230 20yrs old). Also, he cannot participate in private workouts, which will hurt his stock. 14th-19th overall.

9. Sofaklis Schortsianides, C, Greece- A real bruiser whose stock depends on how he measures up, 6-10, 287 but some teams claim he's more like 6-8. If he's any smaller than 6-10 then I really don't see what he has to offer that the american post players don't. He doesn't do anything better than Sweetney or David West, except be bigger. His stock is dependant on the tale of the tape. 10-15th if he measures up, around 20 if he doesn't.

10. Zaur Pachulia, PF/C, Georgia- Is big and strong for a 19 year-old (6'11, 255). Actually declared for the draft last year than pulled his name when it appeared he was a late first round/early second round pick. He isn't all that smooth in the post, but can score and is a good rebounder. Plays very tough in the paint and should easily go in the first round this year. Late first rounder.

11. Victor Khryapa, SF, Russia- A long, talented defender who is an excellent rebounder and shot-blocker. Has a very similar game to Andrei Kirilenko a year or 2 ago. Contract issues mean he probably needs to stay in Europe for a year, but thats a plus for many teams choosing late in the first round. Late first rounder.

Borderline first round/early 2nd round prospects Carlos Delfino, SG/SF, Argentina, Zarko Carbakapa, PF, Yugoslavia, Zoran Planinic, PG/SG, Croatia, Malick Badiane, PF/C, Senegal, Slavko Vranes, C, Yugoslavia.

If anyone is curious about these borderline 1st round picks, just ask and I'll tell you what I know/think about them. Some of them are very interesting because they have top 15 upside but are raw or under contract but teams with good records or extra picks will probably draft them and stash them for a year or two so they can develop them for free.

2. jjdaman20

jjdaman20 BBW Member

good in-depth looks...what's the height of the SG Pietrus...?

3. BRockwell

Pietrus is listed at 6'6.

He's one of my favorite players. If the Pistons didn't have Rip Hamilton, I'd be dying for us to draft him...wonder how he'd fit as a 3....

4. jjdaman20

jjdaman20 BBW Member

yeah he looks like a good player...Mavs could use him over Finley...

5. GatorsowntheNCAA

GatorsowntheNCAA Omaha Bound 2010!

i hope barbosa is left at #15, i think the magic should draft him over hinrich and ridnour.

i didn't know much about him, thanks for the info rocko.

6. vinsanity03

vinsanity03 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">4. Pavel Podkolzin, C, Russia- He's absolutely huge. 7'4, 330lbs and only 18! He has an incredible amount of athletic ability for a kid someone his size. Has good handles and a sweet, sweet shot for a 5 and occasionally tries to play like he's 6'4. Tough to get a read on him b/c he's project. Doesn't use his size or defend well in the post. He's probably 3 years away but he has the most upside of anyone outside the Big '3' in this years draft. Has major buyout issues (10 million dollars right now, means he's almost HAVE to stay in Europe for at least one year). Also has a bit of ankle trouble. His upside may only be exceeded by small, nagging problems. 10-15th overall
    </div>

two words. Holy Crap!
    He will be a future star in this league!

7. BRockwell

Vinsanity If he stays healthy and works hard he will become what Arvydas Sabonis was in his prime. But there's always the chance that his ankles nag him forever or that like many players over 7'2, he just won't pan out. After Yao though, I doubt teams can afford to be too scared of Shawn Bradleyitis.

pchotsauce Pietrus won't be the player Finely is right away. IMHO he is the mav's mvp. It seems like with all the depth they have that everyone is expendable, but I think Dallas would struggle to win more than 50 games without finley.

8. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

9. Sofaklis Schortsianides, C, Greece- A real bruiser whose stock depends on how he measures up, 6-10, 287 but some teams claim he's more like 6-8. If he's any smaller than 6-10 then I really don't see what he has to offer that the american post players don't. He doesn't do anything better than Sweetney or David West, except be bigger. His stock is dependant on the tale of the tape. 10-15th if he measures up, around 20 if he doesn't.

I think this guy is going to be a good pro.

9. BRockwell

Any reason for that Shapecity? Or just a hunch?

10. knicks235

knicks235 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "shapecity":</div><div class="quote_post">9. Sofaklis Schortsianides, C, Greece- A real bruiser whose stock depends on how he measures up, 6-10, 287 but some teams claim he's more like 6-8. If he's any smaller than 6-10 then I really don't see what he has to offer that the american post players don't. He doesn't do anything better than Sweetney or David West, except be bigger. His stock is dependant on the tale of the tape. 10-15th if he measures up, around 20 if he doesn't.

I think this guy is going to be a good pro.</div>

i really hope he turns up a knick

11. Gee_Dupe11

Gee_Dupe11 JBB JustBBall Member

we really looks like a Big Ben to me then a Shaq

12. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "vinsanity03":</div><div class="quote_post"><div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">4. Pavel Podkolzin, C, Russia- He's absolutely huge. 7'4, 330lbs and only 18! He has an incredible amount of athletic ability for a kid someone his size. Has good handles and a sweet, sweet shot for a 5 and occasionally tries to play like he's 6'4. Tough to get a read on him b/c he's project. Doesn't use his size or defend well in the post. He's probably 3 years away but he has the most upside of anyone outside the Big '3' in this years draft. Has major buyout issues (10 million dollars right now, means he's almost HAVE to stay in Europe for at least one year). Also has a bit of ankle trouble. His upside may only be exceeded by small, nagging problems. 10-15th overall
    </div>

two words. Holy Crap!
    He will be a future star in this league!</div>

This isn't that true. Height isn't everything. There is a man named Slavko Vranes from Slovenia who is 7-6. He recently entered this draft, but he might not even get picked. What he forgot to mention about Pavel was that he has terrible ankles and skinny legs. This could present vast future problems and career ending injuries. If I were a GM I would pass on Pavel come draft time.

13. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "Rocko220":</div><div class="quote_post">Here's my list and short notes of who I consider to be the top international prospects:
    If anyone is curious about these borderline 1st round picks, just ask and I'll tell you what I know/think about them. </div>Ok, I have a quesion about Slavko Vranes. He is very unathletic, doesn't have much of an outside game, he can't shoot very well, he has horrific timing, and he can't block or crash boards like someone who is seven foot six should. Why do you think that he will be a borderline first rounder when most sources think that he will not get drafted?

14. sunsfan1357

sunsfan1357 JBB JustBBall Member

Pavel's ankles are softer than Charmin.

15. BRockwell

Spartanfan It is true that he doesn't block shots or rebound as well as he should for a 7'6 guy. However, if he was a 6'9 guy, his shot-blocking and rebounding would be good. In my mind, this means he's a good shot-blocker and a good rebounder, but not a great one.

And like you said, he doesn't have much of an outside game, but who cares? He's 7'6, he doesn't need to play outside, he's a center and just because he's from Europe that doesn't mean he has to be shoot 3's like Peja to be any good.

Also, to say he is very unathletic is just wrong. At 7'6 he's built about like Yao Ming, but is much faster up and down the court. His footwork probably isn't up to Yao's but he's only 18 and if he works at it, he'll be every bit as nimble as Yao by 20.

It would not be out of reach for Dallas or Sacremento to draft him late in the first round. They aren't going to draft anyone who is going to help a championship caliber team picking in the late 20's. Why not draft a project like Vranes, let him develop against good competition for 2 years and bring him over when his skills are like a top lottery pick?

Even if they stash him for 3 years, he'll only be 21 and he'll have a polished game. If he pulls out of the draft and continues to develop he's a lottery pick in 2 years. If I'm Dallas, picking last in the first round, I'd rather have a player like Vranes stashed away than drafting someone to rot on the bench all year long.

So if Vranes stays in the draft, I think there's a realistic chance he goes late in the first round. At worst he goes early in the second round, if he stays in the draft.

That's why he seemed to fit into the borderline group. IMHO, of course.

16. Voodoo Child

Rocko, Slavko may have a good upside, but as for now he is still a work in progress. He is very easily picked off and his game is very predictable. He is very weak, and will probably be thrown around like a ragdoll. This year's draft will be a deep one. You never know, you might draft a future star in the late first round like Ndudi Ebi, Kendrick Perkins, Carlos Delfino, or Mario Austin. I would rather have any of those guys and a long list of others over Vranes and I am positive that most GM's and advisors would too. The highest that I see Vranes going is in the middle to early second.

17. BRockwell

He's stronger than you think, (He was serious martial arts student for years before he quit to commit to basketball).

The reason why I'd rather have a project like Vranes over a project like Kendrick Perkins is that Vranes wouldn't take up a roster slot. Perkins would sit on the bench all year and won't develop nearly as quikcly as Vranes will playing against the top European pros.

If Perkins is taken in the first round, he'll be a rich, under-developed kid whose been hurt by languising on the bench 82 nights a season in 3 years ( the length of a rookie contract).

Vranes will play every night against professional players and has a chance to be a leader on one of Europe's top teams. After three years he could have the look of a top-5 pick.

Perkins (or any other american player) won't have that oppertunity b/c he's skipping college (or doesn't have college eligibility).

Also, none of the players mentioned have the upside that the 7'6 Vranes has, and since he has a superior oppertunity to develop (in addition to the fact that he wouldn't eat up a roster spot or cost them first round money), I think he's a better pick.

A more developed player like Mario Austin might have immeadiate impact on a poor team, but not any of the teams picking in the late 20's/early thirties where I've projected Vranes to go.

The idea is that a top team probably won't find an impact player at the bottom of the first round, so why not draft a player who can be developed for free, and then have a lottery-pick impact in a couple of years?

18. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "Rocko220":</div><div class="quote_post">He's stronger than you think, (He was serious martial arts student for years before he quit to commit to basketball).

The reason why I'd rather have a project like Vranes over a project like Kendrick Perkins is that Vranes wouldn't take up a roster slot. Perkins would sit on the bench all year and won't develop nearly as quikcly as Vranes will playing against the top European pros.

If Perkins is taken in the first round, he'll be a rich, under-developed kid whose been hurt by languising on the bench 82 nights a season in 3 years ( the length of a rookie contract).

Vranes will play every night against professional players and has a chance to be a leader on one of Europe's top teams. After three years he could have the look of a top-5 pick.

Perkins (or any other american player) won't have that oppertunity b/c he's skipping college (or doesn't have college eligibility).

Also, none of the players mentioned have the upside that the 7'6 Vranes has, and since he has a superior oppertunity to develop (in addition to the fact that he wouldn't eat up a roster spot or cost them first round money), I think he's a better pick.

A more developed player like Mario Austin might have immeadiate impact on a poor team, but not any of the teams picking in the late 20's/early thirties where I've projected Vranes to go.

The idea is that a top team probably won't find an impact player at the bottom of the first round, so why not draft a player who can be developed for free, and then have a lottery-pick impact in a couple of years?</div>Some teams might need an immediate impact from guys like West or Austin at the Power Forward spot though. Some teams can't really wait three years on a guy and then have him not turn out. I am not buying on his strength either. He is really lean in his upper body.

19. BRockwell

ok, this is my last post on the subject (Vranes).

obviously if you need an impact player right away, then Vranes would not be a good first round choice. I never tried to say that he would be in that situation.

What I'm saying is that when one of the top 4-5 teams in the league are picking at the bottom of the first round, there's a good chance that one of them will feel like there are no immeadiate impact players left, and might be better off drafting a young, european project. At 18, he has plenty of time to get stronger and better.

I'm not promising he will go somewhere 25-35, but you asked me why he was on my borderline list and I think the logic is quite clear.