The truth behind Gerald Green's missing finger

Discussion in 'Boston Celtics' started by CelticBalla32, Oct 8, 2006.

1. CelticBalla32

CelticBalla32 Basketball is back in Boston

Re: The truth behind Gerald Green's missing finger

http://www.justbball.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39402

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>"He had his mother's class ring on and he caught it on a nail," explained his father, Gerald Sr.

Gerald was attempting to dunk on a Nerf-type hoop in his bedroom.

"They couldn't reattach it," said Gerald Sr. "They had to shave it. That was a long night. It was just a tragic time."

Young Gerald now expertly hides that ring finger on his right hand. He had to get used to playing without the tip of his finger on his shooting hand.

That may be one reason why early in his career Gerald couldn't even make the team. He was cut altogether as a freshman at Dobie High in Houston and the next year was a mid-season addition to the sophomore team.

Mr. Green was hesitant to go into much details.

When asked if the finger injury was the reason his son was cut, he said, "I'll let you put that together. ... It's just the way people perceive you."</div>
    I had to post this because a lot of people, including me, weren't really sure of what happened to Gerald's finger. I heard a couple different stories: on a fan, on a nail, and I think I read somewhere that it happened on a rail (which really makes no sense). But I'm glad I got this cleared up for myself, and I know a lot of you guys here at BBW probably weren't sure either.

It's amazing how pretty his stroke is with this.

2. nba dogmatist

nba dogmatist BBW Member

I remember reading this about a year ago. pretty ironic tho how he was just trying to see how high he could jump.

3. bostonfan23

bostonfan23 BBW Member

Looking forward to the "it must be his half finger!!11!" posts after he has an off shooting game.also, in relation to Gerald, I cannot wait to play Toronto and see GG dunk all over them..I hate the Raptors.

4. bballinyao06

bballinyao06 BBW Elite Member

Wow, I never even knew about this.. Interesting find. But it's pretty good that he can shoot so well despite him missing part of a finger... shows that if he can overcome something like that, he'll definitely overcome any other obstacle in his way just to get where he wants to go.

5. WELCOMEtotheJUNGLE

WELCOMEtotheJUNGLE BBW Elite Member

yeah good find celticballa I had seen pictures of the missing finger but I never really found out why it was missing. That is pretty interesting and quite impressive that he is in the NBA despite missing a finger.

6. Illosophee

Illosophee BBW Elite Member

<span style="font-family:Book Antiqua">Anybody have a close-up picture of Gerald's missing finger?</span>

7. WELCOMEtotheJUNGLE

WELCOMEtotheJUNGLE BBW Elite Member

[​IMG]

8. Trifekta

Trifekta BBW Member

That's crazy. Anyone who can shoot a basketball that well without one of his fingers on his SHOOTING hand is incredible. I know I wouldn't be able to do that. Funny thing is no one knows about this really.

9. CB4allstar

CB4allstar BBW Global Mod Team

Damn..I never noticed he had a missing finger before..That must suck.

10. Trifekta

Trifekta BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CB4AllStar @ Oct 13 2006, 10:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Damn..I never noticed he had a missing finger before..That must suck.</div>It prolly helps for him. :rock:

11. nba dogmatist

nba dogmatist BBW Member

hahaha I remember after that one badass dunk, pape sow gave gerald green the "shocker", basically trying to insult gerald for not having all his fingers.but I'm surprised so many people still don't know about this. very puzzling, I thought that was huge around draft time.

12. Ether-$$

Ether-$$ BBW Member

"it must be his half finger!!11!"

13. CelticBalla32

CelticBalla32 Basketball is back in Boston

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nba dogmatist @ Oct 15 2006, 02:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>hahaha I remember after that one badass dunk, pape sow gave gerald green the "shocker", basically trying to insult gerald for not having all his fingers.

but I'm surprised so many people still don't know about this. very puzzling, I thought that was huge around draft time.</div>
    I'm suprised people didn't know about this either, but LMAO I remember the Pape Sow incodent. What a loser. Pape Sow can make any gesture he wants, but the fact of the matter is that Gerald Green as a high school sophomore is a better basketball player than Sow ever will be.

14. Trifekta

Trifekta BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ether-$$ @ Oct 15 2006, 02:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>"it must be his half finger!!11!"</div>LOL, 'side your a d!ck.

15. nba dogmatist

nba dogmatist BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CelticBalla32 @ Oct 15 2006, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I'm suprised people didn't know about this either, but LMAO I remember the Pape Sow incodent. What a loser. Pape Sow can make any gesture he wants, but the fact of the matter is that Gerald Green as a high school sophomore is a better basketball player than Sow ever will be.</div>hahaha. so true.

16. Illosophee

Illosophee BBW Elite Member

<span style="font-family:Book Antiqua">Pape Sow is lame...</span>

17. Roaming

Roaming Back In Black! erm...in Colour!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bostonfan23 @ Oct 10 2006, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Looking forward to the "it must be his half finger!!11!" posts after he has an off shooting game.also, in relation to Gerald, I cannot wait to play Toronto and see GG dunk all over them..I hate the Raptors.</div>so bostonfan hate us even more now after we kicked your sorry ass'sb4 yall celtic fans jump me yes it was preseason and yes no1 was trying and yes it wasnt even a fair game no starters were playing but I never get to say that with the raptors [​IMG]

18. P0W3RBALLIN

P0W3RBALLIN BBW Elite Member

19. nba dogmatist

nba dogmatist BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RaptorFan#1 @ Oct 15 2006, 11:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>so bostonfan hate us even more now after we kicked your sorry ass'sb4 yall celtic fans jump me yes it was preseason and yes no1 was trying and yes it wasnt even a fair game no starters were playing but I never get to say that with the raptors [​IMG]</div>yeah, you definitely kicked our sorry asses.. in overtime by five. when the celtics have beat toronto 9 out of 12 times in the last three years in the regular season.[​IMG]

20. Roaming

Roaming Back In Black! erm...in Colour!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nba dogmatist @ Oct 16 2006, 06:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>yeah, you definitely kicked our sorry asses.. in overtime by five. when the celtics have beat toronto 9 out of 12 times in the last three years in the regular season.[​IMG]</div>can I have one raptors gloating moment please? [​IMG]