The Voice of College Football, Keith Jackson Had a Visceral Effect on Fans

Discussion in 'College Football' started by truebluefan, Jan 13, 2018.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

[​IMG]
    Keith Jackson, an iconic college football announcer, died Friday at 89.

It was probably on some lazy Saturday afternoon or evening in 1990 when the sound burned itself into my memory. I was in seventh grade, and a Notre Dame linebacker with a previously checkered career was in the midst of an All-America season. He must have been playing on the road, because if he’d been in South Bend, Brent Musburger would have been the one saying his name. Instead, Keith Jackson was calling the game, and when that linebacker made a tackle, Jackson said…

Miiichael Stooooonebreaker.

And there it was.

From that point forward, the quintessence of college football in my mind was Keith Jackson saying the name Michael Stonebreaker as a drumline pounds out a beat between plays. I can’t think of the sport without hearing those two words uttered by that voice. I cover college football for a living, so I think about college football a lot. Consequently, my brain frequently serves up the memory of Keith Jackson identifying a 225-pound middle linebacker from Louisiana playing for a Catholic university in Indiana.

read more https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/01/13/keith-jackson-catchphrases-obit