The Wolves are in the worst possible situation

Discussion in 'Minnesota Timberwolves' started by CelticBalla32, Feb 19, 2007.

1. CelticBalla32

CelticBalla32 Basketball is back in Boston

Call me Captain Obvious if you'd like, but I think this needs to be said. The Wolves are in an absolute HORRIBLE situation and have a bad outlook. Here's why:

1. They don't have the pieces to deal for another star to pair with KG.
    Well, if you can't pair another star with Kevin Garnett, that's a problem of course. Now, your best bet is to do one of two things: deal Garnett and start over or bank on a young superstar. That brings me to my next point...

2. They will have a mid-first round draft pick.
    You don't have the pieces to trade for a star and you aren't in a situation to get yourself a quality young stud to build with. Hmmm.. where does that leave you? To me, that's the worst situation you could be in as an NBA General Manager. No chance to pair your franchise player with another star and you aren't in a position to grab yourself a young star. They are swimming in the pool of mediocrity, something I know a lot about, being a Celtic fan.

3. They don't even currently have a young star.
    Again, no chance to get a star to pair with your current superstar, you don't have a current young stud (Foye will be nice, but he needs time and he won't be a real star), and you aren't in position to get a young stud. You don't have a respectable coach and you don't have a lot of cap space to bring in a good free agent.

So my question to you, especially the few Wolves fans we have here, is this: what do the Wolves do? You are in the worst possible situation right now with the things listed above. My question is why don't they deal Kevin Garnett? They are going to get absolutely NOWHERE. I personally think the Wolves should have fired Kevin McHale a year and a hale ago and I think they need to deal KG and blow it up.

I felt the need to make this post because I feel for you guys more than I feel for myself and my fellow Celtic fans. We at least have one or two players that could be All-Star caliber players in the future and we have 2-3 solid career role players. We also are in line for one of the top picks in the draft, and if we wanted to, we could pull the trigger on a deal that could get us another All-Star talent to pair with Pierce. We can, you guys can't. I'm not rubbing that in my any means, so don't think I came here to do that. This is more of a sympathy post to you loyal Wolves fans going through some horrible times.

2. joemagoo362

joemagoo362 BBW Graphics Team

Thats the kind of sh*t that happens when you keep McHale as your GM. God damn he is a worthless pile.

3. AiRuPtHeRe

AiRuPtHeRe BBW Elite Member

Might as well trade Kevin Garnett to the Celtics.

4. CRaZy_KiCkz

CRaZy_KiCkz BBW Elite Member

uh, what are you talking about? the playoffs is a pretty good situation to be in. atleast they are in there and not on the outskirts. we do have some talent to trade away for a superstar but nothing ever goes through. iverson is a star and we had a chance at him but didnt pull the trigger. also about the young guys, I think the wolves still have McCants!! guy is a beast and can only get beter. foye had really been coming into his own lately, now that he has the starting job. but the trio of McCants, Foye, and Smith is looking pretty good to me right now.

5. CelticBalla32

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CRaZy_KiCkz @ Feb 19 2007, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>uh, what are you talking about? the playoffs is a pretty good situation to be in. atleast they are in there and not on the outskirts. we do have some talent to trade away for a superstar but nothing ever goes through. iverson is a star and we had a chance at him but didnt pull the trigger. also about the young guys, I think the wolves still have McCants!! guy is a beast and can only get beter. foye had really been coming into his own lately, now that he has the starting job. but the trio of McCants, Foye, and Smith is looking pretty good to me right now.</div>
    No, you aren't in a good situation. Best case scenario this year, you grind it out to get the #8 seed (if you even do), then get taken out in the 1st round. Then what do you have? Three mediocre veterans, a mid-round draft pick which doesn't give you all that much to build with, two decent young players in Foye/McCants... then scrubs. Scrubs = Eddie Griffin, Troy Hudson, Marko Jaric, etc. Nothing.

Then what? You go into next year with the same exact situation... that's a horrible place to be. Being a #8 seed and having nothing to work with is terrible. I'm sorry to tell you that, but it's the truth. You can't make a move for a star to pair with KG, you don't have any real young stars to build with, and you don't have a top pick in the draft to get a young stud. You are mediocre, and you guys are getting nowhere fast.

And you said that you do have the pieces to deal for a star, but you just haven't pulled the trigger... no you don't have the pieces, I'm sorry. Randy Foye is somewhat attractive, but then what? You don't have any big expiring deals, you don't have good picks, you don't have any other real young talent, you have average veterans that need the ball in their hands a lot to be effective (Davis/James), and you don't have cap space. You have nothing to work with, and you don't have the picks necessary to build. I'm sorry.

6. ballerman2112

ballerman2112 BBW Elite Member

I dont really think so. They still have one of the best players in the league in KG. If they wanted to, they could trade him for some young talent to rebuild for the future. And they already have Foye and McCants. If the playoffs started today, they would be in the 8th seed, so I dont think they are in THAT bad of shape, but things could be better...

7. CelticBalla32

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ballerman2112 @ Feb 19 2007, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I dont really think so. They still have one of the best players in the league in KG. If they wanted to, they could trade him for some young talent to rebuild for the future.</div>
    That's a "what if." They aren't going to do that, and they haven't done much of anything to try and help KG win in Minnesota. And even if they did trade him.. just like AI.. they wouldn't get full value at all.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>And they already have Foye and McCants. If the playoffs started today, they would be in the 8th seed, so I dont think they are in THAT bad of shape, but things could be better...</div>
    But again... Foye and McCants aren't real good young players to really say "I have a future here!" about. Foye, maybe, but McCants will always be a decent role player who will score points but not all that much else. Then.. again.. they have no top pick to build with, no cap space, no real trading assets, and a GM that is a slum and has done absolutely nothing to help KG win in Minnesota.

They have nothing great going for them in the present and they have no future as of right now. They are going nowhere.

8. ballerman2112

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CelticBalla32 @ Feb 19 2007, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>That's a "what if." They aren't going to do that, and they haven't done much of anything to try and help KG win in Minnesota. And even if they did trade him.. just like AI.. they wouldn't get full value at all.But again... Foye and McCants aren't real good young players to really say "I have a future here!" about. Foye, maybe, but McCants will always be a decent role player who will score points but not all that much else. Then.. again.. they have no top pick to build with, no cap space, no real trading assets, and a GM that is a slum and has done absolutely nothing to help KG win in Minnesota.They have nothing great going for them in the present and they have no future as of right now. They are going nowhere.</div>KG is eventually going to demand a trade, and when he does, I guarantee you that they will get better offers than teams did for AI. KG is one of the best players in the league to build a team around. Although he hasnt had much success in the past in winning, he is a great leader who can do anything on the court.As for their young talent, McCants AND Foye are both good young talents. Both were picked lottery, and if you give McCants some time, he will turn in to a good scorer. Foye is very talented as well. He is a hell of a scorer, and when I saw him play Boston earlier this season, he really impressed me. He had a nice pass to Ricky to end the game....Also, another young talented player that I forgot to mention was Craig Smith. The guy is a hell of a rebounder, and he can finish around the basket. He is undersized for a PF, but he is an amazing offensive rebounder and rebounder in general. I really love him as a player.And for you saying they dont have anybody to trade, that really isnt true. Mike James, Ricky Davis, Mark Blount, and KG are all guys who would be attracted by multiple teams.

9. CelticBalla32

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ballerman2112 @ Feb 19 2007, 08:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>KG is eventually going to demand a trade, and when he does, I guarantee you that they will get better offers than teams did for AI. KG is one of the best players in the league to build a team around. Although he hasnt had much success in the past in winning, he is a great leader who can do anything on the court.

As for their young talent, McCants AND Foye are both good young talents. Both were picked lottery, and if you give McCants some time, he will turn in to a good scorer. Foye is very talented as well. He is a hell of a scorer, and when I saw him play Boston earlier this season, he really impressed me. He had a nice pass to Ricky to end the game....Also, another young talented player that I forgot to mention was Craig Smith. The guy is a hell of a rebounder, and he can finish around the basket. He is undersized for a PF, but he is an amazing offensive rebounder and rebounder in general. I really love him as a player.

And for you saying they dont have anybody to trade, that really isnt true. Mike James, Ricky Davis, Mark Blount, and KG are all guys who would be attracted by multiple teams.</div>
    KG may ask for a trade in the future, but as of right now that hasn't happened, the Wolves are in a horrible situation.

Foye is going to be a good player, sure, but nothing absolutely jaw dropping and not a guy you can say "he's the cornerstone to our franchise" about. And McCants is and will be a good scorer, but nothing more. He's a poor man's Ricky Davis.

Craig Smith is my boy! Reppin Boston College! But come on, his trade value is very low. He's a throw-in.

Mike James' value is not very high. Ricky could be packaged in a decent deal, but Minny doesn't have a sexy expiring contract to go with it, and the Wolves are reluctant to package Foye in a deal. Mark Blount doesn't have much value around the league and he is overpaid. It was hell for the Celtics to get rid of the deal in the first place.

10. Dmoney

Dmoney BBW Elite Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CelticBalla32 @ Feb 19 2007, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>KG may ask for a trade in the future, but as of right now that hasn't happened, the Wolves are in a horrible situation.Foye is going to be a good player, sure, but nothing absolutely jaw dropping and not a guy you can say "he's the cornerstone to our franchise" about. And McCants is and will be a good scorer, but nothing more. He's a poor man's Ricky Davis.Craig Smith is my boy! Reppin Boston College! But come on, his trade value is very low. He's a throw-in.Mike James' value is not very high. Ricky could be packaged in a decent deal, but Minny doesn't have a sexy expiring contract to go with it, and the Wolves are reluctant to package Foye in a deal. Mark Blount doesn't have much value around the league and he is overpaid. It was hell for the Celtics to get rid of the deal in the first place.</div>I agree with CB32, the wolves are not in the best situation in the world, their superstar KG is not getting any younger and the moron GM they have has never done anything to help him besides that one year they got spree and Cassell. The Twolves need sexy expiring contracts they need people like REppin and BCB.

11. playaofthegame

playaofthegame AYO ADRIEN!

I don't think they're in THAT a bad situation at all...of course they are financially and position-wise because they probably are never gonna make the finals in that conference but...........They could run away to the finals if they play their cards right...they just need to get hot at the right time because the NBA is all about momentumthe problem is I don't see them as one of those teams that can get hot and go on a run come playoff time...and plus they're in the west and need to get by the Suns/Mavs/Spurs/Lakers/even the Nuggets are tough once AI and Camby are healthy againI agree with CB32..when Kevin McHale is your manager and you're in that rough of a position where there's a semi-chance you might not make the playoffs and a large chance you won't get a young stud..and you don't have ANY expiring contracts..you're F*cked

12. CelticBalla32

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (playaofthegame @ Feb 19 2007, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I don't think they're in THAT a bad situation at all...of course they are financially and position-wise because they probably are never gonna make the finals in that conference but...........

They could run away to the finals if they play their cards right...they just need to get hot at the right time because the NBA is all about momentum

the problem is I don't see them as one of those teams that can get hot and go on a run come playoff time...and plus they're in the west and need to get by the Suns/Mavs/Spurs/Lakers/even the Nuggets are tough once AI and Camby are healthy again

I agree with CB32..when Kevin McHale is your manager and you're in that rough of a position where there's a semi-chance you might not make the playoffs and a large chance you won't get a young stud..and you don't have ANY expiring contracts..you're F*cked</div>
    The Wolves could make a run for the NBA Finals? :HAHAHA: Please... PLEASE tell me that you are joking. You think they could beat San Antonio, Dallas, Phoenix, a healthy Houston, or Utah in a 7 game series? You've got to be kidding me. I don't think they could take the Lakers or Nuggets either. Also note that if they do indeed even get the #8, which is no guarantee, they'd be playing either Dallas or Phoenix in the FIRST ROUND. I'm sorry playa, but I can't believe you said that bro.

And I know in your next paragraph you said that you don't think that they could get hot, which contradicts what you said above anyhow, but the fact that it was even said just makes me shake my head.

13. playaofthegame

^^ loljust sayingsome teams get hot come playoff time and absolutely explodebut I just went on to say that the wolves aren't that kind of team [​IMG]

14. CelticBalla32

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (playaofthegame @ Feb 19 2007, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>^^ lol

just saying

some teams get hot come playoff time and absolutely explode

but I just went on to say that the wolves aren't that kind of team [​IMG]</div>
    Exactly, which contradicted what you said an inch above. [​IMG] But again, you said it - and that's just wrong lol.

15. playaofthegame

Lil Penny says shut the F*ck up..thats rightbut anyway so this post isn't completely irrelevent to the topic..the Wolves need to deal KG because there is no chance they're gonna win a championship with that squad they have now..might as well just start to rebuild as early as possible

16. ballerman2112

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CelticBalla32 @ Feb 19 2007, 09:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>KG may ask for a trade in the future, but as of right now that hasn't happened, the Wolves are in a horrible situation.Foye is going to be a good player, sure, but nothing absolutely jaw dropping and not a guy you can say "he's the cornerstone to our franchise" about. And McCants is and will be a good scorer, but nothing more. He's a poor man's Ricky Davis.Craig Smith is my boy! Reppin Boston College! But come on, his trade value is very low. He's a throw-in.Mike James' value is not very high. Ricky could be packaged in a decent deal, but Minny doesn't have a sexy expiring contract to go with it, and the Wolves are reluctant to package Foye in a deal. Mark Blount doesn't have much value around the league and he is overpaid. It was hell for the Celtics to get rid of the deal in the first place.</div>Yeah, he hasnt been traded yet, but if he does, they would get alot for him. And if they dont trade him, he isnt to bad of a first option.....He is going to be pretty good for about 5 more years IMO, so I dont think they are too screwed. By that time, Foye is going to be a beast.As for their young players, Foye is going to be a player to get at least 23+ points in his prime. He can really turn on the points when he gets going. McCants coming out of college was rated really high, and I think that he would be having a really good season if it wasnt for his injury. He is a good player, and I expect him to be a good player in a couple years. As for Craig Smith, I dont think they would want to trade him to be honest. He is a hell of a rebounder like I said above, and I actually think he could be a decent player in his prime. He is strong on defense as well, and can finish around the rim. I love the guy too....hahWhen Mike James played in Toronto, he was a pretty damn good scorer. There would be some teams that wouldnt mind having him around. Same with Ricky....And yeah, Marks contract is pretty freaking big. But he has shown pretty good talent as of late, and there isnt exactley a wide selection of centers in the league. Whenever there is a halfway decent center, he always looks good on the market.

17. Roaming

Roaming Back In Black! erm...in Colour!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dmoney @ Feb 19 2007, 08:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I agree with CB32, the wolves are not in the best situation in the world, their superstar KG is not getting any younger and the moron GM they have has never done anything to help him besides that one year they got spree and Cassell. The Twolves need sexy expiring contracts they need people like REppin and BCB.</div>Im sorry, that made no sense.Back on topic: The Wolves are in a weird situation. But I think I have the obvious solution CB32 suggested is to trade KG for draft picks and kind of blow up. I think any team will trade a 5-10 pick for KG, he is a real good player to have in your rotation. If they get lucky, theyll get a solid scorer and maybe two first rounders, I know most GMs would pull the trigger on that deal, even if it involves 3 teams. Then they work from there, the team obviously will have a problem, as they dont have a building block to build off of, but it if they get lucky in the draft, they;ll have a decent one. Expect them not to make much noise for at least 2-3 1/2 years, but they'll come around, just not through KG.

18. joemagoo362

joemagoo362 BBW Graphics Team

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CelticBalla32 @ Feb 19 2007, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>No, you aren't in a good situation. Best case scenario this year, you grind it out to get the #8 seed (if you even do), then get taken out in the 1st round. Then what do you have? Three mediocre veterans, a mid-round draft pick which doesn't give you all that much to build with, two decent young players in Foye/McCants... then scrubs. Scrubs = Eddie Griffin, Troy Hudson, Marko Jaric, etc. Nothing.</div>I think the pick is top 10 protected or else it goes the the Clippers.

19. BigMo763

BigMo763 Active Member

The Wolves have absolutely zero young talent to trade for a superstar... that is what killed them when Iverson asked to be traded. The Sixers were very, very willing to trade with Minnesota (especially if they found a third team), but Minnesota just absolutely refused to part with Foye. They have nothing attractive to offer other than Foye and KG... not even a nice draft pick. They are pretty much stuck.Sure, its nice to be in the playoff hunt, but what good is that doing for you? They are stuck in mediocrity. Best case scenario is that they will make the playoffs, and get knocked out in the first round. Guess what? They don't have a first round pick this year (if they make the playoffs). The Clippers will receive their first round pick (from the Jaric/Cassell deal) assuming Minnesota gets into the playoffs (it's a lottery-protected pick).

20. CelticBalla32

Oh wow, I didn't know that they didn't have a 1st rounder this year. See, that makes it even worse. They have nothing to look forward to. They will have basically the same roster next year unless they blow it up. They need to do it.