Thibs wanted McDermott

Discussion in 'Chicago Bulls' started by _GB, Jun 25, 2015.

1. _GB

_GB Bulls Fan Staff Member Moderator

"The Bulls did what they haven't usually done during Forman's tenure as GM during 2014's draft night -- they made a bold move to move up in the draft and snag sharpshooter Doug McDermott out of Creighton. After all the subsequent moves, the Bulls had doled out two first-round picks and three second-round picks to land the man who earned National Player of the Year honors in his senior season."

"It should be noted that unlike in years past, Thibodeau, his coaching staff and the Bulls' front office, were unified in the belief that McDermott could be an impact player in the league, maybe even in his rookie season."

"The key for the Bulls this year is that with McDermott, Snell and Mirotic all hoping for a larger role under Hoiberg, whomever the organization selects on Thursday is going to have a tough time cracking the rotation."

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bul...-enter-draft-hoping-last-years-move-works-out

2. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    Yeah, that's why Thibs played the hell out of him.

Overuse.

3. _GB

"...McDermott, like many rookies, struggled to pick up the speed of the game as well as hitting open looks when given the chance. The broader issue was that Thibodeau just didn't seem to trust him on the floor defensively."

4. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    "It should be noted that unlike in years past, Thibodeau, his coaching staff and the Bulls' front office, were unified in the belief that McDermott could be an impact player in the league, maybe even in his rookie season."

I think Thibs took the high road when management forced the pick on him. They said they had scouted him for four years.

GarPax like their white players.

5. _GB

Think whatever you want. The article, however, plainly says:

"Thibodeau, his coaching staff and the Bulls' front office, were unified in the belief that McDermott could be an impact player in the league..."

Oh, and yeah, Taj, Rose, Butler, Noah, Snell...oh so white, each and every one of them. Deng too. Definitely Deng.

6. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    I remember him saying a lot of things that sounded like he was parroting the company line.

Even if McMorrison turns out to be a bust, at least the Bulls tried. That's a rare and good thing.

7. _GB

"Thibodeau, his coaching staff and the Bulls' front office, were unified in the belief that McDermott could be an impact player in the league..."

8. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I still think Doug could be a Korveresque type player in time. Fred has to figure out how to use him

9. _GB

I too believe Doug can turn the corner and still be an impactful player in the league.

10. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Yep. He said he wanted McDermott. Like a good employee. If he disagreed, he wasn't going to say so. He didn't say anything publicly about the Bulls taking Teague over Draymond Green.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/..._marquis-teague-tom-thibodeau-twitter-kcjhoop

"The fact he played at Kentucky is a big plus," coach Tom Thibodeau said. "He met every challenge in college. We expect him to do the same here. The first step is getting in the gym, learning the system, working and getting to know his teammates.

"The speed and intensity of the game is different. The rules are different. He has to learn[​IMG] that part. He'll make steady progress. This is a big summer for him."

11. kukoc4ever

kukoc4ever Let's win a ring! Staff Member Moderator

There is a reason that the coaches should coach and the player personel people should do player personel.

Many thought that Dougie wasn't getting playing time because Thibs had some kind of grudge against him or against the front office. If this report is true, that arugment is nixed.

Ultimatley, the front office is responsible for draft picks.

McDermott might end up being a good NBA player. He didn't look like one last year.

12. such sweet thunder

such sweet thunder Member Staff Member Moderator

Thibs never said anything during his tenure for the sake of being a good employee. My general sense of things from draft day last year and his statements afterwards was Thibs was high on the selection, but would have preferred a vet. Regardless, I don't find any value in this chatter, just like I didn't find any value in the Ron Adams chatter. The buck stops with the front office. If Doug is a success it's to their credit, if he fails that's also on them.

_GB likes this.
  13. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    He spoke highly of Kirk and Teague. Seems like that is what a good employee does.

14. _GB

When the reports say he wanted Draymond, do we believe that Thibs really did? Why or why not?

When the reports say he wanted McDermott, do we believe that Thibs really did? Why or why not?

15. kukoc4ever

kukoc4ever Let's win a ring! Staff Member Moderator

What's the point arguing with management about the guy they want to draft?

Isn't that one the reasons that management decided not to bring back NBA Champion assistant coach Ron Adams? The "smart" Warriors sure liked him a lot. They just won a championship with him.

The 11th pick in the draft is often a non-impact player. The expectations of getting one from that spot seemed too high.

NBA Champion Ron Adams was flat out quoted that they wanted Draymond Green. Is anyone calling NBA Champion Ron Adams a liar?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  16. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    When the reports say he wanted Draymond Green but they didn't draft him, it's a pretty big clue they had no interest in drafting who Thibs wanted.

He said the same kinds of nice things about Teague as he did about McDermott.

17. _GB

Insanity.

18. transplant

transplant Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Ahh, the sweet voice of reason.

19. _GB

He expresses interest in a Van Gundy-style gig.

"I have no regrets," Thibodeau said after the first day of USA Basketball's minicamp. "I have no regrets. Every year you look at what you did. You try to analyze the things you did well, the things that you'd like to improve upon. I think you always want to try and get better; you never want to stay the same. From that standpoint, I don't think I'll change. I thought I learned each year I was there, and I'm looking forward to whatever comes next."

Thibodeau, who compiled a 255-139 regular-season record during his time with the Bulls, was reflective as he answered questions from the media.

"It was a great run," Thibodeau said. "I had a great staff. I enjoyed them. The players were terrific. My whole experience there was great. In pro sports, [getting fired] happens. You move on. You look back and I'd rather reflect on the positives than think about any negatives, because the good far outweighed any bad. ... I'm very proud of what we accomplished. To win the games that we did, to deal with the adversity that we did. We dealt with [point guard] Derrick [Rose] and his injuries. We survived that; we lost players along the way. But we always found a way to compete, and I'm very proud of that. I thought we had a great group of guys."
    -
    "I have no reaction to that," Thibodeau said of Reinsdorf's statement. "My experience there was great. I appreciated all that the players did for me. I appreciate the opportunity that Jerry gave me. I'm moving on, they're moving on. I wish them well. I think if they're healthy they could have a great season next year, and I hope they do because of the closeness I have to all the players that are still there."

When asked if he was surprised by the decision the Bulls made to fire him, Thibodeau responded by saying, "I'm never surprised by anything."

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/stor...-coach-tom-thibodeau-no-regrets-coaching-team

20. such sweet thunder

such sweet thunder Member Staff Member Moderator

I'm into the idea of Thibodeau announcing. Seems like it's also the best way for an ex coach to keep himself in the running for head coaching gigs.