Bogus! This new 3 Guard Lineup....

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Orion Bailey, Apr 11, 2021.

?

Can a team win it all with a three guard line up?

1. Yes

2. No

3. Depends(Explain)

4. Yes, but not with our guard linup

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Is Bogus!

Yes the game has evolved into a faster shooting style game, where guards have never been more important. So I get wanting 3 star guards(can Powell be a star?)

But does that mean they need to play together in the 1-3 spots?

After watching last nights game and seeing Powell and Dame stand next to each other, he is not any taller.

For years we have been saying that we may need a bigger SG to put next to Dame. Instead Terry puts another small guy next to them.

This isn't going to be sustainable.

This is a picture on the page referencing an article stating the best 25 SF in history.

Look at these players. Recognize them? Based on this picture, Id say the average height is 6'8. Not 6'3.

[​IMG]
    https://fadeawayworld.net/2020/06/24/ranking-the-top-25-greatest-small-forwards-of-all-time/
    How many of those guys have won one, if not, multiple titles?

https://www.fantasybasketball101.com/nba-average-height/
    "What is the average height in the NBA for small forwards?
    Small forwards are pretty much the ultimate average NBA player. In the modern era, small forwards’ heights are typically 6-foot-7, with the tallest recorded in the 2014-15 season at 6’8″ flat. Unsurprisingly, small forwards started out at 6-foot-4 in the 60s and improved over the years."

Small forwards STARTED OUT as 6'4" and have gotten bigger over the years, yet we want to go with a guy who is shorter than when the position started out as??????

As a fan who knows it takes time to build comfort-ability and cohesiveness, what is the point of waste time trying to make this work only to have to change it all up when the playoffs come, so then people are out of their comfort zone when needed to perform at their best?

I think this is by far the worst coaching mistake we have seen thus far with Stotts and to me its unforgivable. This is simply wasting extremely valuable time.
    I saw someone mention putting Little next to Dame, but then still have Powell at the 3?

I simply don't see a rotation where we can trot out a 6'3" sf and win in the playoffs.

I am extremely frustrated with this decision and think it is going to be the downfall of this team and will push the rebuild over the edge. Dame is obviously getting frustrated, but is also in a comfort zone few players get to in the NBA, so i'm sure he is very concerned about change being for the worse.

I know this post comes after a win, but I see way too many flaws in having a three guard line up with the tallest guy being 6'4.

What do you think about this three guard lineup? Is it sustainable?

Darkwebs and stampedehero like this.
  2. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

The fact is if Michael Jordan were starting next to Dame and CJ... it wouldn't be considered a three guard lineup because MJ was big enough to be considered an actual small forward. So in order to have what is considered a three guard lineup it needs to be guys that are as small as what we have and that doesn't work. Some have referenced the Bad Boy Pistons with Thomas, Dumars and Johnson but Johnson never started for them... they had actual forwards starting. Johnson was never even their sixth leading minutes getter, he was just their third guard in a three guard rotation.

No, you cannot be a contender with three guys playing starters minutes with this little of size and haven't been able to for over four decades.

3. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

No. You can't win a title with a small 3 guard line-up. And especially not in a small market.

4. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Yes of course a team can win it all with a 3 guard lineup. It's not like you do it all game long. It's all comes down to matchups.

Whether you start with 3 guards or you finish with 3 guards will depend on the opposition and the game situation. There are 96 minutes combined for both guard positions. So you really only need to play Norman at the small forward position for about 4 1/2 minutes per half if you go with the 3 guard rotation. (and it would still get them all 35 minutes per game)

Keep in mind that NP weighs more than both Jones and Covington. So even if they are a few inches longer, it will only be a factor against certain SFs. I would gladly give up a few inches in the wingspan department to get an extra shooter and ball-handler in the lineup. Again depending on the matchups.

Having said all that my preference for next year would be to bring them all back and start Dame, NP, and Little, while using CJ off the bench as our 6th man. Nassir should be ready by then to start and CJ will get his 30+ minutes regardless. But even then does it really make a difference who starts and who comes off the bench if they are all getting their minutes?

UKRAINEFAN likes this.
  5. royo

royo Well-Known Member

On this occasion I can write this again: This guy is typical Play Station NBA player. I remember playing NBA Live with my friends, when I used 3 guards lineup a lot. The idea behind was simple. Have my best 3point shooters in S5 and fire 3s all night long.

Of course, it would backfire on the other end, but I didn't use any defensive schemes anyways. I was just trying to still the ball on one on one defense and that's it.

What else... If I had this 3guard 3point shooters lineup in use, I did never care about what team I play with. I never checked other team rotation. I trusted in my brilliant, novel idea of using as much 3point shooters without basically doing nothing else.

Main thing is, it was very shallow and lazy thinking. To use this "tactic" I didn't even have to know all the buttons.

And funniest part here. It worked well, when I played weak ass friends and it seemed to work with guys on my level of recognition of the buttons on the pad. Of course better players, that used buttons combinations (like alley oops, pivots and tricks) kicked my ass badly.

It was 20 years ago.

So, there's that. Answer is, it's not gonna win even second round without 60% 3point shooting games on the way. Thank you and goodnight.

6. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Blazers need to bring Powell off the bench.

BigGameDamian likes this.
  7. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    But Stotts is a head coach in the NBA, so he is smarter than anyone who would disagree with him or even dare question what he does.

~Ter-Bear Apologist

AmirIcon and brooklynballer like this.
  8. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

CJ off the bench would be more ideal but this isn't NBA2K. We can't forget that it's a players league.

9. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Yep. Time and a place. But not every game every time.
    I think Stotts is tinkering around with it and plugging Little into spots. I think (Maybe i should say HOPE) the coaches are taking notes and watching tons of film dissecting what is working and what isn't.
    They also need Nurk back 100% and healthy. That would help a bunch. This minutes restriction thing is getting in the way of him not only getting into better shape but learning to play as a team again.

Pinwheel1 likes this.
  10. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    Offseason priorities:
    Sign Powell, then have him come off the bench next year (ditching the 3-guard lineup AS STARTERS)
    Fire Stotts
    Don't re-sign Melo

I really like what Neil has been doing lately, but he still could easily go 0-3 on these...

AmirIcon likes this.
  11. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

What's the most amount of money you'd be willing to give to Powell as our backup?

12. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    Right now, under $20 mil/year. But, I'll take a long look at the cap situation in the offseason.

Tince likes this.
  13. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

I'd give him ~$22/yr as the starting SG

Tince and TBpup like this.
  14. kjironman1

I'll take it a step further. It all depends on how this season works out.
    If this team gels and starts playing at the level i feel they should be able to. That means stays in the playoffs without having to go through the play-in and then performs respectably in the playoffs. You will see much of the same unless the team is sold and then you might see huge changes? Not sure Powell is part of that scenario?
    The other option is this team never really gets it going and they barely make the playoffs or even miss them. If that happens you again will see huge changes. In my mind (Remember I'm just an idiot that posts on a message board) i think CJ's days here are over. Powell stays and CJ is traded giving the Blazers more flexibility and a possible upgrade at the 3 while being able to afford Powell.
    In both of the major changes scenario Terry Stotts will retire or be fired or both? The next 20 games will tell the story pretty much. Hopefully it will be more like 40 games? I get the feeling the team knows this.

Tince likes this.
  15. RoseCityRebel

RoseCityRebel Well-Known Member

Mercenary
    Stotts is stubborn and won’t change!

Stotts is stupid for trying to start three guards!

Same posters.

STOMP and Tince like this.
  16. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    My offseason priority would be to re-sign Powell as the starting two and trade McCollum for a good small forward, one that has an interesting mix of offensive contribution and defensive versatility. Not necessarily a star, as I don't think McCollum will bring back a star wing, but a good two-way wing.

Also to see if there are any takers in trade for Nurkic and work on getting a more switchable center who can at least be a lob threat. If he can shoot, too, that would be great but that's starting to push the limits of what's realistic.

It's time to start trying to make this roster actually fit the times, rather than having ill-fitting pieces that seem good in a vacuum.

STOMP, mook and Wizard Mentor like this.
  17. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    Yes...It seems like all three of those statements are true. Well done. :cheers:

UKRAINEFAN, Titan and brooklynballer like this.
  18. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Tince and RoseCityRebel like this.
  19. AmirIcon

AmirIcon Well-Known Member

Writer, Director, Actor
    Just start Nassir Little and be done with it.

brooklynballer and TBpup like this.
  20. kjironman1

Go with Powell and DJJ in the second unit? Could work well?