This team is in transition mode

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by cagedlion, Sep 23, 2017.

1. cagedlion

cagedlion "I am the problem, and I am the solution."

There will be more changes with this team. As Pittsburgh continues its winning ways, the Rangers'
    names will also continue to change. I do not expect to see McDonagh, Nash, Staal, to name a few,
    to remain in Ranger red, white and blue.

2. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

I think they'll eventually re-sign McDonagh. Nash if he comes back at half of what he makes could sign for a few years. Staal will be gone one way or another after the year.

3. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

Nieves was 3 for 11 on draws last night. If he can't win faceoffs, he's c0mpletely useless. Fontaine was 3 of 6 which is bad for him. Like I said though. He will be our future 4th line center. Andersson was 9 for 13 on draws. Added an assist. Still say the kid makes the team. AV doesn't want to use Miller at center.

Graves has to make this team. I have little to any interest in seeing Staal play one game on this team this year. Holden should have been moved for picks a long time ago. I want to see at least 2 rookies make the defense. Especially since I don't see the Rangers having the cap space to sign McDonagh. I see him being dealt next year for a top 5 pick.

4. Ranger71

Bereglazov was sent to Hartford already which is no surprise as he looks to need time to adjust. Hopefully he understands and dosen't jet back to Russia. Andersson has looked ok but at times seems a bit stiff and you can see his age. It'll probably come down to he and Nieves, though Desharnais dosen't move the needle much. Graves, Pionk and DA have all looked pretty good so it'll be interesting to see how it shakes out. I'd guess Pionk makes it with Staal and Holden gets waived/dealt/AHL.

5. kreidertime

Andersson dominated on draws last night. I see him making the team. Best young defenseman by a miles was Graves. Best 4th line center by a lot was Fontaine. Both will be banished by moron AV. AV will then be fired at the end of this season. Ruff who values toughness will take over. A new era will begin.

6. RangersFan

RangersFan Well-Known Member

Thing that concerns me the most as we head into the season is Hank. I don't know what to expect from him. He needs to be better than he was for most of last season, and the Ottawa series. Big ask at his age.

I know I don't have the same feeling of comfort knowing Hank is in goal. I am now feeling uneasy when the puck is in our zone and not confident Hank will make the saves he needs to make. Even the goal last night I was like Hank used to stop that easy when I saw the replay.

So to me that is my biggest concern. Sure we need a C, but truth is I think we can add that guy during the season. I also think we still have good depth up front, so I have faith in that. The D is clearly improved as well. So will we see a solid Hank, or will things trend downward. I think that will tell us where this team will go. If we don't see solid Hank I think we could have a long season.

7. Ranger71

I didn't realize Fontaine was as big as he is, for some reason i was thinking he was a smaller Gaudreau type. Graves has looked very solid and has some snarl to his game.

8. kreidertime

Fontaine is one of those guys our fan base is lost on. This guy is clutch. He's a winner. He can do anything a coach asks him to do.

9. cagedlion

Hank is in the twilight of his career. The way management is constructing this team, goaltending
    looks to be average at best. Pavelec is not the best back up. Have little confidence in him. Team will
    miss Raanta & Talbot on the now powerful Oiler team.

I think scoring will be like scrounging for that needle in the haystack. I am not sure if Kreider, Miller,
    Buchnevich, Hayes, Vesey & Zibanejad can take their game to the next level. If not, yep, it will be a
    long season. As is, this team will have a tough time making the playoffs.

10. Ranger71

I think they're a solid WC team but it will probably come down to the last few weeks.

11. cagedlion

^^^^^they will have to win against the Devils & Islanders who are always up for the Rangers......they must win
    six of these games........to be a WC, and God forbid they lose to the Vegas Golden Knights
    this year.

12. RangersFan

I actually like the team IF the goalie play is solid. I think they will battle for 2nd/3rd in the Met if that is the case. If the goalie play is shaky they won't make the playoffs. That's how I see it.

13. mrmel29

mrmel29 Well-Known Member

I like how we look going into the season. The key to me is how AV plays his last remaining pet mark staal. If its limited 3rd pair minutes or a lot of press box good, if its still gonna be 20 plus a night the defense will suck again. Would like to see Graves make the team and play but don't see how with staal in his way. Really hope Chytil makes this team. Kid has the talent to do so.

14. RangersFan

I really like this Chytil kid. I think he not only starts the season with the big club, but he is in the top 9. Kid is going to be a real good player.

Andersson will be a very solid, heady two-way player. Chytil I think has a higher offensive upside to be a top 6 scoring C down the line.

15. strudwickisthebest

strudwickisthebest Well-Known Member

Andersson and Chytil should both start the season on the team

16. cagedlion

Look what a mini winning streak can do? Impressed with J.T.Miller’s aggressiveness & determination.
    Really coming through as a much needed Centerman. Just hoping AV keeps the reins off of him.

17. kreidertime

Said it for weeks. Rangers should trade and bring back Lindberg. He has 5 g, 0 A in 16 games there. They aren't even playing him at center and letting him take draws. He's completely being misused there. They should have taken Holden in the first place. He would fit in well there. Holden, Carey and Fogarty for Lindberg and a 4th. Something like that.