Thoughts of a Cavs fan

Discussion in 'Cleveland Cavaliers' started by bbwchingy0007, Jul 11, 2010.

1. bbwchingy0007

bbwchingy0007 BBW Member

Obviously for every Cavs fan these past few days have been very difficult to take, but having had a couple of days to digest it all, I think that it's worth trying to say what I feel to try to conjure up some more (if that were needed) discussion on the events.

Firstly, I am not upset with LeBron for choosing the Miami Heat. Ever since he signed his contract with the ETO he's always said he wants to go to where he has the best chance of winning titles. Yes the Cavs have tried their best to build a team capable of winning Championships, but on Thursday 1 July 2010 the team in the running for LeBron that had the best Dynasty-potential was the Miami Heat. For that I respect LeBron's honesty. All along he's said he wants to win, and he's done that. Had he gone to the Knicks, I would have been viciously upset because it would have shown that he was lying all along. At least he was being honest and stayed true to his word.

Secondly, I am terribly angry with him for the manner in which he announced his decision. No city has experienced the heartbreak of Cleveland, and as an Ohio-native he really ought to understand that. The Shot. The Fumble... and now The Decision. National TV? Prime time? Really LeBron? Did you have to do the fans who have experienced every emotion under the Sun like that? You ought to have more respect for the fans who treated you like a God, let alone a King, for the past 7 years (and more, really). A national TV hour to proclaim your loyalty to your hometown team would be honourable. To rip the soul out of a city like Cleveland over the course of an hour with years of tense build up is despicable, and the act of a self-obsessed pre-madonna with no sense of empathy. I don't think anyone has managed to go from so loved to so hated in an instand, but he's managed it.

Thirdly, I don't think Dan Gilbert has acted that much better, although it could also be construed as a very good way of channeling fan anger into huge support for the team, which could potentially reduce the drop in revenues at the same time. I think what he's really annoyed about is that the team was given no warning which meant they were unable to compete for free agents prior to July 1 because they were still in limbo with LeBron, another example of a lack of empathy/care by LeBron for the Cavaliers.

Fourthly, there is one player I want to desert Cleveland. I want Zydrunas Ilgauskas to go to the Miami Heat. That might seem strange, but I think that he really deserves a shot at a title for his years of loyalty to the Cavs. I really wish that Dan Gilbert was in a position to offer him a true shot a title this year, but he's not. So I want Ilgauskas to go somewhere where he can get a title this year. Actually, I want him to go to the Lakers (won't happen). That was LeBron doesn't have to win a title in order to get Z his.

Fifthly, with a couple of shrewd moves, the future could still be relatively bright for the Cavs. JJ Hickson should get a much more prominent role, and I think he is capable of being a very good second/third player on a contending team in the future. A willingness to take on salary (the Cavs now have a massive trade exception) combined with a new found drive fueled by anger to do well, and maybe trading Mo Williams and Delonte West and possibly Antawn Jamison could eventually provide a good young nucleus to build around.

Finally, the Cavs really need to decide on a direction to go for this team. They are at a definite crossroads where they could spend the next decade in mid level obscurity (battling for the last few playoff spots every year), or could gamble with some bold moves to hopefully get back to perennial contendership. From a business perspective, perhaps the first is the best option, but given Dan Gilbert's letter to the fans, I think they might go down the second road. Which is good. The next few years will still be interesting for Cleveland, but not for the same reasons as the past few.

2. ¹²³

¹²³ ¼½¾

Great post. Thanks for sharing. Some very interesting points.

3. Mr.Gunner

Mr.Gunner Member

Well if Mr. Gilbert guaranteed the Cavs would win a tittle first than Lebron and Co., I'm thinking he's looking to invest into the team or at least that's the message he's sending out. I'm sure Gilbert acted out of rage and wrote that letter in the heat of the moment, but he was spot on. Even me as a Laker fan, LA local, I felt bad for the Clevelanders, made me wanna rip his head off for being a jerk on Tv. But notice how he tried to appease or fool the cleveland fans by saying at the end that the proceeds of the show were going to charity, when he clearly just tried to grab the attention of the whole nation, but failed and only managed to look like a total Scumbag.

4. huevonkiller

huevonkiller Change (Deftones)

Student.
  5. Master Shake

Master Shake young phoenix

I'm sorry, I think the Cavs wil suck major dick without LBJ. Tell me they even come CLOSE to 60 wins without him, someone bet me a million they will. They aren't even gonna break 45 wins, they are lucky the East sucks.

I see no real upside to this team in the immediate future. They were a bunch of average players around a superstar and they didn't win, now without him they will? Mo Williams will not be an all-star and you will truly see how shitty Jamario Moon is. I can't see how Jamison provides much after a couple of years. I doubt he plays any more full season and hopefully Delonte West pans out, but giving him more shots may not be the right direction to go.

Call me a hater man, but I just call myself a truth recognizer.