Thread Of History Ties Warriors, City

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Rudeezy, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Al Attles remembers the night in 1966 when the San Francisco Warriors unveiled their revolutionary jersey to a New York audience.

"Guys were afraid to take their warm-up jackets off," Attles said. "I don't think anybody was afraid, but nobody wanted to be booed."

What would New York, known as the city everywhere but in San Francisco, think of his team's new uniform, the one with "The City" presumptuously emblazoned above a likeness of the Golden Gate Bridge?

"Myself, I wanted Baghdad by the Bay," forward Tom Meschery said.

But for owner Franklin Mieuli, this was no joke.

"They laughed when the Yankees first wore pinstripes," Mieuli said at the time.

But they won't laugh tonight when the Warriors break out replicas of those 1966-67 uniforms for the third time this season, against visiting Utah in one of the NBA's Hardwood Classics nights.

Mieuli, who made his fortune in billboard advertising, designed the uniforms that broke the NBA's stuffy tradition of simply stitching a city's name and player's number across the front.

Inspired by singer Tony Bennett's tribute to San Francisco, Mieuli conjured up a creation that included cable cars climbing, up his players' backbones, halfway to the stars.

"The whistle blows, and still nobody wanted to take them off," said Attles, then a veteran guard and now a Warriors executive. "The referees finally told us to take them off so we could start the game."

Slowly, the Warriors took off their jackets, and the reaction wasn't what Attles expected.

"People went wild," Attles said. "It was one of the greatest things. We almost got a standing ovation." </div>

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=knig...night&type=lgns
    =============================

Which city is The City?[​IMG]