Through the Fire.....Sebastian Telfair

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Really Lost One, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Really Lost One

Really Lost One Suspended

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Sebastian Telfair finally made it to Louisville yesterday. He stars in "Through the Fire," which is playing at Showcase Stonybrook.

Talk about perfect casting. Telfair plays Sebastian Telfair, a high school basketball prodigy from New York City who has no intention of attending the University of Louisville but acts as if he does because filmmaker Jonathan Hock is building a documentary about Telfair's decision to attend college or turn pro.

Hmmm. The only way to create two seconds of drama is to have Telfair pretend he is interested in playing for Rick Pitino.

Two years ago many people were fooled. There is cinematic evidence of the Cardinal coaches and fan base embracing the Tel-fairy tale. Louisville Gardens was packed for a game Telfair and his Lincoln High teammates played against Pleasure Ridge Park. Telfair was cheered as if he were Darrell Griffith.

There has been real-life evidence of the Telfair folly all season as the Cardinals have staggered though Big East play with a gap at point guard that another Class of 2004 recruit could have filled.

A predictable ending

<font color=""Red"">You won't be fooled if you watch this 103-minute documentary, which you can see for nothing if you wait until ESPN airs it March 12.</font>

Save your money. You know the ending. This documentary will only make you more cynical about the never-ending process of identifying The Next Great Thing and blowing him up into the Next Michael, Next Kobe, Next LeBron.

In a season and a half in the National Basketball Association, Telfair hasn't shown anybody he can be as transcendent as those guys.

This season he's averaging 8.8 points per game for Portland, an increase of two points from 2005. But he carries the same hole in his jumper that made him bristle when folks questioned him in high school. His shooting percentage is down from 39.3 to 35.7.

But this isn't about just basketball. With Sebastian Telfair it never has been.

It's about image, celebrity and moving product. It's about The Con.

And Telfair has always been better at The Con than he has been with the 18-footer.

Pay attention. Early in the film he jokes about how his younger brother, Ethan, will be the first eighth-grader to jump directly to the NBA -- for $100 million. If you follow the money, you quickly realize the brother who ensured that Telfair would never play with Taquan Dean was Telfair's older half brother, Jamel Thomas.

Shattered dream
    Thomas played at Providence College and led the Big East in scoring in 1999. He's the one whose heart was broken when he wasn't selected in the NBA draft because he had a forward's game trapped in a guard's body.

That wasn't going to happen to Telfair. Not with Jay-Z, Spike Lee and Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter attending his games. Not with adidas primed to distribute T-shirts at the news conference where Telfair announced his "decision" to attend U of L.

Not when academics are missing from the entire documentary. Not with Thomas comparing his little brother to Tiger Woods and telling him to avoid tattoos because they will hurt his image.

His image will take a bump with this documentary. Watch Telfair drive a sports car as he goes to pick up some must-have cuff links and debates the NBA or Louisville.

See Telfair complain when a live interview with ESPN that is supposed to be about the McDonald's All-Star game morphs into questions that expose the shakiness of his commitment to U of L.

"Through The Fire" convinced me that Sebastian Telfair did the right thing by going directly to the NBA. Not that there was ever any doubt about i
    </div>

link: http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.d...463/1002/SPORTS

[​IMG]

2. Apollo

Apollo JBB Into The Fire

Anybody know what time it is in the East?

3. Really Lost One

not sure what time its on, but i bet it will tell you on espn

4. SP23

SP23 DA BEARS!

Can't wait to watch this. For some reason I love movies about stories on NBA/ any pro atlethes. Like Beyond the Glory, etc.

5. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting The Soft Parade:</div><div class="quote_post">Anybody know what time it is in the East?</div>
    8 eastern time, 5 in the west.

6. dtpxcore

dtpxcore JBB The Regulator

Nice Sig SP23, and the doc was tight so inspiring

7. SP23

SP23 DA BEARS!

During the preview, is it Bassy that is singing?

8. NYCfinest123

NYCfinest123 JBB JustBBall Member

he was a monster in high school, dropped typical 30 something pts on my school in the city championships, but he didnt get the mvp though

9. NJNetz

NJNetz BBW Banned

God I missed it. Anybody know if they are going to show it again, during the week?

10. jbbSpursFan10

jbbSpursFan10 JBB Go Spurs! Go Rebels!

ESPN, Sun Mar 12 11:30pm CST, ESPN2, Fri Mar 17 02:00am CST, ESPN, Sat Mar 18 02:00am CST, ESPN2, Mon Mar 20 03:00pm CST... I bet you could rent it or buy it somewhere. It looks like you won't catch it.

11. NJNetz

NJNetz BBW Banned

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting SpursFan10:</div><div class="quote_post">ESPN, Sun Mar 12 11:30pm CST, ESPN2, Fri Mar 17 02:00am CST, ESPN, Sat Mar 18 02:00am CST, ESPN2, Mon Mar 20 03:00pm CST... I bet you could rent it or buy it somewhere. It looks like you won't catch it.</div>

Thanks , I'll figure something out.

12. NYCfinest123

NYCfinest123 JBB JustBBall Member

great movie, so many great players out of new york city, and he kept saying im going to louiville all the way until may he decided to enter the draft

13. playmaker15

playmaker15 JBB Droppin Dimes

great movie I really liked the story he was really somthing in HS

14. SP23

SP23 DA BEARS!

That is pretty wierd though, how it happens to a couple of players... Like his brother, lead the Big East in scoring, and then was sopposed to go 10-15 in the first and went undrafted. Greg Anthony even said in the video that it would be a steal to pick up Thomas in the 2nd round.

BTW does anyone know why Telfair's brother the basketball player's last name is Thomas? I'm guessing he's his real brother.

When they showed him playing his game for the greece team, I'm suprised they didn't T him up for cursing that much on the court. But, it was hilarius that and when he kept telling the other team to sign him next season.

I was also thinking if the guys at the McDonalds A-Game hated him because he kept calling them country boys, lol.

The next airings are late as hell.

15. Really Lost One

yeah, haha. i agree SP23. i dont get how he was projected to go in top 10 but doesnt even get drafted. he must have a horrible work ethic that the scouts found out about or something. i just cant believe a team didnt even pick him up as an undrafted FA. obviously there is a side of the story we dont know about. but all in all, a great documentary. very fun and enjoyable.

16. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting SP23:</div><div class="quote_post">BTW does anyone know why Telfair's brother the basketball player's last name is Thomas? I'm guessing he's his real brother.</div>
    Its probably his half-brother, different father but the same mother.

17. shaq diesel

shaq diesel JBB JustBBall Member

this movie was great....he was a great player in HS...did you guys see that lil finger role ally oop he had...dude got up there for that...should hvae just dunked it..haha

18. STC

STC JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting SP23:</div><div class="quote_post">That is pretty wierd though, how it happens to a couple of players... Like his brother, lead the Big East in scoring, and then was sopposed to go 10-15 in the first and went undrafted. Greg Anthony even said in the video that it would be a steal to pick up Thomas in the 2nd round.</div>

That was Kenny Smith.

If anyone wants to know more about Telfair you can read this book. I actually read it (I don't read [​IMG]) and enjoyed it.

[​IMG]