Tiki Barber

Discussion in 'NFL General' started by Cowboy71, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Cowboy71

Cowboy71 Dallas Cowboys *********

To those that follow Tiki on and off the field, I'm not sure his probable exit from football after this season can be considered a surprise. He's never hogged the limelight on the field in spite of being an elite running back. He's also been expanding his roles outside of football over the last few years.

On NFL network this morning, however, I was surprised to hear Bob Pappa and Randy Cross say that they couldn't believe this was generating national news or any news at all. Basically, they said that anyone who is around Tiki knows he thinks like this and would go out on top. Does this comment seem weird to anyone? Maybe I'm the only one in the nation that doesn't get to hang out with Tiki on a weekly basis. Sure, this isn't exactly surprising since I see him on TV, but most of the nation isn't "around Tiki" much.

I wish Tiki the best of luck if he makes this decision. I think he is one of the top all-around running backs in the game, but I think he will do just as well on the field. He is truly a Frank Gifford type in that he can do a lot of things well, and can communicate with both the locker room and the board room, and I wish him success. He's a good guy.

2. Thoth

Thoth Sisyphus in training

I believe the average career of an NFL RB is 3 yrs and for Tiki to have lasted that long is amazing. He is a class individual and I wish him the best whatever he decides.

Randy Cross (who is an idiot IMO) is surprised this made a splash at all. There has been no news about TO, otherwise, we never would have known about Tiki.

3. cubuffsman78

cubuffsman78 nfl-*****s member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (blackadder)</div><div class='quotemain'>I believe the average career of an NFL RB is 3 yrs and for Tiki to have lasted that long is amazing. He is a class individual and I wish him the best whatever he decides.

Randy Cross (who is an idiot IMO) is surprised this made a splash at all. There has been no news about TO, otherwise, we never would have known about Tiki.</div>
    Well I think the Tiki news is big enough to talk about for a couple of days. TO was back in the limelight on NFL Network today. They just showed 20 minutes worth of TO's meet the press segment he does every Wednesday. Now I'm just waiting for them to throw some overreaction out there about comments he made.

4. Giantsfan1

Giantsfan1 Thread Killer

I have a feeling he pulls thropugh one more season afterwards. Especially if they come close to the SB, if they win it then maybe he will leave. I remember reading articles early this year and he was saying yea in about 2 or 3 years Ill be saying goodbye. Mark Schlereth had an excellent point, bye week 6 or 7 every running back around tiki's age says its a career or atleast doubts any long term playing. But then youlook at players like Curtis Martin who with no cartilage in his kneee is still trying to come back.

I get that Tiki wants to walk when he retires and quite honestly on the east coast he is on TV shows and interviews constantly. He has many off field oppurtunities but I have a feeling he will retire at 33 in 2 seasons.

5. Cowboy71

Cowboy71 Dallas Cowboys *********

His Fox contract was just a one-year contract. I think he enjoys that, among other things. In November, he is able to start negotiating with all networks. I think the results of that may have an impact on his final decision.

6. MysteryMan

MysteryMan nfl-*****s member

Tiki is a class guy and always seems to be enjoying football. Come on what other guy do you know that would get hit really hard and then gets up smiling saying nice hit.

7. Thoth

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MysteryMan)</div><div class='quotemain'>Tiki is a class guy and always seems to be enjoying football. Come on what other guy do you know that would get hit really hard and then gets up smiling saying nice hit.</div>
    Ricky Williams? But, then, he might have had too much grass... and I don't mean what he was just laying on.

8. Thoth

I do not doubt Tiki's intentions or sincerity. The thing that bothered me was the timing.

It was said that part of their game plan against Dallas was to frustrate Terrell. What would do that better than stealing the limelight?

9. MKIV_Supra

MKIV_Supra 2006 NFL-*****s FF Grand Champion

Even if he does retire after the season, the question is, is he HOF worthy?

10. Zackman

Zackman The Historian

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MKIV_Supra)</div><div class='quotemain'>Even if he does retire after the season, the question is, is he HOF worthy?</div>
    Without a doubt. He's the N.Y. Giants All-Time leading rusher. This ain't no expansion franchise.

11. Giantsfan1

Giantsfan1 Thread Killer

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zackman)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MKIV_Supra)</div><div class='quotemain'>Even if he does retire after the season, the question is, is he HOF worthy?</div>
    Without a doubt. He's the N.Y. Giants All-Time leading rusher. This ain't no expansion franchise.</div>
    agreed, he is only one of 4 players to ever have 9000+ rushing 4500 recieveing yards.

The other 3 are Faulk, Payton, and I am missing someone if someone remembers please remind me.

12. MKIV_Supra

MKIV_Supra 2006 NFL-*****s FF Grand Champion

Still amazes me that he is going to retire at the age of 31 (or 32) though.

13. DP

DP He shoots, he scores!

Its not a huge surprise to me. Hes not really talked about alot. Which is a good thing, In my opinion. But if hes that young I say a few more years.

14. J-E-T-S 1083

J-E-T-S 1083 The Original Jets Junkie

hes still at the top of his game i hope he stays a few more seasons hes a great running back. I'm not surprised though I've heard rumors about his retirement last year I think and thats why I didnt take him in the keeper league when I had the option. I wish him luck