Tim Hardaway Rips Homosexuals

Discussion in 'NBA General' started by norespect, Feb 14, 2007.

1. norespect

norespect JBB gotta nuke something...

Ex Nba'er Tim Hardaway announced on (Miami?) radio that he "hates gay people." He went on to say that if he knew of a gay teammate, he would ask management to trade the gay or himself. The NBA has subsiquently removed Hardaway from any more league promotions.

What an idiot. When someone makes comments like this, are they expecting others to agree? You can feel how you want on the inside, just don't go on the radio and make urself look like a douche.

link

2. dallasdude

dallasdude JBB JustBBall Member

LOL..And I always thought Tim Hardaway was gay.

3. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

<div class="quote_poster">norespect Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Ex Nba'er Tim Hardaway announced on (Miami?) radio that he "hates gay people." He went on to say that if he knew of a gay teammate, he would ask management to trade the gay or himself. The NBA has subsiquently removed Hardaway from any more league promotions.

What an idiot. When someone makes comments like this, are they expecting others to agree? You can feel how you want on the inside, just don't go on the radio and make urself look like a douche.</div>

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2766213

Hardaway said out loud what I'd wager many ignorant, homophobic NBA players are thinking.

4. Midnight Green

Midnight Green NFLC nflcentral.net Member

Im just going to quote my post from the off topic section..

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">I personally am not homophobic (and do not support Tim's statements), but lets be honest Hardaway just said what a majority of people think. However, because he is Tim Hardaway he it will get made into a big deal.</div>

5. Montaman

Montaman JBB JustBBall Member

Damn, man. The king of the crossover hates gay people. Mr. UTEP Two-Step himself. It's getting harder and harder in the Warriors nation.

6. Butter

Butter JBB Blood Sugar Baby

<div class="quote_poster">dallasdude Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">LOL..And I always thought Tim Hardaway was gay.</div>

He probably is and this is his way of dealing with it.

7. huevonkiller

huevonkiller Change (Deftones)

Student.
    <div class="quote_poster">Butter Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">He probably is and this is his way of dealing with it.</div>

Well to me he comes off as one of those real religious types, which is why he made those comments.

8. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">huevonkiller Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Well to me he comes off as one of those real religious types, which is why he made those comments.</div>

Well then I hope Tim Bug has never had pre-marital sex, because that is also a sin.

It's too, bad Hardaway made those comments and used the word "hate." His career in the media is over and he just showed how ignorant he is.

9. Shapecity

10. Answer_AI03

Answer_AI03 JBB JustBBall Member

he comes off to me like a fckin idiot. how stupid can you get?

11. ROCK4LIFE

ROCK4LIFE Active Member

First off, I think his comments were very IGNORANT and disappointing coming from a player I looked up too. I understand why he'd feel kinda wierd being in the same lockerroom (with a gay), but when he said "I HATE GAY PPL". I was like [​IMG] Even if he felt that way, there are some things you don't say publicly. He made himself look real dumb sayin that.

Hardaway's career in the NBA is ruined all by a IDIOTIC choice of words.

12. Casual

Casual JBB First Team

Hardaway is now "that guy who hates gay people with the killer crossover".

13. Butter

Butter JBB Blood Sugar Baby

<div class="quote_poster">huevonkiller Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Well to me he comes off as one of those real religious types, which is why he made those comments.</div>

[​IMG] Dude I was only kidding.

14. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The NBA banished Tim Hardaway from All-Star weekend in Las Vegas because of his anti-gay remarks. Hardaway, who played in five All-Star games during the 1990s, was already in Las Vegas and scheduled to make a series of public appearances this week on behalf of the league. But after saying, "I hate gay people" during a radio interview, commissioner David Stern stepped in.

"It is inappropriate for him to be representing us given the disparity between his views and ours," Stern said in a statement Thursday.

Hardaway apologized for his comments, which came a week after John Amaechi became the first former NBA player to say he was gay.

"As an African-American, I know all too well the negative thoughts and feelings hatred and bigotry cause," Hardaway said Thursday in a statement issued by his agent. "I regret and apologize for the statements that I made that have certainly caused the same kinds of feelings and reactions.

"I especially apologize to my fans, friends and family in Miami and Chicago. I am committed to examining my feelings and will recognize, appreciate and respect the differences among people in our society," he said. "I regret any embarrassment I have caused the league on the eve of one of their greatest annual events."

Hardaway represented the NBA in Las Vegas this week at a Habitat for Humanity event and a fitness promotion. The former U.S. Olympian was originally scheduled to be an assistant coach at a wheelchair game Thursday night and later appear at the fan-oriented Jam Session.

"I don't need Tim's comments to realize there's a problem," Amaechi told The Associated Press in a phone interview earlier in the day. "People said that I should just shut up and go away — now they have to rethink that."

On a Miami radio show Wednesday, Hardaway was asked how he would interact with a gay teammate.

"First of all, I wouldn't want him on my team," the former Miami Heat star said. "And second of all, if he was on my team, I would, you know, really distance myself from him because, uh, I don't think that is right. I don't think he should be in the locker room while we are in the locker room."

When show host Dan Le Batard told Hardaway those comments were "flatly homophobic" and "bigotry," the player continued.

"You know, I hate gay people, so I let it be known. I don't like gay people and I don't like to be around gay people," he said. "I'm homophobic. I don't like it. It shouldn't be in the world or in the United States."

Hardaway also said if he did find out that a teammate was gay, he would ask for the player to be removed from the team.

"Something has to give," Hardaway said. "If you have 12 other ballplayers in your locker room that's upset and can't concentrate and always worried about him in the locker room or on the court or whatever, it's going to be hard for your teammates to win and accept him as a teammate."

Later that night, Hardaway apologized during a telephone interview with WSVN-TV in Miami.

"Yes, I regret it. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said I hate gay people or anything like that," he said. "That was my mistake."

Two major gay and lesbian groups denounced Hardaway's remarks.

"Hardaway's comments are vile, repulsive, and indicative of the climate of ignorance, hostility and prejudice that continues to pervade sports culture," said Neil Giuliano, president of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation. "And by apologizing not for his bigotry, but rather for giving voice to it, he's reminding us that this ugly display is only the tip of a very large iceberg."

Said Matt Foreman, president of the National Gay & Lesbian Task Force: "Hardaway is a hero to thousands of young people. And that's what makes his comments so troubling. Sadly, his words simply put the pervasive homophobia in the NBA on the table."</div>

Hardaway Banished for Anti-Gay Tirade

15. Miami Flash City

Miami Flash City JBB All Day

Props to Hardaway [​IMG]

16. Midnight Green

Midnight Green NFLC nflcentral.net Member

17. phunDamentalz

phunDamentalz JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Miami Flash City Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Props to Hardaway [​IMG]</div>

are you gay?

18. Miami Flash City

Miami Flash City JBB All Day

<div class="quote_poster">phunDamentalz Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">are you gay?</div>

..wtf?? [​IMG]

I just think this whole situation is a joke, I mean big deal Hardaway don't like Gays..[​IMG] Props to him for being real and actually admitting how he feels unlike all the other straight people who are knocking him but feel the same way.

19. phunDamentalz

phunDamentalz JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Miami Flash City Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">..wtf?? [​IMG]

I just think this whole situation is a joke, I mean big deal Hardaway don't like Gays..[​IMG] Props to him for being real and actually admitting how he feels unlike all the other straight people who are knocking him but feel the same way.</div>
    1. he doesn't deserve props for anything, it's a bigoted statement period. does Kramer deserve props?
    2. how do you know they feel the same way? there are many straight people who have no problem with gay people. for example, me. one of my best friends is gay. i would not feel uncomfortable in front of him, even in a locker room. i don't always want to hear his stories, but i let him know when he's giving me too much information. it's pretty obvious to me that most straight people who have a problem with gay people are really self-hating gay people...otherwise why would you care....

20. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

<div class="quote_poster">Miami Flash City Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">..wtf?? [​IMG]

I just think this whole situation is a joke, I mean big deal Hardaway don't like Gays..[​IMG] Props to him for being real and actually admitting how he feels unlike all the other straight people who are knocking him but feel the same way.</div>

Yeah, you have to give him credit for being open and up front.

I mean, say what you want about the KKK or Neo-Nazis; at least they are honest. That deserves our respect.