Time to play DC

Discussion in 'Oregon Ducks' started by Targus, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Targus

Targus Suspended

Keeping you safe. If I tell you more, you would b
    We can all probably agree, Oregon is going to score. We're going to score fast and score a lot. Nick Fairley will be a challenge, but we have some counter weapons of our own.

So, let's play DC. Let's talk Cam Newton.

Newton was brilliant against SC, 17-of-28 passes for 335 yards and four touchdowns while running for 73 yards and two touchdowns.

Do we designated a full-time Newton spy? Matthews? Spy only on second and third and long? Is Matthews fast enough to bring Newton down in the open field?

I think we stack the box and make Newton throw on us. I trust our corners with man coverage. We've seen WR's like Smith and Zachery before, but Adams is solid - 70 ygs/7 TD's - he's a tall and speedy guy. I'm also concerned that if we designate a spy, Lutzenkirchen from the TE position will end up burning us. I've watched Lutz burn teams who have attempted to use an LB spy on Newton and he has 5 TD's out of his TE position.

It's a tough call....

What say you?

2. BlazersBlood

BlazersBlood It's flowing within me.

1st, the Dlinemen need to stay in their lanes. I'd have the DEs play contain, and not bend around the edge to try for the sack. The DEs need to keep Newton in the pocket.

2nd, zone blitzing. I'd love to throw as many wrinkles at Newton as possible.

3rd, zone coverage. We can't afford man-to-man coverage and allow Newton to break off long runs when our DBs have their heads turned. It's going to take 11 guys with their eyes on Cam to keep him from going wild.

And most important of all, we have to tackle well. Wrap up, don't go for the big hit. Swarm the ball and gang tackle.

3. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I honestly can't even begin to try to figure out how to beat this team, but my best guess would be to stop the run and make Cam beat us through the air. I would rather have him throwing, rather than seeing our corners try to tackle him in the open field.

4. Wheels

Wheels Is That A Challenge?!?!1! Staff Member Global Moderator

This is the biggest thing to me. I only saw about 3 or 4 Auburn games but when he would break for those huge runs, the DB's didnt see him until it was too late, they turn their head and he was already far enough away to get away, or the barely could turn around to get any leverage to bring him down. Its important though to get pressure on Cam and not give him all day to pick apart the zone, and time for the WR's to find the hole in the zone and sit there.