Time to question the medical staff on the Yankees?

Discussion in 'New York Yankees' started by Hammerojustice, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Hammerojustice

Hammerojustice Chief Caveman, Keeper of Thor's Hammer

"By no means is this complete, but here’s a list of the most significant injuries and re-injuries over the last two seasons (in roughly chronological order):

Michael Pineda (right shoulder): Diagnosed with inflammation in Spring Training last year, then suffered a torn labrum during an April rehab game. Had season-ending surgery last May.
    Brett Gardner (right elbow): Hurt his elbow making a sliding catch last April, suffered three (!!!) setbacks before having surgery in July that effectively ended his season. Three setbacks!
    Andy Pettitte (left leg): Hard-hit ground ball fractured his leg near his ankle, then he suffered a setback because he pushed his rehab too hard.
    Derek Jeter (left ankle, right quad): Played through a bone bruise in his left ankle last September, suffered a fracture in October. Wasn’t ready for Opening Day, then had a setback (a new, smaller fracture) in May. Returned from the DL and suffered a Grade I quad strain the very same day.
    A-Rod (left hip, left quad): Hip surgery in April before suffering the Grade I quad strain on Friday, three days before he was tentatively scheduled to return.
    Granderson (left forearm, right hand): Two fractures, both flukes. Bad luck.
    Cervelli (right hand, right elbow): Foul ball broke the hand, then he suffered a stress reaction in his elbow during rehab.
    Mark Teixeira (right wrist): Injured his tendon sheath taking batting practice in March. Returned to the team in late-May following three months of rehab, needed season-ending surgery roughly two weeks later.
    Kevin Youkilis (back): Came to the Yankees with a history of back problems, hit the DL with a bulging disc in late-April. Came off the DL in late-May and was hurt again less than two weeks later, this time with (likely) season-ending surgery"

granted, some were freak accidents... but there are too many to just be a coincidence...

http://riveraveblues.com/2013/07/its-time-to-question-the-yankees-medical-staff-91213/

2. Majorball

Majorball Well-Known Member

I have been saying that all along. Also the trainers have to be looked at here to. Proper stretching routines, Its been insane for several years now.

3. Rick2583

Rick2583 Chairman of the board

You're right Hammer I mean to a point you can look at A-Rod Pettitte & Jeter & attribute to age. But even with that there's just way to many revolving door injuries. Its like you're good to go, NO WAIT! I've been a fan of this game for 50 years & I don't remember EVER seeing this many injuries & the reaccurence of injuries. Just wrong.

4. Messiah717

Messiah717 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

The amount of injuries this season have been so ridiculous I think you have to question everything. Even guys like Nunez, Nix and Phelps have missed time.

5. Hammerojustice

Hammerojustice Chief Caveman, Keeper of Thor's Hammer

Granted... Youk was a back injury waiting to happen and I think most agree that he never should have been brought in... Jeter's was a freak accident... Pettitte/Jeter/A-Rod pushing too hard in rehab has to have some of the ownership fall on the players (admirably trying hard) but the staff should have been reeling them back in... just way too many injuries...

6. Yblue

Yblue Member

At this point i think its safe to question just about everything with this team.
    Ita hard to point to what they do well anymore. Produce relievers maybe, thats about it.

7. bern_baby_bern

bern_baby_bern Member

Wow Blue, nice positive spins with the relievers. the ESPN board Blue would have correctly called it producing enough failed starters to build a bullpen ;)

This team sure does seem to have the opposite of the midas touch these days. Hopefully they don't bring anymore retreads in.

8. Majorball

Majorball Well-Known Member

On the other hand, that is all that is available to them. People give Ainge shit for trading KG and Pierce, but it signal a rebuild, The Yankees need to have a plan, which who know if they have, but next year isn't going to be any better.