Politics Title VII Doesn't Protect Gay Employees... again!

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by BlazerCaravan, Jul 27, 2017.

1. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

2. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

The interesting thing is that neither party to the case, nor the judge, asked for input. The Trump Administration (the gays love him!) went out of their way to take an antigay position.

3. kingslayer

kingslayer Well-Known Member

4. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    It never did.

5. bodyman5000 and 1

bodyman5000 and 1 Lions, Tigers, Me, Bears

6. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

The courts have indeed been divided over this issue. But what Sessions proclaimed, on behalf of the Trump Administration (the gays love him!) was to intervene in a private employer court case when neither party, nor the judge, asked for federal intervention. It is very very unusual for the Justice Department to become involved in discrimination cases involving private employers; they are handled by EEOC or states. So the Trump Administration (who would be the most progay ever!) went out of their way, violated procedural norms, to make it clear that gays and transpeople are not covered by federal civil rights laws (unlike Hillary Clinton, Trump would protect gay people against hateful ideology )

7. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Depends on your interpretation, I think.

One could look at it as: "We fired him because he's attracted to his own gender, and we only want normal people who are attracted to the opposite gender, and Title VII doesn't cover attraction."
    Or, one could look at it as: "They'll employ women who are attracted to men, but won't employ me because I'm a man attracted to men. Therefore, they're discriminating against me because of my gender, which Title VII prohibits."

If it were "obvious", it wouldn't have been ruled on multiple different ways over the past several decades.

BlazerCaravan and Denny Crane like this.
  8. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    It is the executive branch's duty to defend the existing laws, whether they like them or not.

9. bodyman5000 and 1

bodyman5000 and 1 Lions, Tigers, Me, Bears

It's pretty obvious by the verbal gymnastics you're employing that some well intentioned people tried to reinterpret a law in a way it wasn't written.

I can be attracted to hot air balloons and cotton candy and it has nothing to do with my gender.

I suppose you could say that women that are sexually attracted to hot air balloons keeping their jobs while men with the same mental disorder are fired would be gender discrimination.

If the people who wrote the law meant to include sexual orientation they would have done so.

Like I said, seems easy enough to fix.

I'm all for it but I don't like people changing laws in an inappropriate manner.

If tomorrow you get a speeding ticket and some cop reinterpreted the law to say that they could sieze your car for a minor infraction you'd be right to be angry.