To the Oden "critics".

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Idog1976, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Idog1976

Idog1976 Well-Known Member

I look to the stars.
    Ok so let me first clear something up.

BlazerMulletMan. I owe you an apology I've behaved like a prick towards you out of frustration with your position. For that I am sorry.

Bgrantfan/PapaG after all your behavior on this forum, there is simply no way I'm going to apologize to you as you don't deserve it. Taking the moral highground as you like to do now and then is simply laughable.

OldManGrouch, I respect you even if I vehemently disagree with your Oden stance.

Look I've been a blazer fan since 77' when my father rushed into the street carrying me going nuts over the Championship. I was right there in the crowd being bouyed by the exuberance and reportedly clapping and saying Blazers over and over. I've been a fan since my age was measured in months not years (I was born in spring of 1976 FWIW.) So I'm as old school a fan as any of you oldsters and as a portion of my life I surpass most of you. I used to say "Two just like that" and "Two for Larue".

With that established here's why I am driven so nuts by the Oden "critics". It's not the guy's fault. He didn't draft himself. KP and PA made that decision so Oden vs Durant is THEIR FAULT, not Oden's. Oden may have hyped himself coming off a frustrating loss in the NCAA Finals and honestly believing he could deliver on his youthful exuberance. It was KP and the media both local and national that pumped this guy up into a once in a lifetime center. Yes, he added to it but come the fuck on he was 19 and had the national spotlight on him. Since then it's been one injury after another and I've watched that bright shiny exuberant kid turned into an increasingly hardened young man. Under the constant scrunity and criticism of media AND THE FANS, he has become withdrawn, guarded with the media and only happy on camera when it's from afar and he is unaware or uncaring.

I remember when he first got the MF surgery on his blog a bunch of people absolutely trepanned the guy. All sorts of major assholery was evident and personal attacks galore as though he had somehow shit in other people's cereal and enjoyed the plummeting crash from stardom and agonizing rehab. Some fans turned on him instantly in an aha GOTCHA kind of way, especially those who correctly picked Durant as the pick (I still feel this is yet to be decided, but many want to write history in advance). After being a small minority, the Durant camp went absolutely nuts. Thanks to asshole pieces of shit like Simmons, the Bowie meme spread as Simmons successfully made everyone forget that he PICKED ODEN OVER DURANT! Simmons being the piece of shit flip flopping shit head that he is, wanted Oden when he thought Boston would get the pick and then proceeded to jump ship once Boston got screwed. None the less, his national megaphone put the Bowie vs Jordan 2.0 meme out there, and it stuck.

People being mindless sheep that they are, ate this up with a spoon never bothering to compare the types of injuries, the patterns or all the ways in which Durant is NOT Jordan and Oden is NOT Bowie. I won't go into that here as it's been rehashed endlessly. The point is this is stupid in the box thinking of a narrative sort that people just can't seem to climb out of much like the old lady who has fallen and can't get up.

So what has Oden done wrong? Well he took a picture of his dong and txt'd it to a girl. I'm sure he is one of MILLIONS of guys his age who has done the same thing. Young people's sense of privacy is downright insane to me, but on the other hand that's their business...until it's leaked to the media by a petty person. Was this embarrassing to the franchise? Yes. On the other hand it's more joke fodder then a return to the Jail Blazer era. So has Oden done anything wrong by the team? No! He has done everything the trainers and medical staff (another group that might share in the blame along with KP and PA) have asked of him. His sole mistake in my opinion was the 24 hour fitness fiasco. Now that was STUPID! However, it showed he loved the game and wanted to play along with what we now know is a pattern of poor judgement out of innocent youth. B-Roy being equally stupid with the rap video thing, but who cares about that EITHER.

So then why criticize Oden? Sour grapes over Durant? :check:

Sure plenty of that!

Why else? A desire to be right? I think this is true as well for some folks.

Why else? A desire to continue to have a victim mentality as a fan of a Franchise that has WILDLY fluctuating fortunes (we've done damn fucking well as a small market franchise thank you very much) it's hard not to be a bit manic-depressive. Definitely some folks who lived through crushing disappointment (Jordan, Walton's injuries, Game 7 of WCF etc.) almost feel more comfortable steeling themselves for certain doom then trying to look at things objectively.

So lets look at some facts. Has Oden disappointed everyone who isn't his mother? I would say definitely yes and I include myself here. Is it his fault? No! Definitely not! Any fault lies with the following in order of importance: PA, KP, the Media, the Blazers medical and training staff, HCP for putting together awesome mixes that always have us drooling for next year.

So when you criticize Oden and say "Oh woe is us, we're doomed he will be a loser, cut bait CUT FUCKING BAIT!!!" You are giving up on a guy who is key by any RATIONAL estimation to getting a ring. If you are giving up on Oden, I would say you are giving up on the Blazers. While we are at it, why are folks so non-chalant about Roy's injury history which, and this will sound crazy to some, is FAR more worrisome then Oden's. Why? Well his injuries are all soft tissue, muscle related and foot related. Those are the injuries that NEVER heal completely and NEVER go away. Roy has accomplished a ton, and certainly far more then Oden, but I believe his injury history is just as scary if not more so then Oden. I also believe Oden will still be playing when Roy is done. You can disagree with this last Oden injury vs. Roy injury all you want and I'm open to that debate.

What I'm fucking sick of is the CONSTANT, RELENTLESS drumbeat of Oden hate. And it is ODEN HATE, make no mistake. If people are upset about not getting Durant direct that hate at PA and KP where it belongs! Oden is doing the best he can and I support him and WILL continue to support him because to me Oden is the single most important player on this team in regards to potential championships. This was true last year and is 10x more true after the three headed Monster team in Miami was created.

So for god sakes get off Oden's jock and start supporting him and the team. If you see Oden phoning in a game (and we know he's healthy) or you hear reports ala D Miles that he is phoning in rehab then go to town. But until then please, PLEASE get off his jock, besides have you seen that thing? That's like being a Romania soldier during the time of Vlad Ţepeș, you're just asking to get impaled!

In closing lets go after players who by statements or actions aren't showing their best effort (Rudy for example) or McMillan. Guys who are giving it their all every night whether rehabbing or playing shouldn't be criticized they should be supported as long as they wear the Black and Red.

Weav likes this.
  2. MrSelfDestruct

MrSelfDestruct Louie, Louie, Louie

Buying
  3. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

What's sad is that a lot of people baggin on GO are the same ones who wanted us to draft him in the first place. Like Simmons.

4. MrSelfDestruct

MrSelfDestruct Louie, Louie, Louie

Buying
    Just kidding.

I really don't think (in most cases) it's Oden hate. I honestly think it's frustration. Frustration that we expected a once-in-a-generation center, and instead we thus far have gotten a player who it seems will play a full season once in this generation. Greg is one of my favorites on the team and a joy to watch play. But at the end of the day, he hasn't lived up to the enormously high expectations.

Don't sweat what people say on the internet. Or as Nik so eloquently put it in another thread: Illegitimis non carborundum.

5. hasoos

hasoos Well-Known Member

Thing in life don't always go your way. Oden so far has been one of those. I want the best for him, it just hasn't worked out so far. But considering that other centers have had worse things happen to them and made it back (Zidrunas Ilgauskas for one) it's still not over until it's over.

6. Shooter

Shooter Unanimously Great

advertising
    You're a Johnny-Come-Lately, my friend. I was a Blazer fan from Day 1 (1970), and attended several games at the Memorial Coliseum before you were even a twinkle in your father's eye. And unlike you, who were being carried on your father's shoulders at the age of 1 during the Blazer's championship, I actually watched that series with Philly and knew what was going on.

Again, I have to disagree. Everybody thought Oden was going to be great, including people who actually played the game. That includes Bill Russell, Kareem, and Walton. I remember an ad featuring those 3 Hall-of-Famers giving advice to Oden about joining their "club."

Why even bring that up? I had forgotten about it, to tell you the truth. Oden has been a disappointment because he can't stay healthy and help the team. Period.

I'd say you're full of crap. Regardless of my feelings about Oden, I will always be a Blazer fan.

Great. Now you're making me feel even more depressed.

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. All Blazer fans are terribly disappointed in Oden, but I don't know anyone who hates him. Where do you get this stuff?

Of course he is. That's why everybody's so upset about his constant injuries.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  7. Idog1976

Idog1976 Well-Known Member

I look to the stars.

I've been a fan longer then you by percentage of life lived, unless you were born in 1971. Also I'm arguably more diehard in a way as I've never cognizantly seen a championship and grew up with the constant beatdown of the early to mid eighties. Being old doesn't make you more of a fan is my point.

As to Oden I don't see any disagreement. However, why bash him? Why constantly bring up his disappointing injuries? Why be certain of negative outcomes? I think I outlined the major reasons above.

8. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

You all need to get a hobby!

9. BLAZER PROPHET

BLAZER PROPHET Well-Known Member

dental malpractice claims adjuster
    Or a life.

10. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

Thanks, but I already had one. Wasn't that impressed with it. :devilwink:

11. oldmangrouch

I thought we already had one...your wife! :pimp:

12. oldmangrouch

On a more serious note, there is no reason to "hate" Oden. It isn't as if he wrecked his career with drug abuse, or hurt himself by base-jumping naked off the Vista Bridge.

There is also no reason to "hate" the front office. I was a huge Durant fan, but even I agreed that Oden was the right choice *at the time*.

When things go wrong, there is a tendency to get caught up in fixing/denying blame - rather than coming up with a solution. Neither finger-pointing nor denial are going to help the team win a title.

13. Shooter

Shooter Unanimously Great

advertising
    I have no idea what that means. However, let me just point out that you weren't even alive for the first 6 seasons of Blazer history . . .

14. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    Whats the 1976 all about on name?

15. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

I think that is when he was born!...... I.E........HCP1972

16. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    I was born in 86' does that mean i.e. 1970

17. oldmangrouch

<grumble grumble> miserable little douchebags <grumble grumble> not even old enough to be out of diapers <grumble grumble> never listen to your elders <grumble grumble>

18. gatorpops

gatorpops Allen Crabb hits winning shot on Nov24 vs Blazers

Honey-Do's
    Fixed it for ya! :lol:

19. gatorpops

gatorpops Allen Crabb hits winning shot on Nov24 vs Blazers

Honey-Do's
    Actually it is just about to begin. The last three years are like he has just been in college. Now he begins his NBA carreer.

20. Blazer_Mullet_Man

Blazer_Mullet_Man Member

Perfecting being awesome
    Thanks for the post, bro. Too bad I'm a few countries away and we can't watch a Blazer game over a few beers.
    Message boards are tough when discussions involve passionate issues like Blazer basketball.

I originally wrote a long response, but my internet goes in and out and I lost it.
    I'm on your side, man. I HOPE Oden dominates this year and for many years.

Go Blazers.