Tony Kanaan struggles but qualifies for Indy 500

Discussion in 'Racing' started by truebluefan, May 24, 2010.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

For the worst part of two long days, Tony Kanaan sensed he was standing on the wrong side of racing history. If he failed to qualify for the Indianapolis 500 -- and crashes Saturday and Sunday morning put his spot in unimaginable peril -- it would have been the greatest upset since Roger Penske's cars failed to qualify in 1995.

How could this be? With T.K., a guy who never had qualified worse than sixth in eight races, a driver who led laps in seven of those eight Indy 500s? How could this be with Andretti Autosport, a team, even through all its May struggles, that remains just one step below the Ganassi and Penske elite?

"This was a nightmare," Kanaan said, the weight of the world lifted from his slight shoulders. "But now, I'm happier at No. 32 than I was winning the pole in 2005."

http://www.indystar.com/article/20100524/SPORTS15/5240309/1052/SPORTS01?source=nletter-sports

2. ¹²³

¹²³ ¼½¾

I'm glad they found a way to put the car in the race. Kanaan is a classy pilot and a great guy.