Top 10 running backs

Discussion in 'NFL General' started by T.Oforphil81, Feb 17, 2005.

1. T.Oforphil81

T.Oforphil81 nfl-*****s member

1. Jim Brown
    2. Walter Payton
    3. Emmitt Smith
    4. Barry Sanders
    5t. E. Dickerson
    5t. O.J. Simpson
    7. Earl Campbell
    8. Gale Sayers
    9. Marshall Faulk
    10. Tony Dorse

What do yall got to say?

2. Bearsfan1

Bearsfan1 2 Time Defending FF Champion

1. Walter Payton
    2. Emmitt Smith
    3. J. Brown
    4 Eric Dickerson
    5. O.J. Simpson
    6 Earl Campbell
    7. Marcus Allen
    8. Franco harris
    9. Thurmann Thomas
    10. Marshall Faulk

3. Eagles4Life

Eagles4Life He Hate Me

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BearsFan1)</div><div class='quotemain'>1. Walter Payton
    2. Emmitt Smith
    3. J. Brown
    4 Eric Dickerson
    5. O.J. Simpson
    6 Earl Campbell
    7. Marcus Allen
    8. Franco harris
    9. Thurmann Thomas
    10. Marshall Faulk</div>

I would love for you to justify why you left the third all time leading rusher (Barry Sanders) of the list.

4. Bearsfan1

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Eagles4Life)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BearsFan1)</div><div class='quotemain'>1. Walter Payton
    2. Emmitt Smith
    3. J. Brown
    4 Eric Dickerson
    5. O.J. Simpson
    6 Earl Campbell
    7. Marcus Allen
    8. Franco harris
    9. Thurmann Thomas
    10. Marshall Faulk</div>

I would love for you to justify why you left the third all time leading rusher (Barry Sanders) of the list.</div>

I left him off the list because he is the career leader for Caught for a Loss.
    While you can credit that kind of thing to the OL, even though had several pro bowlers, he was so far ahead of everyone else it wasnt even close. His style was not condusive to winning, becuase he was a lottery back.

5. Cowboy71

Cowboy71 Dallas Cowboys *********

Actually, I want to know how you left off Sayers. He was Sanders without the negative gains. And a Bear no less. I'm not disappointed you left off Bronco, but Gayle?

In no order:
    Payton
    Sayers
    Brown
    Sanders
    Dorsett
    Smith
    Dickerson
    Simpson
    Campbell

Top nine were easy. I like Marcus Allen at 10 over Faulk and Thomas. Not sure why - just always liked his drive and he made fewer mistakes than Thomas.

I would have love to see what Bo Jackson would have done without the injury and if he actually cared about the game at all.

6. Eagles4Life

Eagles4Life He Hate Me

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BearsFan1)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Eagles4Life)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BearsFan1)</div><div class='quotemain'>1. Walter Payton
    2. Emmitt Smith
    3. J. Brown
    4 Eric Dickerson
    5. O.J. Simpson
    6 Earl Campbell
    7. Marcus Allen
    8. Franco harris
    9. Thurmann Thomas
    10. Marshall Faulk</div>

I would love for you to justify why you left the third all time leading rusher (Barry Sanders) of the list.</div>

I left him off the list because he is the career leader for Caught for a Loss.
    While you can credit that kind of thing to the OL, even though had several pro bowlers, he was so far ahead of everyone else it wasnt even close. His style was not condusive to winning, becuase he was a lottery back.</div>

In one breath you talk about how great Vinny Testaverdi is, and how it's not his fault that he has a low winning percentage. Then you take Barry and make him the fault to all of the Lions losing. What about the fact that he never played with a good QB, he made Scott Mitchell look like a pro-bowler fo christ sakes. He was a great player, and would have demolished any record in the book, had he not retired. To blame him for Lions losing is a joke. I will never forget when the Lions game up 55 points to Rodney Peete and the Eagles in a playoff game, yeah that was Barry's fault.

7. TheBeef

TheBeef Commish of FUN!

Barry Sanders style was great to watch, but hes right about winning, it wasnt condusive to consistent success....he was a lottery ticket back....he would get stopped for 2 yard losses on 4 straight carries(which doomed 4 straight drives by putting the team in 2nd and 12 situations), then on the 5th carry he would go for 40 yards....so his statline reads 5 carries for 32 yards, over 6 a carry....then hes back to losing a yard or 2 on the next carry....damn he was fun to watch, but I wouldnt want him on my team....I do put him in the top 10 because he has such amazing ability, but his trust in that ability would get him in trouble more than it should have....

My Top 10

1.Walter Payton(he did everything you want well, hes the best football player ever, not just the best RB)

2.Jim Brown

3.Barry Sanders

4.Emmitt Smith

5.Eric Dickerson

6.Jerome Bettis

7.Tony Dorsett

8. Marshall Faulk

9.Marcus Allen

10.Curtis Martin

Honorable mention to those that missed the list but made the 10k yards club....

OJ Simpson
    Thurman Thomas
    Ricky Watters
    Eddie George
    John Riggins

8. Bearsfan1

I think you are selling thurman thomas short. Bettis over him?

9. Bleedblk&gld

Bleedblk&gld The Drive

Screw the top 10 here's a list of the best RB's of all time(including some vets that are still playing)

G. Sayers
    B. Sanders
    E. Smith
    J. Brown
    T. Dorsett
    J. Bettis
    M. Faulk
    W. Payton
    E. Dickerson
    M. Allen
    T. Thomas
    H. Walker
    O.J. Simpson
    C. Martin
    F. Harris
    J. Riggins
    T. Allen
    R. Watters
    O. Anderson
    E. Byner
    L. Csonka
    G. Riggs
    C. Dillon
    E. George
    R. Craig
    P. Holmes
    J. Perry
    J. Taylor
    G. Rogers
    J. Brooks

And my list of coulda shoulda woulda's
    J. Anderson
    T. Davis
    R. Williams
    B. Jackson

10. TheBeef

TheBeef Commish of FUN!

A comparison of the numbers between Bettis and Thomas:

Thomas 2877car....12074yds....65Tds....472rec....4458yds....23Tds

Bettis 3369car....13294....82Tds....196rec....1409yds....3Tds

Its amazing just how similar these numbers are....216 touches seperate them....less than 2000 total yards seperate them....just 3 total TDs sperate them....I guess after looking closely at the numbers, Thomas was more productive but was in a wideopen offense that featured him as a main staple....the K-Gun was ahead of its time and Thurman benefited from it....iB still think ettis has had an incredible career and is king of the 250 pounders....I would rate him ahead of Thomas becasue I prefer a big physical runner....

11. Cowboy71

Cowboy71 Dallas Cowboys *********

Thats a tough one between Thomas and Bettis. I didn't include Thomas partially for the same type of reason Sanders was getting criticized for. In Thomas's case, he seemed to have a tendency to cough up a lot of balls in big games. Personally, I'm thankful for that...I owe 93 and 94 to him.

12. b0b2233

b0b2233 nfl-*****s member

well, as for top 10? i am just gonna chime in on the barry thing...
    as for barry, i believe that he was an awesome back, and i would want him on my team!!! provided i had a good qb and a good team...he should have not went to the lions...he deserved to be on a better team...but what i dont understand is how bad the lions actually were!! i mean they were a bad team and that means good draft picks...but why not draft a good qb? and a few good D players?? i dont know..i am not a lions historian..but i knowing what i do i figure that it was bad draft managing....

i do believe walter and emmitt are so similar....but then again...i do belive emmitt is better in some areas that walter wasnt and vica versa....i think emmitt is a pinch better than walter...maybe it was because how good the team was, and in some ways not, and he proved that later in his career...as for walter, he is possibly one of the best...maybe even tied...but it depends on how you rate RBs...if u rate by records...emmitt is number 1 if u rate by ability and records and the way they play...its a hard desicison...my top 3 of course are

1. Emmitt
    2. Walter
    3. Barry

13. J-E-T-S 1083

J-E-T-S 1083 The Original Jets Junkie

thank you beef for finally putting Curtis Martin up there. He definatly there in the top 10. hes 4th in all time rushing yards. Hes one of the most underrated players of all time i'd say

14. Bearsfan1

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (J-E-T-S 1083)</div><div class='quotemain'>thank you beef for finally putting Curtis Martin up there. He definatly there in the top 10. hes 4th in all time rushing yards. Hes one of the most underrated players of all time i'd say</div>

I cant believe i left him off the list. You are right he should be on there